Recommendations for Second Run

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Second Run and the films on them.
senseabove

Re: Recommendations for Second Run

#501 Post by senseabove » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:40 am

It's been suggested a few times before, including by me earlier this year after seeing it at Noir City. MichaelB said they'd love to but it's not possible until it gets restored. It also led to an interesting discussion about its production history in another thread.

Here's hoping its appearance in the online Noir City last week boosted its reputation yet more and somebody'll get around to restoring it.

Franz Propp

#502 Post by Franz Propp » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:52 am

These two late '60s Czechoslovak titles are, I think, long overdue for an English-friendly release: Antonín Máša's "Hotel pro cizince" (1967) and Zbyněk Brynych's "Já, spravedlnost" (1968).

Stefan Andersson

#503 Post by Stefan Andersson » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:35 pm

Here are two film suggestions for Second Run, both directed by Tunisian filmmaker Moufida Tlatli (from 2011, she served as Tunisia´s Minister of Culture):

Silences of the Palace (1994) - A woman returns to an abandoned royal residence; I remember it as a haunting study of gender and memory, but refrain from longer comment since it was so long since I saw it.

The Season of Men (2000), a story of an island community where the men are away, working elsewhere, for 11 out of 12 months (haven´t seen It myself so I can´t comment on it).

Neither have I seen her last film "Nadia et Sarra" (2004), a mother-daughter drama starring Hiam Abbass (Freysa in Blade Runner 2049).

Sight & Sound interview from 1995:
https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/ ... a-feminism

Recent obituary for Moufida Tlatli:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/f ... -film-dies
("This article was amended on 9 February to correct the assertion that Tlatli was the first female Arab film-maker to direct a feature film.")

borisgodunov

#504 Post by borisgodunov » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:55 pm

I'm not sure whether Second Run is the right label for it (maybe rather Arrow Academy), but I would love to see a well-curated Michael Cacoyannis box set (five films: Stella, Electra, Zorba the Greek, The Trojan Women, Iphigenia). They are so hard to get, not to mention in good quality.

Aunt Peg

#505 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:44 am

borisgodunov wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:55 pm
I'm not sure whether Second Run is the right label for it (maybe rather Arrow Academy), but I would love to see a well-curated Michael Cacoyannis box set (five films: Stella, Electra, Zorba the Greek, The Trojan Women, Iphigenia). They are so hard to get, not to mention in good quality.
Zorba the Greek is with Fox (now Disney) so that titles would be very unlikely at present. Fox did release a nice Blu Ray back in 2012 and copies can still be purchased obn eBay at least.