The Simpsons List Discussion and Suggestions

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: The Simpsons List Discussion and Suggestions

#226 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:30 am

mfunk9786 wrote:What do folks around here think of Lisa's Substitute?
It's a very fine episode of course, though I must confess I'm not as enamored of Mr. Bergstrom as Lisa is. Still, the ending undoubtedly packs a wallop.

Interesting tidbit about the ending

thirtyframesasecond

#227 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:58 am

Lemmy Caution wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Brother From the Same Planet is one of the best episodes that I never think of first for whatever reason, but it's definitely on my list. "Don't say revenge, don't say revenge"
What I like about the Revenge gag, is not just Homer's amusing argument with his brain.
But the follow-up joke: revenge is in fact a listed reason on the form and the woman casually checks the revenge box and accepts Homer. I love such dual/follow-up jokes.

S4 is a somewhat problematic for me. I think it's uniformly good, and there are some great jokes (as in best Simpson gags), but not too many of the whole episodes really grab hold of me. For example, Marge Gets a Job has a trio of funny "Tibor" jokes. But otherwise is just okay.

The Adoption episode should make my list.
There are a lot of great gags, such as Homer getting encrusted with starfish early in the fight, weaponizing them as throwing stars. Tom dodges the assault, catches them and carefully places the starfish into a nearby tank, saving them ... except for the fact that a shark comes by immediately and gobbles them up. Clever stuff. With good visuals too.

A Streetcar Named Marge and Kamp Krusty are very good. Definitely in consideration.
Well, I haven't gotten to the last disc in my re-watch. And I recall really liking Whacking Day.

And I thought Lisa's Substitute was considered a classic, one of the most emotional of the shows.
I like the Second Season a lot. Even how some of the voices and character models are off at times.
I like "Papa Homer, you are so learned"
"Learned, son, it's pronounced learned"

Also Tom tells Bart something about whales and Pepi (or Pepsi!) asks Homer if it's true and Homer lets out a massive pffffftttt!

I kept thinking this was the one where Homer adopts Moleman as his son but probably not.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#228 Post by Drucker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:05 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:Also Tom tells Bart something about whales and Pepi (or Pepsi!) asks Homer if it's true and Homer lets out a massive pffffftttt!
Tom: You know whales aren't fish? They're mammals, like you and me!
Pepi: Is that true Papa Homer?
Homer: No. Pffft.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#229 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:24 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Homer's Triple Bypass
I love Homer's response to learning the cost of the operation he needs: "Marge, have we deposited any $40,000 checks that haven't cleared yet?"

And of course "Well, if it isn't my old friend Mr. McCraig..."

dustybooks

#230 Post by dustybooks » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:29 am

mfunk9786 wrote:What do folks around here think of Lisa's Substitute? I thought it was widely going to be a shoo-in for high list placement, but seeing Dom's season breakdown from his initial list and not seeing much discussion of it leads me to believe that because it languishes in Season 2, it may be somewhat overlooked. It's the only episode of this show (okay, aside from Homer's Triple Bypass - that perfect animation of Homer at the end, looking exhausted and vulnerable, hit very close to home) that has managed to make me cry. That's gotta be worth something, right?
Lisa's Substitute is my favorite episode. I think it's structured unusually well; the way the A and B-stories coalesce with Lisa and Bergstrom watching Bart's rally down below is a perfect evocation of the difference between those two characters at their best. My favorite moment, cut in syndication, is when Lisa serenades Mr. Bergstrom on the saxophone. It makes me cry too, though not as much as the endings of Bart Gets an F and Bart vs. Thanksgiving (every fucking time). One interesting thing about it, pointed out by somebody else years ago on alt.tv.simpsons, is that Homer's resolution to his kids' three problems is really pretty superficial and the conflict between Homer and Lisa isn't totally resolved by their making up at the end. Lisa's Wedding, in which she truly seems to accept what she's perceived as her dad's shortcomings, provides a sort of closure to this.

Lisa is my favorite character and I think Lisa's Substitute, Lisa's Wedding and Summer of 4 Ft. 2 -- for me, the last truly great episode -- will all be in my top ten or even five.

Incidentally, I rewatched Principal Charming a few days ago. Had forgotten how funny and, well, charming it was, and how well developed Patty and Selma are as characters, probably the first time they didn't serve as flat archetypes. Talking of great, human animation, I love the shot of Patty snoring on the couch after Homer gets home from the barbecue.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#231 Post by barryconvex » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:50 pm

lisa's substitute was one of the first episodes i ever saw back when it first aired and it still holds up. best ending of the entire series and top ten for me definitely...

"still, i'd rather have him chasing me than the wolf man..."

barryconvex

#232 Post by barryconvex » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:03 pm

I kept thinking this was the one where Homer adopts Moleman as his son but probably not.
that's the all-time classic episode where mr. burns adopts bart as his heir and tries to convince him his family doesn't want him back (by showing him actors disguised as his family-including michael caine as homer-on closed circuit tv) after bart wants to leave and go back home...

"people that was all wrong!! homer simpson doesn't say "bough" he says...(burns rifles through script) "d'oh!". now get it right or you'll all be back doing "come blow your horn" at the westport dinner theater!!"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#233 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:08 pm

Burns' Heir was one of the last episodes I cut from my list. The Toys parody outlives the inspiration a million times over

barryconvex

#234 Post by barryconvex » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:07 am

Treehouse of Horror III (Season 4 Ep. 5)

i know this has been quoted elsewhere on this thread but i have to go on record and say this is without a doubt the greatest of the halloween episodes mostly because the "king homer" segment is as good as anything in the show's history. with the "three men climbing the smokestack shot" (taken from the original king kong) comes my single favorite simpsons exchange ever:

carl-hey, i heard we're going to ape Island.
lenny-yeah, to capture a giant ape. i wish we were going to candy apple island.
(unnamed?) character-candy apple island? what do they got there?
carl-apes. but there not so big...

this comes after the immortal smithers/burns exchange after marge shows up to answer a classified ad for the fay wray part:

marge-i'm here about the job...
burns-well you'd be a welcome change of pace from the rest of these crude and uncouth sailors. what do you think smithers?
smithers-i think women and seamen don't mix.
burns-we know what you think...young lady you're hired..

perhaps even more unforgettable though is the natives' dialogue after spotting marge's hair sticking out from behind the bushes:

native-mosi tatupu! mosi tatupu!

subtitle translation:the blue haired woman will make a good sacrifice...

Mosi Tatupu was a samoan born special teams player who played in the NFL for years. iirc he was with the new england patriots from the late 70s to the late 80s...

the first segment-"clown without pity"-is equally brilliant...the third segment-"dial z for zombies" is the weakest of the three but still excellent...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#235 Post by swo17 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:37 am

domino harvey wrote:Burns' Heir was one of the last episodes I cut from my list. The Toys parody outlives the inspiration a million times over
Remind me what the Toys parody is. Burns' Heir has so many great moments, I sometimes forget they're all in the same episode. (I'm smiling now just thinking of the heir auditions.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#236 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:44 am

I can't find the clip from the show but Burns' address to the movie theatre is a direct parody of the bewildering Toys trailer

thirtyframesasecond

#237 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:18 am

swo17 wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Burns' Heir was one of the last episodes I cut from my list. The Toys parody outlives the inspiration a million times over
Remind me what the Toys parody is. Burns' Heir has so many great moments, I sometimes forget they're all in the same episode. (I'm smiling now just thinking of the heir auditions.)
Exaaaaaaaactly

barryconvex

#238 Post by barryconvex » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:26 am

I can't find the clip from the show but Burns' address to the movie theatre is a direct parody of the bewildering Toys trailer
pretty sure you're referring to the beginning of the trailer with robin williams standing in the field of tall grass but the simpsons episode that lifts this is season 6 ep. 18-"a star is burns" aka the springfield film festival episode. in the "burns' heir" episode mr.burns sings the "let's all go the lobby and get ourselves a treat" jingle at one point, if i'm remembering that correctly...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#239 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:49 am

In Star Is Burns, he hires Señor Spielbergo to make a hybrid of Viva Zapata, E.T., and Ben Hur. I don't believe there's anything like you describe there. The scene in Burns' Heir starts like this before going into the "Let's All Go the the Lobby" song:

barryconvex

#240 Post by barryconvex » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:18 am

yes, i was just about to post that my memory had failed me..."...a suitable male heir to inherit my vast, vast, vast fortune...vast..."

matrixschmatrix

#241 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:47 pm

That scene is a reference to this Toys trailer, they describe it as much in the commentary.

Lemmy Caution

S14E22 Moe Baby Blues

#242 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:19 am

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#243 Post by swo17 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:23 pm

Can anyone vouch for Once Upon a Time in Springfield (S21, Ep 10)? I guess it won an Emmy and Al Jean named it as one of his five favorite episodes of the whole series. Though he also wasted one of those slots on the Shary Bobbins episode, so clearly he's not infallible.

Lemmy Caution

#244 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:24 am

My DVDs only go up to 20 ...

Just reading a synopsis, it sounds rather re-treadish.
Maybe the jokes and execution are great, but it sounds minimally inspired.
Perhaps Jean is a big Eartha Kitt fan.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#245 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:37 pm

I'm working through a rewatch of Season Four, which was the first season the show was able to compete in Best Comedy instead of Best Animated Program at the Emmys. It was not, however, nominated, though this isn't as foolish a snub as it sounds, as the two episodes the producers picked to represent the show are utterly inexplicable. Think of all the great episodes this season, many with legitimate claims to being the best of the series. Make your guesses and then un-spoiler below to reveal the actual submissions
SpoilerShow
"A Streetcar Named Marge" and "Mr Plow"... "Streetcar" is pretty good, "Mr Plow" is one of the weakest episode of the season, and not even in my wildest of imaginations would either be anyone's sane pick for best of the season that brought us "Last Exit to Springfield," "Marge vs the Monorail," "Krusty Gets Kancelled," "Homer the Heretic," "Itchy and Scratchy: the Movie," "Lisa's First Word," "Duffless," "I Love Lisa," "Kamp Krusty," and and and and...

dustybooks

#246 Post by dustybooks » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:52 am

domino harvey wrote:I'm working through a rewatch of Season Four, which was the first season the show was able to compete in Best Comedy instead of Best Animated Program at the Emmys. It was not, however, nominated, though this isn't as foolish a snub as it sounds, as the two episodes the producers picked to represent the show are utterly inexplicable. Think of all the great episodes this season, many with legitimate claims to being the best of the series. Make your guesses and then un-spoiler below to reveal the actual submissions
SpoilerShow
"A Streetcar Named Marge" and "Mr Plow"... "Streetcar" is pretty good, "Mr Plow" is one of the weakest episode of the season, and not even in my wildest of imaginations would either be anyone's sane pick for best of the season that brought us "Last Exit to Springfield," "Marge vs the Monorail," "Krusty Gets Kancelled," "Homer the Heretic," "Itchy and Scratchy: the Movie," "Lisa's First Word," "Duffless," "I Love Lisa," "Kamp Krusty," and and and and...
SpoilerShow
Man, I love those two, certainly more than Monorail or Kancelled (though I know I'm in a strong minority on "Monorail," it's never been more than mildly amusing to me, whereas almost every moment in "Plow" makes me laugh just thinking about it -- the commercials in particular) and I really don't like "Homer the Heretic." Comedy: it's tricky.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#247 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:09 am

SpoilerShow
Yeah, I'm also wondering how anyone doesn't like Mr. Plow.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#248 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:47 pm

That episode is like a Crunch bar. It's okay, I'll enjoy it if it's in front of me, but I can't imagine seeking it out on my own or it being anyone's favorite

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#249 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:49 pm

I can't imagine anyone not liking Crunch bars.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#250 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:05 pm

Things we've learned from the last couple posts:
dustybooks = Matt Groening
swo17 = Shaq