Christian Petzold

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Cremildo

Re: Christian Petzold

#76 Post by Cremildo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:34 pm

Maybe it's just me, but what surprises me in Petzold's list is the inclusion of Den of Thieves, not Manchester By the Sea (an acclaimed film by an acclaimed playwright, screenwriter and director).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#77 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:37 pm

Which is of course the film I was referring to initially and the reason I posted it in the first place!

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#78 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:48 pm

Shouldn't all this go in our dedicated Den of Thieves thread... oh

FrauBlucher

#79 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:58 pm

domino harvey wrote:Why is it disappointing that he would like a film beloved by many people, including much of this forum?
Well, it’s disappointing to me. I am not a fan of that film. And I could have an opinion on his opinion.

Rupert Pupkin

Re: Janus Contemporaries: Afire

#80 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat May 25, 2024 8:57 pm

There is a WEB 1080 release of "Yella" (2007) just out at via amazon
As far as I can tell this is the first time that this movie is available in HD (if this does not turn out to be upscaling); this movie kind of inspired by "Carnival of Souls" (and Kim Wilde's "Water On Glass" for the acouphenes ?) has not been released as far as I can tell in Blu-Ray; especially in Germany where there is a lot of C.Petzold movies available in blu-ray. Nina Hoss is sublime in this movie.

nicolas

#81 Post by nicolas » Sun May 26, 2024 6:11 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 8:57 pm
As far as I can tell this is the first time that this movie is available in HD (if this does not turn out to be upscaling); this movie kind of inspired by "Carnival of Souls" (and Kim Wilde's "Water On Glass" for the acouphenes ?) has not been released as far as I can tell in Blu-Ray; especially in Germany where there is a lot of C.Petzold movies available in blu-ray. Nina Hoss is sublime in this movie.
It’s not available in Germany, of all places. We can only stream in HD what’s available on BD, which are the films starting with Barbara. I think Stefan Andersson posted a while ago that the early Petzold films received grants for new 4K restorations. However it remains to be seen if and when these come out for the public. Germany is very slow in that regard and labels here tend not to care much. The label that always licensed his films is one of the smallest labels around here and they pretty much only release BDs for the Petzold films and other stuff they do is DVD or streaming only. Even Afire was DVD only until a few weeks before the release when they suddenly changed their mind. This sudden, rushed nature of the release shows in the disappointing quality of the Piffl BD.
I think it’s more likely that a foreign label like MUBI, Kino Lorber or maybe Criterion do a package deal and get all of his early works similar to the Lars von Trier restorations and do a box set.

Maltic

#82 Post by Maltic » Sun May 26, 2024 11:40 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:

I often miss a review page like dvdbeaver etc. - but for WEB releases!

Often you will only be shown a trailer when you buy a WEB release, and that can obviously be misleading in terms of the quality of the presentation you're buying.
Last edited by Maltic on Sun May 26, 2024 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#83 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Sun May 26, 2024 12:11 pm

nicolas wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 6:11 am
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
I think it’s more likely that a foreign label like MUBI, Kino Lorber or maybe Criterion do a package deal and get all of his early works similar to the Lars von Trier restorations and do a box set.
Or maybe even Korea's Plain Archive. I bought this nice sturdy Petzold set that they released - along came a kitchen magnet with a Petzold quote for whatever reason: https://plainarchive.com/products/chris ... ray-boxset

I've been longing to revisit his earlier works for so long after I first saw them 10-15 years ago on dvd. Wolfsburg and Gespenster are still his best works in my view (haven't seen Afire yet). If a box set comes out, I hope it will include his TV movies as well. I have Toter Mann on letterboxed DVD, but his 3 early TV films are still only floating around out there in crappy tv rips with the logos on them. I've refused to watch them, until a more reasonable option becomes available. If ever.

The Yella stream doesn't look upscaled, by the way, but it appears to come from an older master with faded colors. It would win a lot by getting a 4K restoration (don't know if it's in the batch?).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#84 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 26, 2024 1:55 pm

I’ve lost touch with his last few features but Gespenster remains his masterpiece for me too. I’d love to see it on Blu

nicolas

#85 Post by nicolas » Sun May 26, 2024 2:45 pm

jegharfangetmigenmyg wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 12:11 pm
nicolas wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 6:11 am
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Or maybe even Korea's Plain Archive. I bought this nice sturdy Petzold set that they released - along came a kitchen magnet with a Petzold quote for whatever reason: https://plainarchive.com/products/chris ... ray-boxset

I've been longing to revisit his earlier works for so long after I first saw them 10-15 years ago on dvd. Wolfsburg and Gespenster are still his best works in my view (haven't seen Afire yet). If a box set comes out, I hope it will include his TV movies as well. I have Toter Mann on letterboxed DVD, but his 3 early TV films are still only floating around out there in crappy tv rips with the logos on them. I've refused to watch them, until a more reasonable option becomes available. If ever.

The Yella stream doesn't look upscaled, by the way, but it appears to come from an older master with faded colors. It would win a lot by getting a 4K restoration (don't know if it's in the batch?).
I forgot Plain Archive. I have the same set as well and it’s really great. IIRC Yella was on the list for 4K restorations together with Jerichow. No idea about the TV movies though.

Rupert Pupkin

#86 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun May 26, 2024 5:39 pm

Sorry guys, whilst this is not an upscale, this is obviously not a brand new restoration (greenish blacks and white dots...), but a slight fine grain.
well, "Doom Generation" turned out to be the 4K restoration which came out on blu-ray wand was for me disappointing.
On the other hand "La Naissance des pieuvres" looks stunning (and was released on blu-ray in Germany)

The irony is that French Télévision 2 just broadcast the brand new restoration by Hiventy of "La Belle Noiseuse" (this is the short version "Divertimento") which was included in the French Carlotta box set but as DVD (and not restored - they took the Cohen restoration (which was done for the "long version"); too bad it was skipped for a Blu-Ray box set in France because the "Divertimento cut" is made using alternate cuts/angles : here :
https://www.france.tv/films/festival-de ... mento.html

It's a bit sad in the meantime that such a great cineast like Jonás Trueba is not available on blu-ray even in Spain - he released 3 major movies (IMHO) which were only available as WEB release (great quality fortunately), but it's so sad that "La Virgen de Agosto" was not released on blu-ray (at first it was announced on combo blu-ray/DVD in Spain but never came out; only on DVD; like in France). Itsaso Arana :oops: :oops: :oops: is sublime in "La Virgen de Agosto" and cowrote the last movie.

Criterion should save it and release a box set with Jonás Trueba's last 3 movies including his last one and "La Virgen de Agosto"; the previous one was shot during the pandemic. :-#