The Proposition

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

FrauBlucher

The Proposition

#1 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:32 pm

Wow, this is exciting.. The Proposition getting a 4k UHD release
Special Features and Technical Specs:
NEW 4K REMASTER OF THE FILM
DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
Audio commentary by John Hillcoat and Nick Cave
Audio commentary by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson
Making of documentary
Archive interviews with the cast and crew
Trailer
Fully illustrated perfect-bound book featuring new and archive writing on the film, rare production documents, original reviews and full film credits
And More...
4K BLU-RAY/BLU-RAY COMBO RELEASE

ryannichols7

Re: The Proposition 4K

#2 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:00 pm

Nick Cave on the commentary alone is worth the purchase, wow!

JamesF

Re: The Proposition

#3 Post by JamesF » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:32 am

If I remember correctly, he nips out of the studio for a quick cigarette about 20 minutes before the end of the film as well!

Finch

#4 Post by Finch » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:27 pm

Pushed back by a month to March 28. Full specs:

Limited edition 2-disc set
Newly remastered and presented in High Definition
Audio commentary with John Hillcoat and Nick Cave (2006)
Newly recorded audio commentary by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson
John Hillcoat and Nick Cave in Conversation (2021, 53 mins): a newly recorded conversation between director John Hillcoat and screenwriter Nick Cave as they look back on The Proposition
The Making of The Proposition (2005, 27 mins): behind-the-scenes documentary
Inside The Proposition (2005, 43 mins): a series of featurettes looking at the film’s pre-production
Shooting The Proposition (2005, 24 mins): featurettes on the production and the challenges faced during filming
Interview with Guy Pearce (2006, 14 mins): the actor on his approach to the role of Charlie Burns
Interview with Danny Huston (2006, 8 mins): the actor recalls his work on the film
Stills galleries
Original theatrical and teaser trailers
2022 trailer
Eighty-page book featuring new writing and recollections by John Hillcoat, Cat Villiers and Leah Purcell, plus essays by Andrew Graves, composer Warren Ellis, Professor Catriona Elder and Dr Stephen Morgan
Double-sided poster featuring new artwork by Matt Needle and the original UK poster

colinr0380

#5 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:19 am

Along with the UHD upgrade this (as with Liv Ullmann's Faithless and a number of the Bergmans) is another example of the BFI picking up a title that was previously released in the mid 2000s on DVD by the now defunct Tartan Video label and getting it out there again.

FrauBlucher

#6 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:30 am

Is there a list of the films Tartan had? I couldn’t find any.

colinr0380

#7 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:51 am

I'm trying to find one myself. There is this list but it has a number of omissions. Notably The Proposition! Out of that list though I would really like to see some UK label pick up Alejandro Amenábar's debut feature, the pre-Abre los ojos film Tesis some time, which came out in the early days of Tartan's DVD label (so early it got a simultaneous VHS release, as with the Ring films!) and suffered even at the time from being non-anamorphic and with burnt-in theatrical subtitles that really means it desperately needs a better, in print, edition, let alone a Blu-ray or UHD upgrade!

And Catherine Breillat's Anatomy of Hell is arguably her best film, so I would love to see that get rediscovered again at some point.

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:51 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:19 am
Along with the UHD upgrade this (as with Liv Ullmann's Faithless and a number of the Bergmans) is another example of the BFI picking up a title that was previously released in the mid 2000s on DVD by the now defunct Tartan Video label and getting it out there again.
The BFI's home video department and Indicator - which is putting out One for the Road in April - are currently run by Tartan veterans.

rapta

#9 Post by rapta » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:09 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:51 am
I'm trying to find one myself. There is this list but it has a number of omissions. Notably The Proposition! Out of that list though I would really like to see some UK label pick up Alejandro Amenábar's debut feature, the pre-Abre los ojos film Tesis some time, which came out in the early days of Tartan's DVD label (so early it got a simultaneous VHS release, as with the Ring films!) and suffered even at the time from being non-anamorphic and with burnt-in theatrical subtitles that really means it desperately needs a better, in print, edition, let alone a Blu-ray or UHD upgrade!

And Catherine Breillat's Anatomy of Hell is arguably her best film, so I would love to see that get rediscovered again at some point.
Plenty of ex-Tartan titles I'd like to see from UK boutiques in the near future. Besides all the Asia Extreme stuff - which will no doubt be Arrow and Third Window's game mostly - I'd like to see some love given to Häxan, The Phantom Carriage, Safe, Coffee and Cigarettes, The Woodsman, Palindromes, Mala Noche, Mysterious Skin, Secretary, Julien Donkey-Boy, and The King.

MichaelB

#10 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:24 pm

Full specs announced:
The Proposition
A film by John Hillcoat
Written by Nick Cave

Starring Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone, Danny Huston, John Hurt, David Wenham, Emily Watson

New 4K restoration released on both UHD & Blu-ray and on iTunes and Amazon Prime on 28 March 2022

See/share the new trailer here

Newly restored in 4K, director John Hillcoat (The Road, Triple 9) and writer Nick Cave’s Australian Western, a modern classic, is released by the BFI in a new 4K UHD presentation with an additional Blu-ray disc featuring archival extras and also on double-disc Blu-ray.

Out on 28 March 2022, these presentations have been produced in close collaboration with John Hillcoat and cinematographer Benoit Delhomme. Among an array of special features on both is a newly recorded conversation between John Hillcoat and Nick Cave and an 80-page book.

In the unforgiving landscape of the Outback, Charlie Burns (Guy Pearce) is presented with an impossible proposition by local lawman Captain Stanley (Ray Winstone): to save his younger brother Mikey from the noose, he must track down and kill Arthur (Danny Huston), his increasingly unhinged older sibling. A palpable sense of foreboding builds in the oppressive heat, as each character takes on their punishing moral dilemmas and the cycle of violence appears unstoppable.

Special features
• 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
NB. Blu-ray only release is presented in High Definition
• John Hillcoat and Nick Cave in Conversation (2021, 53 mins, audio only): newly recorded conversation between the film’s director and its screenwriter
• Audio commentary with John Hillcoat and Nick Cave (2006)
• Audio commentary by critics Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson (2021)
• The Making of The Proposition (2005, 27 mins): behind-the-scenes documentary
• Inside the Proposition (2005, 43 mins): a series of featurettes looking at the film’s pre-production
• Shooting the Proposition (2005, 24 mins): featurettes on the production and the challenges faced during filming
• B-roll footage (2005, 20 mins): behind-the-scenes footage shot during the making of the film
• Interview With Guy Pearce (2006, 14 mins): the actor on his approach to the role of Charlie
• Interview With Danny Huston (2006, 8 mins): the actor recalls his work on the film
• Stills galleries
• Original theatrical and teaser trailers
• 2022 UHD/Blu-ray trailer
• 80-page book featuring new writing and recollections by John Hillcoat, Cat Villiers, Leah Purcell and Warren Ellis, plus essays by Andrew Graves, Professor Catriona Elder, Dr Stephen Morgan and Adrian Martin

Product details
UHD: RRP: £29.99 / Cat. no. BFIU0001 / 18
UK, Australia | 2005 | colour | 104 minutes | English language, with optional subtitles for the Deaf and partial hearing | original aspect ratio 2.35:1 Disc 1: UHD, 2160p, 24fps, 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (48kHz/24-bit), PCM 2.0 stereo audio │ Disc 2: BD50, 1080p/576i, Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo audio

Blu-ray: RRP: £24.99 / Cat. No. BFIB1429 / 18
UK, Australia | 2005 | colour | 104 minutes | English language, with optional subtitles for the Deaf and partial hearing | original aspect ratio 2.35:1 Disc 1: BD50: 1080p 24fps, 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (48kHz/24-bit), PCM 2.0 stereo audio | Disc 2: BD50, 1080p/576i, Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo audio

Finch

#11 Post by Finch » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:11 am

Pushed back again, to April 11, due to production delays.

manicsounds

#12 Post by manicsounds » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:50 am

Not really a spoiler, but looks extremely good!

In addition, the BFI uploaded a recent Zoom reunion Q&A with the cast and crew of The Proposition here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRX0GDyoleg

Finch

#13 Post by Finch » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:48 am

PfR73

#14 Post by PfR73 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:37 pm

So the 4K release doesn't include the film itself on Blu-ray?

rapta

#15 Post by rapta » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:35 pm

PfR73 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:37 pm
So the 4K release doesn't include the film itself on Blu-ray?
No, because there's a separate Blu-ray limited edition as well. So you have two options whether you're 4K-ready, or not - buy the 4K UHD release, or the Blu-ray release.

Finch

#16 Post by Finch » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:25 pm

FrauBlucher

#17 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:16 pm

I screwed up. I ordered the UHD thinking there would be a bluray of the film as part of the edition. Now I have the UHD on it's way and don't intend to upgrade anytime soon if at all. I'm in the states. Does anyone know if Amazon UK takes exchanges back from the States?

denti alligator

#18 Post by denti alligator » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:05 pm

I remember being disappointed in this (huge Nick Cave fan, too). But these reviews of the UHD are making me wonder if revisiting it might be in order.

Finch

#19 Post by Finch » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:51 pm

I wasn't hot on it either when I saw it in theaters (Cave is my favorite living musician) but I did like it a lot better when I rewatched it two years ago or so. John Hillcoat's style can be very dour and I remember reading a few contemporary dissenters who thought the film collapsed under the weight of its seriousness. I'm looking forward to revisiting again when we finally have a UHD player and 4k TV.

denti alligator

#20 Post by denti alligator » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:37 pm

You might have convinced me. Cave the fiction writer is a strange one. When I was 14 (which is now over 30 years ago) I read his first novel And the Ass Saw the Angel and absolutely loved it. I had no context for it. Hadn‘t read Faulkner or McCarthy or whatever else he was channeling. But it was one of the great reading experiences of my life. I doubt it would hold up now.

Finch

#21 Post by Finch » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:17 pm

denti alligator wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:37 pm
Cave the fiction writer is a strange one.
Exhibit A, his Gladiator sequel screenplay! Oh, to have seen Russell Crowe's face when he read it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#22 Post by swo17 » Sun May 08, 2022 4:08 pm

For those unaware, this comes packaged in a hardbox like Arrow, Second Sight, or Indicator often use. I'm not sure I've seen BFI do this before for a single film. Looks classy!

FrauBlucher

#23 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun May 08, 2022 7:05 pm

It is quite lovely

beamish14

#24 Post by beamish14 » Mon May 09, 2022 1:30 am

denti alligator wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:37 pm
You might have convinced me. Cave the fiction writer is a strange one. When I was 14 (which is now over 30 years ago) I read his first novel And the Ass Saw the Angel and absolutely loved it. I had no context for it. Hadn‘t read Faulkner or McCarthy or whatever else he was channeling. But it was one of the great reading experiences of my life. I doubt it would hold up now.

And the Ass is almost unintentionally comedic as a result of how excessively dour and overwritten it is, but there are some great moments. It actually reminds me quite a bit of Philip Ridley’s wonderful feature The Reflecting Skin, which came out about year later. His follow-up novel, The Death of Bunny Munro is pretty vile, both in content and execution. Nice soundtrack on the audiobook, though