In the Heat of the Sun (Jiang Wen, 1994)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
SalParadise

In the Heat of the Sun (Jiang Wen, 1994)

#1 Post by SalParadise » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:06 am

Saw this excellent movie last night (downloaded it from rapidshare - no chance of buying it on DVD...)

Question: Does anybody know the flag next to the PRC one?

I also wonder if there exists a longer cut as in 'the credits' it 'credits' 4 american 'devils' but they didn't appear in the version I saw.

Bajaja

Re: In the Heat of the Sun (Jiang Wen, 1994)

#2 Post by Bajaja » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:15 pm

I am afraid that it is a flag of a non-existent country, and I do not know whether it was deliberate. I like to think yes, because I have an utmost respect for Jiang Wen, both as an actor and director.

I love the film for both its technique--photography and performances of the young actors--and its theme--a teenage coming of age during strange times, a very fresh look at the cultural revolution, without the almost distilled depression and political criticism of Zhang Yimou or Tian Zhuangzhuang. I have brought an excellent quality DVD from China (legal? not legal? do I care? (sorry)). The cover has Japanese characters on it. Unfortunately, the disc has no English subtitles. At the moment I cannot recall if it has Japanese and/or Chinese subtitles.

Come to think of it, the film would be perfect for the Collection...

andyli

#3 Post by andyli » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:40 am

For those who want to sample the quality of the 2k restoration I've got the Spectrum blu-ray with me.

The main feature file is at a healthy ~35GB, with no additional processing/filtering detected. Running time is 2h20 at 24 fps. I think it's safe to say this is the best the film has ever looked.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4 Post by tenia » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:36 pm

Yeah it's a nice looking 2013 2k restoration, though it definitely has the Ritrovata color stamp. But it's superior by a good margin to the accompanying movie (The Emperor's Shadow) though it also is quite better than many HD masters Spectrum had to rely upon for other movies.

pistolwink

#5 Post by pistolwink » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:08 pm

Anyone know which of the two versions of the film this is? IIRC an "extended version" of the film was released to streaming before this Blu-Ray... I don't know if this is a cut from before the film was released or a retrospective reworking of the film.

andyli

#6 Post by andyli » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:44 pm

pistolwink wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:08 pm
Anyone know which of the two versions of the film this is? IIRC an "extended version" of the film was released to streaming before this Blu-Ray... I don't know if this is a cut from before the film was released or a retrospective reworking of the film.
Except for the rumored 4-hour rough cut, this version restores the film to the longest running time, adding back scenes cut from different theatrical showings over the years, including the Venice premiere.