Fallen Leaves (Aki Kaurismäki, 2023)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
criterionsnob

Fallen Leaves (Aki Kaurismäki, 2023)

#1 Post by criterionsnob » Wed May 10, 2023 9:11 am

JPJ

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#2 Post by JPJ » Thu May 11, 2023 5:58 am

criterionsnob wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:11 am
Fallen Leaves (Aki Kaurismäki)
Fat City poster at the end..I never knew that it´s one of his favorites but it makes perfect sense.

JabbaTheSlut

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#3 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Thu May 11, 2023 7:55 am

A self parody?
criterionsnob wrote:

yoloswegmaster

Re: Festival Circuit 2023

#4 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed May 24, 2023 4:12 pm

MUBI has acquired the rights to Kaurismaki's Fallen Leaves.

therewillbeblus

Re: The Films of 2023

#5 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:17 pm

JabbaTheSlut wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 7:55 am
A self parody?
criterionsnob wrote:
I don’t think so, but its Serendipity model type ‘fairy tale rom-com’ structure is a perfect playground for Kaurismäki to slow down and deconstruct with his temperament (I suppose it could be argued that there’s a blatant acknowledgment of his eccentric shtick inherent in that idea, but hasn’t all his work been relatively transparent?) Mostly I just found it delightful that someone finally made this kind of movie for an awkward introverted nobody like me

Up there with Man Without a Past as his best, and funniest work

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#6 Post by soundchaser » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:13 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:17 pm
JabbaTheSlut wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 7:55 am
A self parody?
criterionsnob wrote:
I don’t think so, but its Serendipity model type ‘fairy tale rom-com’ structure is a perfect playground for Kaurismäki to slow down and deconstruct with his temperament (I suppose it could be argued that there’s a blatant acknowledgment of his eccentric shtick inherent in that idea, but hasn’t all his work been relatively transparent?) Mostly I just found it delightful that someone finally made this kind of movie for an awkward introverted nobody like me

Up there with Man Without a Past as his best, and funniest work
"Deconstruct" is an interesting word -- I'd be curious to hear what you think is deconstructive about it.

No surprises that I adored it (although it would have been even better not drowned out by the Beyoncé concert film playing next door), as it feels at once an apotheosis of and an evolution to the Proletariat Trilogy. There are little moves here that have seismic impact: Alma Pöysti's wink sent shockwaves through me -- has Kaurismäki ever been so nakedly cheeky? A synthpop number that turns out to be one of the most moving setpieces in the film? (And reminded me of nothing so much as Twin Peaks: The Return) The entire date at the cinema, with all the jokes that followed? These moments show an artist at the top of his craft, still nonetheless exploring balances of tone and style in ways he hasn't before.

My girlfriend, who is unfamiliar with the director's catalog, remarked that many of the shots resemble tableau paintings, and I noted that few people shoot quite like Kaurismäki. This might be his most beautiful film in that respect - certainly noteworthy for its use of color and darkness.

therewillbeblus

#7 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:22 pm

I meant that he seems to be deconstructing the particularly-fantastical rom-com narrative skeleton around his type of unglamorous characters, which both makes fun of the artifice of always-‘on’ charisma and linear self-actualizaction, and allows his characters to enjoy these series of coincidences and dreams, and shows that they too will exude charisma and evolve because of such devices. This isn’t a new thing to do - allow introverts to bask in the pleasures of a genre defined by extroverts - but to me this film felt like it was choosing to approach it differently, in a way that felt especially stripped-down, and therefore revealing

Matt

Re: Fallen Leaves (Aki Kaurismäki, 2023)

#8 Post by Matt » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:36 am

This is now available streaming on Mubi (US)