The Exorcist (William Friedkin, 1973)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Cinephrenic

#26 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:49 pm

When we are a kid, everything is different. But when I watched this later in life, I found the bedroom scenes quite funny actually. I don't know if one has to be religious to be afraid, but I don't know why this movie keeps coming up as the scariest films. This is obviously a cult film.

exte

#27 Post by exte » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:00 pm

A cult film with massive box office and critical acclaim (nominated for Best Picture)?

Cinephrenic

#28 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:06 pm

I'm not arguing with the box office success because Transformers and Spiderman 3 did well in the box office, i'm talking about the film itself. I'm not saying the film is bad or anything, just don't know why it gets so much reputation.

dave41n

#29 Post by dave41n » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:13 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:I don't know if one has to be religious to be afraid, but I don't know why this movie keeps coming up as the scariest films
I'm interested in what you feel the film is lacking. Personally, I think the film is pretty damn good. While I don't think the film is innovative in any substantial way, I do believe the film is remarkably effective working with basic horror-suspense mechanics. Critics have argued that the film deals with a number of social issues, issues like inter-generational conflict (Vietnam era America as context), mutual alienation, the limitations of science, the corruption of the domestic sphere, a crisis of spirtuality, and the list goes on. I don't buy into many of the readings out there, but the arguments can be made (counter-arguments can be made as well). I don't like this film for any possible socio-political concerns. This film affects me on a personal level. The film is, again, remarkably effective in appealing to some very real fears or questions I have and that many spectators I assume have as well. The special effects sequences aren't incredibly scary (though I do appreciate the special effects), however many of those special effects sequences are, for me, compliments to the psychological terror working throughout. This film seriously fucks with my head. I've often wondered why the film has such an effect on me. I haven't pinpointed exactly why, but I think you touch on something that does apply to me -- religiosity. It's a combination of having been raised Catholic, my own spiritual crisis, my own doubts, my own fears, and more general issues, such as dealing with an elderly parent, being unable to help your sick child, finding little solace in personal relationships, and a fear of the unknown. Just my personal feelings on this film and why I continually revisit it. If this seems a bit confusing, it's probably because this film is different for me each time, depending on where I am in my own life. Those are the films that last in my book. Sometimes certain films just hit certain people. And this one does it for me. I can understand it not working for others (I have very good friends who don't find the film that compelling). Again though, I'm interested in why it doesn't work for you. Curiosity, I guess.

Mr Sausage

#30 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:06 pm

One need not believe in ghosts or aliens to find either The Haunting or Alien frightening. So I can't see any logical reason for the opposite to be true of The Exorcist. In fact, thinking about it, a horror film should be more effective if it manages to convince you of something you had never before believed (if only for the duration of the film). The unexpected fear is always the more shattering; to go in afraid is to go in prepared.

As to the ubiquitous "how can others find this scary? Must be a crock." stuff, really, unless one's prepared to label everyone else liars or fools, and to overlook the widely known extreme subjectivity of fear, one might want to reconsider whether or not it need be asked/said.

Jeff

#31 Post by Jeff » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:56 am

Cinephrenic wrote:One of the funniest and most overrated films in the history of cinema? Let the rebuttal begin... :twisted:
Roger Ebert wrote an article on this phenomenon a few years ago when the film was re-released to theaters. I can't seem to find that now, but here is an old Answer Man column that touches on the same thing. Whether you like the film or not, it is interesting to see how reactions to it have changed over the years.
Cinephrenic wrote:I'm not arguing with the box office success because Transformers and Spiderman 3
I think exte was taking exception to referring to it as a "cult film" since that implies that it only appeals to only a small audience or a small number of people are aware of it. Obviously a mainstream blockbuster like The Exorcist doesn't fit into that category.

Cinephrenic

#32 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:04 pm

Cult films can be in the mainstream, no? I don't want anyone to think i'm attacking the film in anyway because I do have it on DVD and enjoy watching it, it's just phenomonal on how important it has become over the years. I agree with what dave41n wrote above, but for someone as myself whom doesn't believe in religion may have a difficult time seeing the inner moral conflict of the protogonist. I've known people and friends (whom happen to be Catholic) tell me on how the film has effected them and remained a major horror film for them, so is spiritual crisis or fear of satan a prerequisite here?

dave41n

#33 Post by dave41n » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:49 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:I've known people and friends (whom happen to be Catholic) tell me on how the film has effected them and remained a major horror film for them, so is spiritual crisis or fear of satan a prerequisite here?
I certainly don't think so. This falls under Mr. Sausage's first paragraph (is the film effective, convincing, persuasive, etc.?). And I didn't mean to suggest that being Catholic is a prerequisite for liking the film, nor did I mean to imply that if you are Catholic you will be moved by the film. I know some people who love the film despite being areligious and some who are unaffected by the film and rather indifferent toward it despite being Catholic. The Catholic aspect was just something personal which I included in my support of the film. That aspect works for me, in concert with many other elements.

dx23

#34 Post by dx23 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:44 pm

Blu-Ray.com is reporting that Warner is releasing the Exorcist on BD in Fall of 2009:
The Exorcist Coming Next Fall
Posted October 20, 2008 02:11 PM by Josh Dreuth

In an interview with DVD Review, director William Friedkin mentioned that, not only does he love Blu-ray, but he is also scheduled to begin work on a 'The Exorcist' Blu-ray on December 2nd. No extras were discussed, but with so much great material available for the legendary horror film, we can only imagine the possibilities. The release is currently scheduled for a Fall 2009
I just hope that they include both cuts of the film or the original version, if they decide to do just one cut only.

HerrSchreck

Re: The Exorcist

#35 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:58 pm

Hee hee... has anyone seen this-- occasional shot-by-shot copying-- Turkish ripoff of The Exorcist called Seytan from the 70's?

Person

#36 Post by Person » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:40 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:Hee hee... has anyone seen this-- occasional shot-by-shot copying-- Turkish ripoff of The Exorcist called Seytan from the 70's?
Awesome. I love Richard Pryor's envisioning of a Black Exorcist. :D

Cinephrenic

#37 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:59 pm

Yeah, hehe silly knock-offs...it is scarier than the original... that is, the film itself :twisted:

Matt

#38 Post by Matt » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:22 pm

Person wrote:Awesome. I love Richard Pryor's envisioning of a Black Exorcist. :D
There was a "Black Exorcist": Abby. It's not far off from Pryor's vision.

HerrSchreck

#39 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:11 pm

Fantastic! It looks like after she saw the crucifix that she's posessed by the spirit of old Joe Gould, and turns and goes into his Sea Gull Act.

She is after all, in a bar, and that's where Gould hustled drinks via the Act.

That wouldn't be shot in the Minnetta Tavern, would it?

The campometer is spraying mercury all round the room..

colinr0380

#40 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:28 pm

And since we are talking Exorcist rip-offs, how about Beyond The Door starring Hayley Mills' sister!

Of course its success led to an unrelated film being retitled as Beyond The Door II (Bava's Shock) and Beyond The Door III featuring a possessed killer train!

The trailer appears on the third volume of 42nd Street Forever. According to the commentary track Warners even tried to sue over Beyond The Door, but lost the case.

Jeff

#41 Post by Jeff » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:02 pm

Warner HTF Chat wrote:EXORCIST is currently being remastered for BD by the director Mr. Friedkin AND the cinematographer Mr. Owen Roizman.
Uh oh.

justeleblanc

#42 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:11 am

Jeff wrote:
Warner HTF Chat wrote:EXORCIST is currently being remastered for BD by the director Mr. Friedkin AND the cinematographer Mr. Owen Roizman.
Uh oh.
Wash your shorts, the DP is in the room this time.

nsps

#43 Post by nsps » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:24 am

justeleblanc wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Uh oh.
Wash your shorts, the DP is in the room this time.
Yeah, hopefully Roizman, who was pretty pissed about the TFC transfer, will put Friedkin's color timing on a leash.

kaujot

#44 Post by kaujot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:28 am

I wish someone had asked which cut would be coming out.

justeleblanc

#45 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:31 am

kaujot wrote:I wish someone had asked which cut would be coming out.
I assume Friedkin's would at least be one of the choices, given that he's doing the work. I doubt he'll spend all this time on the "Producer's Cut".

Person

#46 Post by Person » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:46 am

Friedkin has stated that he suggested to Warner to release both versions, but who knows what might happen. I find it surprising that Roizman has been or will be supervising the transfer, as Friedkin has pretty much stated that Roizman should have no say in how a Willaim Friedkin movie should look on DVD. The current DVD of The Exorcist original cut from back in the 90s looks pretty weak in places today and I'd love to own a gorgeous new 1080p Blu-ray of the original version with all the previous extra features and some interesting new stuff, but I reckon Warner and/or Billy will bungle this set.

Antoine Doinel

#47 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:30 am

The new DVD and BluRay of The Version You've Never Seen Before has been confirmed for September 8th. No word yet on features or if the original theatrical cut will be included.

Person

#48 Post by Person » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:27 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:The new DVD and BluRay of The Version You've Never Seen has been confirmed for September 8th. No word yet on features or if the original theatrical cut will be included.
That is depressing news. The Version You Don't Want to See is comical. The spiderwalk scene is a lead balloon within the context of the film and what makes it worse is that Friedkin added CGI blood spewing from Regan's mouth when he put that clunker back in. The faux-subliminal images are inept and cheezy like something out of a straight-to-video horror film from 1996. I'm so glad that I have held on to the old SE which isn't exactly hard to get now, but you have to hunt around for it, especially in European countries. The transfer on the old SE isn't perfect (if anything, it's the encoding/bitrate that lets it down) but it represents the film very well, I feel. I am a huge Friedkin fan, but he has made some clown-shoe fuck-ups of late: promising an uncut Cruising; the futzing of the Blu-ray French Connection (which I don't find that bad, actually); promising that a remastered widescreen SE of Sorcerer was on the way (I constantly get folk from the IMDb message boards asking me about this); and now potentially deep-sixing the 1973 cut of The Exorcist. BTW, which version of The Exorcist shows up most on U.S, TV these days? Because, if a 1080p HD transfer of The Exorcist does not currently exist, that version may go the way of the original Star Wars, I reckon. There will come a day when TV stations won't touch a non-HD tape/disc. As I say, you can get the OOP 1998 SE for under $10 but I could see those sealed sets reaching high prices within 12 months.

Highway 61

#49 Post by Highway 61 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:41 am

My prediction: the original isn't buried, but won't be seen in HD until the 40th anniversary in 2013 when Warner will package it in an $80 set complete with a Linda Blair spinning-head action figure, Dick Smith's recipe for green pea soup, and a vibrating crucifix.

Until then, I too will be holding onto my original '98 SE, which features what I still think is the best making-of doc on a film ever.

HarryLong

#50 Post by HarryLong » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:06 am

Highway 61 wrote:My prediction: the original isn't buried, but won't be seen in HD until the 40th anniversary in 2013 when Warner will package it in an $80 set complete with a Linda Blair spinning-head action figure, Dick Smith's recipe for green pea soup, and a vibrating crucifix.
While the last is intriguing, a Linda Blair spinning Bobble-head would make this set a must-have ... but only if John Boorman's sequel is included as well.