Trailers

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Antoine Doinel

#1 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:27 pm

They've cut some of the best trailers of the past few years. Here's their site:
http://www.markwoollen.com/currentwork.html

Matt

#2 Post by Matt » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:06 pm

None of the trailers for the films listed in their "current works" were particularly memorable to me. I just saw the trailer for The Science of Sleep again the other night and thought to myself, "Boy, I sure hope the movie is better than this trailer makes it out to be." Random selections from several pop songs, lots of quick cutting between unconnected shots of movement and "weird" images, on-screen text that has to lay out for me what the plot is--it's a by-the-numbers trailer.

The TV ad for Good Night and Good Luck is the same: ominous, canned music; quick shots of people looking very serious followed by quick shots of people running and otherwise moving quickly; a COUNTDOWN for chrissakes; "In a world" type on-screen text.

A better trailer than any of these (while still not a great trailer) is the trailer for Sherrybaby. Ignore the shitty voiceover (which seems tacked on to force the appeal of the film). Look at how the trailer editor lets the clips reveal the character and the plot of the film.

Still, the best trailer I've seen in years is this one for Little Children.

Antoine Doinel

#3 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:20 pm

Though it isn't listed, they did the trailer for Little Children.

Matt

#4 Post by Matt » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:26 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:Though it isn't listed, they did the trailer for Little Children.
Well, Jesus! Memo to Mark Wollen & Associates. Promote the person who cut that trailer and fire everyone else.

I was perhaps to hasty to dismiss them. There are several very good trailers in their "past works" list. I guess you can't hit it out of the park all the time, and your trailer can only be as good as the material you're given to work with.

Their trailer for Beloved sucks. Shame on anyone who couldn't make a compelling trailer out of that film.

Cinesimilitude

#5 Post by Cinesimilitude » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:17 pm

their work with Garden State was great. But I think a lot of those trailers really stand out cause they are amazing films, and not so much the editing of the trailers. I <3 Huckabees, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Life Aquatic, 12 Monkeys, etc. It's the little clips of brilliance just strung together.

My favorite trailers are one shot or scene, with the title afterwards. something that can temporarily bring the viewer into the world the film promotes, and give us just enough of a taste to pony up the ticket price to see what happens.

manicsounds

#6 Post by manicsounds » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:37 am

Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedian" had one of the best trailers ever.
Incredibly funny.

I would have to say the funniest ever is still "Stealth"
Couldn't stop laughing during that one.

lord_clyde

#7 Post by lord_clyde » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:48 pm

manicsounds wrote:Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedian" had one of the best trailers ever.
Incredibly funny.

I would have to say the funniest ever is still "Stealth"
Couldn't stop laughing during that one.
Comedian was a fantastic trailer. "I like it in here!"
Never saw the movie though.

Antoine Doinel

#8 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:01 am

Directed exclusively for the Venice Biennale by Francesco Vezzoli this is a pretty outrageous fake trailer. Lots of T&A, bad acting and enough simulated (?) sex acts to make Kubrick's orgy scene look like a walk in the park.

Oh yeah, the five minute trailer has among others: Benecio Del Toro, Helen Mirren, Karen Black, Milla Jovovich, Gerard Butler and Courtney Love. And of course, Gore Vidal.

You can find download links here. There are apparently three different cuts of the trailer.

Cinesimilitude

#9 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:38 am

Interesting. I would love to see if malcolm mcdowell or peter o'toole (now the correct age for his character) pop up in any cameos, and to be honest, I'm curious to see how age has treated Mirren's body.

Pretty funny how someone edited the MPAA approval banner on the front of those trailers, as each contain more nudity than most rated-r films.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Lavender

#10 Post by Darth Lavender » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:39 am

That's a movie that could do with a nice "Director's Cut" (or even a fan-edit.)

I'll occasionally sit through extremely graphic sex, gore and peversity in a highly regarded film (Irreversible* comes to mind. I'll probably see the uncut Cruisin' when it's released,) because that's how the director intended it, etc. Even a film with mediocre reviews, if it has something to recommend it (ie. 1900, which has a wonderful cast, and ambitious scale and Storaro's cinematography) I'll make the effort to sit through all the graphic scenes.
But, as I understand it, the director of Caligula (and, for that matter, the actors and almost everyone except the producers) didn't want the most hard-core footage included in the film (didn't even film it.) So, as it is now, watching the Unrated Caligula is not only a corruption of the director's vision but, unlike most such cases, the extra unpleasantness I'd be sitting through is precisely what prevents this from being the director's vision.

*Funny observation I like to make about renting "Irreversible," the DVD had a helpful sticker, about four-times the size of the warning about graphic violence, rape, French-people, etc. informing potential viewers that this DVD also contains...
SUBTITLES! :shock:

The Invunche

#11 Post by The Invunche » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:27 am

SncDthMnky wrote:I'm curious to see how age has treated Mirren's body.
Well it's not like she's shy about showing it.

MichaelB

#12 Post by MichaelB » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:12 am

Darth Lavender wrote:But, as I understand it, the director of Caligula (and, for that matter, the actors and almost everyone except the producers) didn't want the most hard-core footage included in the film (didn't even film it.) So, as it is now, watching the Unrated Caligula is not only a corruption of the director's vision but, unlike most such cases, the extra unpleasantness I'd be sitting through is precisely what prevents this from being the director's vision.
The version showed by Channel 4 in the UK cut out all the hardcore footage, but they cunningly marketed it as the authentic Tinto Brass version without the Bob Guccione additions. (Guccione and his partner-in-crime Giancarlo Lui used to sneak into the studio after dark with a bevy of Penthouse Pets where they shot the hardcore scenes on the original sets without Brass's knowledge or approval).

I've no idea how thoroughly researched (or Brass-approved) the C4 version was, but it's an imaginative way of promoting something that would have had to be censored anyway for legal reasons - British network TV typically goes much further than its US equivalent, but actual close-up hardcore action is a step too far for the regulators!