Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Mr Sausage

Re: Identify This Movie

#1426 Post by Mr Sausage » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:01 am

What's the video nasty being shown here?

TechnicolorAcid

#1427 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:00 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:01 am
What's the video nasty being shown here?
It’s possible it could be I Miss You, Hugs and Kisses based off the appearance of the actress in that scene though my knowledge on Video Nasties is limited since my mother told me they’re too scary.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1428 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:15 pm

We already banned your old account where you pretended to be a child, please don’t start back at it again

TechnicolorAcid

#1429 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:36 pm

Domino it was a joke.

colinr0380

#1430 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:27 pm

The lady being stabbed by the guy in the T-shirt and coughing up blood? Its from the infamous footage added to the end of Snuff that overrides the climax of the original film. (I am in agreement with Kim Newman about really wanting to have seen how the original film, called The Slaughter and loosely based on the Manson killings, ended!)

EDIT: Here's a NSFW "Whang!" video about it.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Sausage

#1431 Post by Mr Sausage » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:57 pm

colinr0380 wrote:The lady being stabbed by the guy in the T-shirt and coughing up blood? Its from the infamous footage added to the end of Snuff that overrides the climax of the original film. (I am in agreement with Kim Newman about really wanting to have seen how the original film, called The Slaughter and loosely based on the Manson killings, ended!)
Thanks colin!

gilbertcat

Re: Randy Quaid short

#1432 Post by gilbertcat » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:33 am

Jason wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:59 am
In high school our English teacher showed us this short film, that I think may have been from a TV series. It starred Randy Quaid and Vincent Schiavelli in an adaptation of a short story. A group of miners in the old west end up with a baby they have to take care of. At the end, the baby falls in the river and Quaid jumps in to save it but fails and the baby drowns. As far as I can tell this isn't listed on either imdb profile.
I found this thread just today. It's been a LONG time since your query was posted, but just in case you never found the answer, the film is called "The Luck of Roaring Camp." You can watch it here: https://youtu.be/p26yZvPmo6g?si=VwCC5pX6t9LNKRYf

Mr Sausage

#1433 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:56 am

About 30 minutes into Ash is Purest White, the gangsters are watching a film where Chow Yun-Fat is beaten up by another actor in a building that's on fire. Anyone know the movie?

diamonds

#1434 Post by diamonds » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:59 am

Mr Sausage wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:56 am
About 30 minutes into Ash is Purest White, the gangsters are watching a film where Chow Yun-Fat is beaten up by another actor in a building that's on fire. Anyone know the movie?
Per this article, Taylor Wong's Tragic Hero.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1435 Post by swo17 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:12 pm

Available from Eureka

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1436 Post by Never Cursed » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:32 am

Not so much an identify "this" movie question, but I figured I might ask it here (if another thread is more appropriate I apologize). If anyone has some off the top of their head, what are some examples of recent professionally-made, ideally-theatrically-distributed films (let's say within the last 10 years, following the shot-on-digital "revolution") that have absolutely no computer-generated visual effects (as in, with no VFX artists are credited at all)? VFX seems to have become cheap enough to apply to footage in some form that even very small productions rely on its availability to a degree that kind of staggers me (it's certainly disturbing on the level of the compensation that VFX artists in the global south receive for their work). To name a few films I've seen from the last couple years, spread across a few separate film industries, Bas Devos' Here, Close Your Eyes, Samsara, The Standoff at Sparrow Creek (on a budget of $450,000), How to Have Sex, Before You Know It, and Yannick all have substantial VFX work in spite of not having anything that at least seems like it would require anything of the sort, unless I missed something in each of these films. Examples of no-VFX films that received theatrical distribution in the States on at least an indie-circuit level include Shiva Baby and all of Hong Sang-soo's movies.

(As a side note, reading thru some IMDB pages for this post led me to realize that the last Paul Thomas Anderson movie not to have VFX was Boogie Nights!)

EDIT: Skinamarink appears to not have any VFX artists credited, but that strikes me as another edge case given the film's aesthetic
Last edited by Never Cursed on Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

TechnicolorAcid

#1437 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:47 am

I’m not sure if this counts but one of the first movies that came into mind was The Wolf House.

colinr0380

#1438 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:20 am

Never Cursed wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:32 am
(As a side note, reading thru some IMDB pages for this post led me to realize that the last Paul Thomas Anderson movie not to have VFX was Boogie Nights!)
And even that had significant prosthetic work! :wink:

Rizpektdue

Re: Korean Films on DVD and Blu-ray

#1439 Post by Rizpektdue » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:43 am

Searching for a film that I am assuming is South Korean made.

*It came out some time between 2007 and 2012.
*I saw it through Netflix when it still had a DVD service
*Three of the main actors are women and one is White
*I can't remember the name of the movie

some of the plot : Main actor (young korean woman) moves to either Canada or America to be with her new husband and her mother in law (older Korean woman). Although the woman loves her husband and is trying to get close to her mother in law and the older community of Koreans who attend church, she has "fish out of water" experiences living in a new country. Mysteriously, her new husband start to get gravely ill and dies soon after. At first ,her mother in law comforts her...but soon starts to suspect that there is something evil surrounding her daughter in law (a spirit) and it killed her son. The main actor soon meets her neighbors (a successful white couple with a nice house and indoor pool) and starts to get close to the wife. The young Korean woman soon fantasizes about their life and starts to attach herself into the neighbors life. All the while, the mother in law starts to get gravely ill (like she was cursed) and also dies Mysteriously,just like her son did...

I have been searching for this movie for years, to no avail.

please help me out