Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

Discuss releases by Radiance and the films on them.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

#1001 Post by tenia » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:22 pm

Finch wrote:Probably hoping against reason that MIS is a teaser for some Kinji Misumi films, given that the French are getting new releases.
Was thinking the same.

ryannichols7

#1002 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:07 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:04 pm
Peacock wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:39 am
But if the “bold means boxsets” in the quoted list stands true, why would Planet of the Vampires be a boxset?
It could be just a single film from a boxed set.
yes, I was thinking a release like Messiah of Evil
tenia wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:22 pm
Finch wrote:Probably hoping against reason that MIS is a teaser for some Kinji Misumi films, given that the French are getting new releases.
Was thinking the same.
swords and samurai sell, I'm sure it's this...and if it isn't, it probably will be at some point!

Finch

#1003 Post by Finch » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:11 pm

Planet of the Vampires could totally work as a box release after the huge success of Messiah of Evil.

What A Disgrace

#1004 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:47 am

Worth noting that Andrew Nette credits Gang War In Milan as a Radiance release in his commentary, leading credence to the notion that this is a very close collaboration indeed between Raro and Radiance.

Calvin

#1005 Post by Calvin » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:17 am

It's a bit of a contrivance but SMPO could be Sherman's March: A Meditation on the Possibility of Romantic Love In the South During an Era of Nuclear Weapons Proliferation. Fran said a few month ago that [he's] "a big fan of Sherman’s March but [doesn't] know how much this will connect with audiences and wonder whether this might just be a bit challenging. Something for the future perhaps when Radiance is more established."

Finch

#1006 Post by Finch » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:50 am

He could always do that as a single pressing like the Hui and Taviani titles.

Calvin

#1007 Post by Calvin » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:10 pm

TMDaines wrote:There's a surprising lack of obvious directors for an SM boxset. There's surely not enough Sergio Martino titles left of interest in the UK, unless someone wants to make a case for some of his comedies. Another outside shout would be Samira Makhmalbaf.

I can't see anyone possible for DG.
If 'SM' is Samira Makhmalbaf (who, with only 4 features to her name, would be suited to a box set) then 'MM' could be an individual Mohsen Makhmalbaf release - A Moment of Innocence.

TechnicolorAcid

#1008 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:17 pm

If MM is a Mohsen Makhmalbaf title it could also be the slightly more well known Kandahar or maybe even, and this is a stretch, The Cyclist, considering it’s strong connection to Close-Up could be a strong draw to some people. But Moment of Innocence seems just as likely, if not more so.

TechnicolorAcid

#1009 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:18 pm

Finch wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:50 am
He could always do that as a single pressing like the Hui and Taviani titles.
I thought they were single pressings because of certain licensing agreements.

Finch

#1010 Post by Finch » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:59 pm

The Hui film definitely was. I don't know if that also applies to the Italian film or if the single pressing was a compromise by Fran where following the poor sales of the Arrow set, he still wants to release Allonsafan but minimize a potential loss by agreeing only to a license that doesn't go beyond a single pressing. I could be completely off base though.

TechnicolorAcid

#1011 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:03 pm

Wouldn’t that still imply it was a licensing agreement between Radiance and the Italian company since both parties are agreeing to making it a limited printing in order to minimize potential loses?

Calvin

#1012 Post by Calvin » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:31 pm

I think it's a case of Radiance negotiating a lower licensing fee on the basis that they'll only print X number of units, not that the licensor is unwilling to let them licence it as a 'normal' title (for a higher fee).

MichaelB

#1013 Post by MichaelB » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:01 am

Twilight Time operated on a similar basis, as I recall.

rapta

#1015 Post by rapta » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:59 pm

Interesting to see some of your guesses. Many of mine are the same (a number have been suggested on other forums), but I hadn't considered Puzzle of a Downfall Child before now. It's probably more likely to be Pastoral simply because it was one of Fran's 'dream' titles for the label, but you never know.

However, I think differently in regards to other guesses:

SHIN - Masahiro Shinoda films, rather than Kaneto Shindo (e.g. Assassination, Samurai Spy)
MH - Manhunter? (unlikely, but still!)
TK3 - Eighteen Years in Prison? (check the spine numbers of the other two Kato films)
TK4 - The Ondekoza?
TL - The Landlord? Tattooed Life?
EP1/EP2 - A Quiet Place in the Country, We Still Kill the Old Way (both MGM), The 10th Victim (if Shameless no longer have the rights), Todo Modo
JCB - Jean-Claude Brisseau?

I like your suggestion of RB being Robert Bresson, and hoping it means either Lancelot du Lac or The Devil, Probably (especially since Diary of a Country Priest is stuck with StudioCanal, and Une Femme Douce probably still Paramount).

Calvin

#1016 Post by Calvin » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:43 pm

I'd be surprised if Radiance released Pastoral individually and not as part of a Terayama box set but I'd take it any which way....

MH:
Marcel Hanoun? - Seems unlikely, any Hanoun release would probably be his Seasons films which would be a set.
Artificial Eye have the rights to most of Haneke's films. His early television works would be available, but I've not heard about any restoration.

Surely Manhunter is with StudioCanal?

SU: Sun Don't Shine (Seimetz)? Susana (Bunuel)? Sympathy for the Underdog?

RB: I was also thinking RB might be Bresson. MK2 are restoring Four Nights of a Dreamer.

TL: Tsui Hark's The Lovers?

furbicide

#1017 Post by furbicide » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:18 am

Monte Hellman is another possibility for the MH clue. I agree that Hanoun and Haneke both seem unlikely.

rapta

#1018 Post by rapta » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:54 pm

Hellman is a good shout. I also considered Robert Benton for 'RB', but maybe that's just wishful thinking (I selfishly just want someone to put Bad Company on Blu-ray).

Aunt Peg

#1019 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:11 am

One film in particular I would love to see get an English friendly disc release is Diane Kurys' Cocktail Molotov (1980).

it was very much celebrated back in it's day and is non-appearance is very disappointing.

Finch

#1020 Post by Finch » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:48 pm

Reminder! Thanks for all your emails with kind words and suggestions for titles to release. We do read them all but can't respond to every email. They are much appreciated and certainly take note of them. To that end, here's some feedback based on emails we've received:

We would love to release MUDDY RIVER, STING OF DEATH is off to a good start so maybe in future!

THE EEL is a great title, not in our plans right now, but maybe in future!

We have no plans for EL NORTE, there is already a Criterion release.

Yes, we do have more Toei titles coming!

Thanks for recommending that surrealist/political film, we actually have an offer out on it!

We would love to do some of the Russian films suggested but until sanctions are lifted we will not be dealing with those companies.

Thanks for suggesting The Man Who Sleeps - a great film - we have tried repeatedly to license/restore it to no avail - YET!

Thanks for those asking how best to support us - the answer is buying direct from our site, failing that another indie store like
@diabolikdvd or not Amazon but all purchases count!

We will be getting more Scanavo clear cases in soon! We cannot stock the 2-disc cases unfortunately.

TMDaines

#1021 Post by TMDaines » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:15 am

Updated the master list. Looks like we are not going to follow that list month by month in the published order. Only the Bava this month was guessed. The other two seem to be surprises.

Finch

#1022 Post by Finch » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:15 am

Planet of the Vampires and Trenque Lauquen are UK exclusives, the Shinobi set is UK & US. What a lineup.

dadaistnun

#1023 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:17 am

Wow, Trenque Lauquen is a surprise. Curious to see how this compares to Cinema Guild's eventual release. I loved the film and honestly will probably end up buying both if warranted and to support both labels.

Finch

#1024 Post by Finch » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:58 am

Fran said on Discord that Trenque Lauquen is not the TL title teased but is one of the "other titles being worked on".

And their newsletter clue was, "Next month we present The Agitator!" Tom Mes's book on Takashi Miike is called Agitator: The Cinema of Takashi Miike. Radiance were rumoured to have a Miike film (Deadly Outlaw Rekka, maybe?).

EDITED to add most recent availability watchlist:

UK
Thieves Like Us 99% sold out
Yakuza Graveyard 95% sold out
A Moment of Romance 95% sold out
Visible Secret 90% sold out
Scream and Scream Again 90% sold out
A Woman Kills 90% sold out
Cosa Nostra 90% sold out
She Dies Tomorrow 85% sold out
Fill 'Er Up with Super 80% sold out
The End of Civilization 80% sold out
O.C. and Stiggs 75% sold out
The Horrible Dr. Hichcock 75% sold out
Messiah of Evil SE 70% sold out
The Dead Mother 60% sold out

US
Red Sun 95% sold out
Fill 'Er Up with Super 95% sold out
Yakuza Graveyard 95% sold out
Messiah of Evil SE 90% sold out - very few retailers still stocking!
Visible Secret 75% sold out
Cosa Nostra 70% sold out
A Woman Kills 70% sold out
A Moment of Romance 70% sold out
The Iron Prefect 60% sold out

rapta

#1025 Post by rapta » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:26 pm

TMDaines wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:15 am
Updated the master list. Looks like we are not going to follow that list month by month in the published order. Only the Bava this month was guessed. The other two seem to be surprises.
I think many - myself included - thought that the 'SHIN' clue was for Masahiro Shinoda, but it turned out to be the Shinobi no mono series instead (should've known, as ninjas were mentioned a couple of times before). Still hope they get some Shinoda at some point, as some of the MoC DVD titles would be nice to upgrade, or at least they could try and do Demon Pond (assuming Criterion don't have UK rights).

'POV' was very obviously going to be for Planet of the Vampires, but probably due to them mentioning Bava in the subscription teasers.

Anyway, as for the next couple of month's teases, I currently have the following down as guesses:

PDC - Pastoral: To Die in the Country / Puzzle of a Downfall Child?
BOO+ - Bandits of Orgosolo (+ short films)
MH - Manhunt (Sato) / Michael Haneke? / Manhunter (Mann)
SU - Sympathy for the Underdog / Seijun Suzuki? / Susana (Buñuel)
TK3 - Eighteen Years in Prison
MOCK - Jean-Pierre Mocky set