40-42 By a Man's Face Shall You Know Him, Eighteen Years in Prison & I, the Executioner

Discuss releases by Radiance and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

40-42 By a Man's Face Shall You Know Him, Eighteen Years in Prison & I, the Executioner

#1 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:44 am

I, the Executioner

A man brutally murders a woman after forcing her to write the names of four others. As the murders pile up, the police investigate the links between the victims and how they may be connected to the suicide of a young boy in the same building. Directed by Tai Kato (By a Man's Face You Shall Know Him), a former apprentice of Akira Kurosawa better known for his yakuza films, I, the Executioner is a pitch black neo noir that makes the serial killer the central character. Sensationally photographed with claustrophobic close ups, Kato's film evokes both Hitchcock's Psycho and the films of Nagisa Oshima, while also prefiguring the Italian giallo.

LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:

• High-Definition digital transfer
• Uncompressed mono PCM audio
• Visual essay on Japanese serial killer films by Jim Harper
• Appreciation by filmmaker Kenta Fukasaku
• Trailer
• Newly translated English subtitles
• Reversible sleeve featuring original newly commissioned artwork by Time Tomorrow
• Limited edition booklet featuring new writing by Tony Rayns and a new translation of archival writing on the film
• Limited edition of 3000 copies, presented in full-height Scanavo packaging with removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings

feihong

Re: 42 I, the Executioner

#2 Post by feihong » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:07 pm

Never thought I'd see this on blu ray––a favorite of mine, which has grown a lot in my mind over the last few years. A surprising film, made in the vein of Psycho and Peeping Tom, with a soundtrack by a Japanese equivalent of the Swingle Singers, and a kind of unique sympathy for the kind of downtrodden desperation that turns everyday people into vengeful murderers. Amazing to see this on blu ray!

pistolwink

#3 Post by pistolwink » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:34 am

This is one of those Japanese genre movies where the visual inventiveness is so constant that it's almost exhausting. It's also very, very bleak and unpleasant--a real vision of hell. Needless to say, I recommend!

Finch

#4 Post by Finch » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:31 am

Of all the Japanese films I've seen in my life, this is only surpassed by Ichikawa's Fires on the Plain as the most unrelentingly bleak film I've seen. It's take-no-prisoners filmmaking and I applaud Fran for releasing it but while I'm glad to have seen it and would recommend it as well, I don't see myself returning to it often enough to warrant me buying the disc. Something like Revenge offers some sort of remove because of its historical setting, Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer has some black humor to offset the bleakness, but I The Executioner offers no respite. That's not a knock against the film but anyone going into the film expecting to be entertained is going to be disabused of that notion very quickly. I was spellbound and appreciated how the film challenged my assumptions and turned them upside down, forcing me to re-evaluate what I'd seen in the first half. I can count the American noirs that are this uncompromising in their hopelessness on one hand, if that. If I admire the film more than loving it, I want to say thanks to Radiance though for introducing me to Tai Kato. I'm looking forward to seeing his other films.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

40 By a Man's Face Shall You Know Him

#5 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:43 pm

By a Man's Face Shall You Know Him

A community struggles against immigrant gangs in the ruins of postwar Tokyo. Only doctor Amamiya (real-life ex-yakuza Noboru Ando) can save them, but he had enough fighting in the war. His pacifism is severely tested by the gangs' increasingly outrageous taunts and when his neighbours decide to take matters into their own hands, Amamiya is forced to take action. The consequences prove to be much more far-reaching than he could ever foresee. With a story spread across three time periods, Tai Kato's ambitious revision of the yakuza movie was one of the first films to tackle the taboo subject of Japan's Korean nationals, greatly influencing later directors such as Kinji Fukasaku and Takashi Miike.

LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:

• High-Definition digital transfer
• Uncompressed mono PCM audio
• Visual essay on Noboru Ando by Nathan Stuart
• Appreciation by filmmaker Kenta Fukasaku
• Trailer
• Newly translated English subtitles
• Reversible sleeve featuring original newly commissioned artwork by Time Tomorrow
• Limited edition booklet featuring new writing
• Limited edition of 3000 copies, presented in full-height Scanavo packaging with removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings

Finch

#6 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:59 am

Great Cineoutsider review of I, the Executioner that contains spoilers for the film's second half but Slarek tells you where they begin. But this is definitely a film best experienced cold as I did.

Finch

41 Eighteen Years in Prison

#7 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:41 am

Trying to survive in the ruins of post-war Japan, Kawada (Noboru Ando, By a Man’s Face Shall You Know Him) and Tsukada (Asao Koike, Sympathy the Underdog) run afoul of the military police after stealing valuable copper wire. Kawada is arrested and sent to prison, but Tsukada uses their gains to start a yakuza gang. Facing violent inmates and a cruel warden (Tomisaburo Wakayama, Big Time Gambling Boss), Kawada vows to escape and stop his former partner. Tai Kato directs this epic prison story with characteristic visual flair, while gangster-turned-actor Ando delivers a stunning performance charged with real-life gravitas. As an examination of the deep scars of wartime, this genre classic is also a clear precursor to Kinji Fukasaku’s epoch-making Battles Without Honour and Humanity series.

LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

High-Definition digital transfer
Uncompressed mono PCM audio
Appreciation by critic and programmer Tony Rayns (2024)
A visual essay on Japanese prison films by author Tom Mes (2024)
Original trailer
Newly translated English subtitles
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Time Tomorrow
Limited edition booklet featuring new writing by Ivo Smits and an archival interview with Noboru Ando by Mark Schilling

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 40-42 By a Man's Face Shall You Know Him, Eighteen Years in Prison & I, the Executioner

#8 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:38 pm

Interesting that these Tai Katō releases end up being basically a boxset (three sequential spines and even an identically sized book) just without the box

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: 40-42 By a Man's Face Shall You Know Him, Eighteen Years in Prison & I, the Executioner

#9 Post by Drucker » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:14 pm

Watched By A Man's Face tonight and have mixed feelings about it. The film is billed as a somewhat revisionist Yakuza film, and that I guess I can see. The film has flashes of real beauty, with a beautifully shot black and white flashback sequence, some really gruesome bloody scenes, and many scenes which are seemingly domestic in nature, and have an Ozu-style ground level POV. While I loved a lot of the set-up, I'm really not sure the film quite landed it's points for me. The Korean population is depicted poorly (the film is advertised as one that tackle the taboo subject of Japan's Korean nationals) but it doesn't exactly portray them in a flattering or particularly complex light. There are individuals within the film that are treated with delicacy and nuance, but in the shadow of the primary plot, I'm not sure a bigger anti-xenophobic point is well made.

Beyond the politics of the film, I wish we had spent more detail or time with some of our main characters. Amamiya is supposedly dangerous, but it's far into the film where we are actually given a sense of how dangerous he can be. Choi is another character that is has a great set-up, but the whole point about him and Amamiya having paths that cross kind of came together a bit awkwardly for me. Wanted to like it more than I do, but sure I will chew on it for a few days.

zedz

#10 Post by zedz » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:28 pm

Drucker wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:14 pm
The Korean population is depicted poorly (the film is advertised as one that tackle the taboo subject of Japan's Korean nationals) but it doesn't exactly portray them in a flattering or particularly complex light.
I found this a strange claim to make as well, since Japanese anti-Korean racism was a recurring theme of nuberu bagu cinema, and Oshima especially had a field day with it. So my reaction to this film was "ah, here's some of that Japanese racism I've heard so much about." The Koreans in this film are demonized villains making things difficult for the poor, decent properly Japanese criminals. I don't see any nuanced critique of that surface racism.

Kato's style is still fascinating to explore, and I look forward to seeing more of his work.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#11 Post by Drucker » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:35 am

I suppose I must have misread the one Oshima film I watched (Cruel Story Of Youth, and maybe was just projecting my own politics on to it (it has been years). And maybe I was just assuming that the Japanese film makers would have necessarily critiqued the racism pervading Japan at the time!

Mr Sausage

#12 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:19 am

Zedz was saying the Japanese New Wave, and Oshima in particular, were critiquing anti-Korean racism. It's the entire polemic behind Oshima's Death by Hanging for example.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#13 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:24 am

As far as I know, the first critique of poor treatment of Korean Japanese residents can be seen in Hiroshi Shimizu's Arigatou-san. Presented subtly enough to get past censors, but pretty clear nonetheless (even only as a side issue).

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#14 Post by Drucker » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:25 am

Mr Sausage wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:19 am
Zedz was saying the Japanese New Wave, and Oshima in particular, were critiquing anti-Korean racism. It's the entire polemic behind Oshima's Death by Hanging for example.
Okay thank you, I thought that was the case. Appreciate the clarity.

zedz

#15 Post by zedz » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:20 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:19 am
Three Resurrected Drunkards is also all about it.

Mr Sausage

#16 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:30 pm

And doesn't it crop up in Sing a Song of Sex, where one character literally lectures everyone, viewer included, on how the Japanese originally migrated from the Korean peninsula (an idea I don't think there's any evidence for one way or the other), making Japanese racial superiority complete junk?