DVD Cataloguing Software

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
bamwc2

Re: DVD Cataloguing Software

#176 Post by bamwc2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:00 am

senseabove wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:47 am
Here's the website which should link to the right one in for the various app stores/OSs.

I don't know about the desktop version, but the phone version scans barcodes with your phone camera. Note that the desktop and mobile version are two separate charges, and buying one doesn't grant access to the other.
Thanks. This is very helpful, but I'm still a little confused. I see that there's a "pro" version for $9.99 and a free version, but I don't see an explanation of the difference between the two. Which one do you use? Do you know what you get with the pay version, that you don't get with the free one?

senseabove

#177 Post by senseabove » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:33 pm

Yeah, neither the website nor the app are the most... intuitive. They both have an unfortunate, kinda bizarre learning curve. Wait til you try to understand the point system they offer for contributing to the database.

The free versions of both mobile and desktop apps limit you to 50 titles. I think they’re otherwise fully functional.

DeprongMori

#178 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:23 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:22 pm
When I check the app store, I see several different My Movies apps -- who made the one you are talking about?
The developer is Binnerup Consulting in DK. I see two apps listed — this free (upgradable) version limits the database to fifty titles and gives you a chance to try the interface and functionality, and the Pro version for $9.99 which removes the limits.
Oh -- and do you need a bar code reader if you use the app on your PC?
No barcode reader needed on the PC interface. You can just enter the numbers under the barcode to retrieve the record for that release. Using a barcode scanner just makes it a lot quicker, especially if you are cataloging a large collection. You certainly don’t need one for testing out the functionality as you can do manual entry.

(I believe there is a similarly stubbed version of the PC software available for trial as well at https://mymovies.dk).

bamwc2

#179 Post by bamwc2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks, senseabove. I went ahead and downloaded the app. Unfortunately, I only have a handful of discs to scan here. 99% of my collection is at my parent's house, and with the quarantine going on, I don't know when I'll be back there to scan them.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#180 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:53 pm

I have a webcam -- but they don't apparently support webcam barcode reading anymore. I started entering Japanese DVDs and blurays -- and have found that they have almost none of them in their database. :-(

jazzo

#181 Post by jazzo » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:57 pm

Thought I'd offer up another option for cataloging discs.

Looking for software for book cataloging, I came across developer, Kimico's, Book Buddy, which was a fairly inexpensive full version purchase. It pretty much captured all of my needs to properly log my collection, almost always catching the title from an ISBN scan off my phone, and modular enough to adjust any data you need to for your own preferences. All of that data, by the way, can easily be cross-referenced, sorted in a variety of ways (anything from Title to director to year of release, studio, writer, series, etc), backed-up to cloud storage, exported (and printed), imported and shared amongst multiple devices. You can enter things manually. You can search online, find it, and save it to your catalogue. You can replace any image you want.

I actually thought I was fine with the free Blu-Ray.Com app, but it after a while I found its aesthetic a bit too messy, and off-putting how reliant it was on an internet connection and data usage. And Book Buddy so perfectly matched my needs, I went ahead and purchased their Movie Buddy and Music Buddy apps in a $12.00 bundle (CAD) , and have found both to be just as amazing.

Multiple movies or television shows can found as bundles or individually. I've chosen to log individual releases, amending the info, as needed, and then bundling the films or shows as a "series", which will link them all. Finding television series through their online search instead of scanning also brings up a list of each individual episode and their air dates!

So, just in case I've piqued anyone's interested, all three apps can be found here: https://www.kimicoapps.com/

The bundle came from Apple.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#182 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:58 pm

Is there a reason why you wouldn't just use the free Goodreads app for books?

jazzo

#183 Post by jazzo » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:05 pm

I'm a little out of it at the best of times, Domino. I didn't know about it, to be perfectly honest.

knives

#184 Post by knives » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:33 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:58 pm
Is there a reason why you wouldn't just use the free Goodreads app for books?
They don’t have pages for many of my books, I’m not even going by editions for most of these, so I’ve had to make my own system for my books. I’ve been trying to make suggestions to their database to compensate, but they’re pretty unresponsive on the best of days.