1060 Amores perros

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

1060 Amores perros

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:16 pm

Amores Perros

Sending shock waves through the Mexican film industry and the world, this blistering feature debut from Alejandro Iñárritu brought the director’s electrifying visual style and bravura multistrand storytelling to the screen with the heart-stopping impact of a primal scream. In Mexico City, the lives of three strangers—a young man (Gael García Bernal) mixed up in the gritty underworld of dogfighting, a glamorous woman (Goya Toledo) who seems to have it all, and a mysterious assassin (Emilio Echevarría) who is desperate to reconnect with his estranged daughter—collide in a tragic twist of fate that forever alters their personal journeys. A tour de force of violence and emotion captured in a rush of kinetic handheld camera work, Amores perros is an unforgettable plunge into a world of brutality and aching, interconnected humanity.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Alejandro Iñárritu and director of photography Rodrigo Prieto, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between Iñárritu and filmmaker Paweł Pawlikowski
  • New conversation between Iñárritu and actors Adriana Barraza, Vanessa Bauche, and Gael García Bernal
  • Perros, amores, accidentes, a new documentary on the making of the film featuring behind-the-scenes footage
  • Rehearsal footage with narration by Iñárritu
  • New interview with composer Gustavo Santaolalla
  • New video essay by film scholar Paul Julian Smith
  • Deleted scenes, with optional commentary by Iñárritu and Prieto
  • Music videos for songs from the film’s soundtrack by Control Machete, Café Tacvba, and Julieta Venegas
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
    PLUS: Essays by critic Fernanda Solórzano and author Juan Villoro

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 1060 Amores perros

#2 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:20 pm

AGI > the Criterion Forum

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#3 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:19 pm

That is a very solid set of extras! I haven't seen it since it was initially in theaters, and I'll be interested to see how it holds up after the mid-2000s ubiquity of the "multiple interconnected stories" structure.

therewillbeblus

#4 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:40 pm

Even though I remember feeling quite strongly that neither parts two or three beat the first story, this remains my favorite AGI after Birdman, and the only other one of his films I really liked aside from 21 Grams- though I also haven't seen either since I was a kid, so a lot could change. Like you DI, seeing this in the midst of the post-Pulp Fiction fragmented narrative boom definitely could've swayed its effectiveness as that concept got old for me fast, and then imploded with Crash (I wonder how many of those still hold up in general, aside from Go and Traffic, which always stood out as great)

Close The Door, Raymond

#5 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:10 am

Great news. I avoided an earlier blu-ray release from Lionsgate.

The transfer used for the Lionsgate blu-ray removed the bleach-bypass look seen in the original theatrical release and earlier DVD releases.

The Lionsgate DVD and blu-ray has audio commentary by Iñárritu and writer Guillermo Arriaga in Spanish with English subtitles as well as deleted scenes (also with commentary).

Close The Door, Raymond

#6 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:35 am

On a Zoom call with Mexican press honoring Amores perros, González Iñárritu announced he’s working on a new restoration of the film. He advises everyone to avoid the video releases that are out there which, to his view, don’t do Prieto’s color contrast aesthetic justice. Indeed, the Oscar-nominated cinematographer is working closely on the restoration as well.
https://remezcla.com/film/amores-perros ... ary-plans/

barnyard078

#7 Post by barnyard078 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:30 pm

Deleted scenes, with optional commentary by Iñárritu and Prieto, have now been added to this release.

dwk

#8 Post by dwk » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:28 pm

FrauBlucher

#9 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:26 am

Mr Sausage

Amores perros (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2000)

#10 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:45 am

DISCUSSION ENDS MONDAY, January 4th

Members have a two week period in which to discuss the film before it's moved to its dedicated thread in The Criterion Collection subforum. Please read the Rules and Procedures.

This thread is not spoiler free. This is a discussion thread; you should expect plot points of the individual films under discussion to be discussed openly. See: spoiler rules.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

I encourage members to submit questions, either those designed to elicit discussion and point out interesting things to keep an eye on, or just something you want answered. This will be extremely helpful in getting discussion started. Starting is always the hardest part, all the more so if it's unguided. Questions can be submitted to me via PM.

feihong

Re: Amores perros (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2000)

#11 Post by feihong » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:21 am

Okay, so here's a question. This is about what I think was the final story in the films triptych (I only saw the film once back in 2000 or 2001? Pretty sure it ends on this scene), where the hit man brings together his client and his target and reveals to them that one hired the hit man to kill the other. And then he kind of washes his hands of it and leaves with his conscience finally clear.

This is the premise of a short story, published prior to the release of this film. I'm sure of it. Not written by Arriaga, I don't think. I know I read it, because when I saw the movie, it clicked right away, and I was like, "Oh yeah, they're adapting ________." I can't remember the name of the short story, or the name of the author any more. But I'm 100% certain this bit, where the killer brings together the two with their grudge, is the backbone of a short story I read prior to 2000. Does anyone else have a recollection of such a story? Is it just me inside my head.

Btw, I thought this movie was so boring.

therewillbeblus

#12 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:48 pm

I hadn't seen this since I think high school when I distinctly remember liking the first story miles beyond the others, and a revisit left me with more or less a similar experience, although one that bridged a greater appreciation for the execution of themes. The fine line between self-preservation and ignorantly complacent self-seeking behavior is explored to interesting ends without defaulting to obnoxious didactics, especially when "self-preservation" is defined on love's opaque terms in the basic core need for self-care and external compassion. "Love's a bitch", or "bad loves", two translations of the title, seems to infer that the ambiguity of love- more specifically, are my actions sourced in another person/thing/value/idea, or actually love for myself masked as the former?- is such an insoluble rhetorical question that diluting our psyche's of all the complex variables stimulating our actions feels to be an unbearable feat and ultimate paradox. Dogs are devoted to man and live by simplified virtues of affection but are also wild animals capable of getting lost in lower-brain violence or other regressive reactivity and dissonant chaos, and Iñárritu finds ways for characters to simplify themselves through this selfish havoc with relativist irony.

I was focused too much on the loose story connectivity aspect the first time around, but I respect how Iñárritu seems to be harmonizing the commonality of this nebulous existential struggle across social contexts. He professes equal parts cynicism, in defaulting to our soiled essences, and hope for rehabilitation, to make choices starting at any moment that have an absolute-value impact on the future without being tied to the past. These tangible markers of love are sometimes all we can do to transmit and find meaning; be they making and giving money, finding a dog under a floor, or sobering up to one's participation in immoral acts and attempting to abolish self-centered control (showing up unwanted to see the daughter) as well as disengage with the system that perpetuates suffering (feihong's 'reveal'). I don't think the intent is for this to clear anyone's conscience, and if anything Iñárritu disrupts any clear path for his characters to look forward at the opportunities that come with such a power of choice, and can't help but demonstrate how one is compelled to reflect on their relationship with the past, which can't be traversed. There's a gravity to the necessity and magnetic pull of certain structures and drives (socioeconomic disparities prompting moral sacrifice, expectations dependent on circumstances and superficialities affecting devotion and love more than the individuality of the loved one; self-pity and refusal to accept life on life's terms clouding one's ability to transform into the person who really deserves the love they seek) that Iñárritu doesn't just acknowledge but validates characters for defaulting to them.

However, it's important to note that his characters use resources from and rely on the systems that exploit their natures to to try to break free from these natures, a contradictory cycle that includes succumbing to them. Octavio engages in unethical systems of economics and involves himself in facilitating criminal acts against his brother to get what he wants, and later continues to pine selfishly, simplifying the situation that's complex to Susana, honing in on his own core of self-gain and ignoring cultural, systemic, and (most significantly) his love interest's own subjective barriers to try to desperately liberate himself from the forces that perpetuate his nature, even though it's coming from within. El Chivo does something similar in his very aggressive act to leave it all behind- he's actively and passionately manipulating the situation and even if the ritual is one of cleansing himself, it's entirely rooted in using these violent behaviors founded in self-will-run-riot to achieve a sense of catharsis that he can't find where he most desires to get it. Instead of this serving as a "washes his hands of it and leaves with his conscience finally clear" moment of clarity, he finds that no singular epiphany (or makeover) can keep him from that drive toward indulging one's own victimization based on an inability to accept the past, and the present based on that past. These bitter ironies of anti-character development all adds to this grey portrait of human nature, but through it all I still find the film more interesting to think about than to watch.