Gaumont French Releases

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
mhofmann

Re: Gaumont French Releases

#476 Post by mhofmann » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:56 pm

tenia wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:46 pm
I totally agree with you, it's a combinaison of both issues : the weird grading in low lit areas/shots and the encode which can't properly handle it.
I'd however add that there might be a third issue : the darker elements look pretty smooth, as if brighter elements retained their high frequencies but darker ones didn't. In some intermediate (in terms of lighting) shots, faces for instance are quite smooth, as if some grain management was applied but depending on the brightness of the content.
Yeah, could be. I honestly can't tell what might have happened here besides the problematic compression, or whether this might be salvageable given the uncompressed master or not. Clearly some overly zealous digital manipulation.
tenia wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:46 pm
I posted a few of the Clément shots here : https://twitter.com/Testsbluraycom/stat ... 2925831171
I'm at a loss for words... :shock:

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#477 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:25 am

L.A.

#478 Post by L.A. » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:11 am

La Fin du monde (Abel Gance, 1931) Blu-ray came out not long ago. Let’s do the asking regarding English subtitles; well, are there any?

La Clé du Ciel

#479 Post by La Clé du Ciel » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:21 am

L.A. wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:11 am
La Fin du monde (Abel Gance, 1931) Blu-ray came out not long ago. Let’s do the asking regarding English subtitles; well, are there any?
I can confirm that the main feature does indeed have English subtitles. The extras do not. There are also French subtitles for the hard-of-hearing, which frankly covers everyone trying to listen to the film’s murky soundtrack.

As far as I can tell, the version of the film itself is the same as that presented on the old Gaumont DVD, the different runtime explained by the latter’s PAL speedup. When the Blu-ray was first announced, one of the extras “TBC” was an alternative print of LA FIN DU MONDE – presumably the shorter copy held in the Národní Filmovy Archiv, Prague. This has not been included, which is a shame. But what the Blu-ray really needs is a summary of Gance’s original scenario and/or screenplay, complete with any available production stills to help fill in the gaps. Gance assembled an initial print of 5250m (about 190 minutes), whereas the version released in cinemas was 2800m (about 101 minutes). Gaumont’s print is 95 minutes long, so not even as long as the latter.

The inclusion of AUTOUR DE LA FIN DU MONDE (1931) is a welcome extra on the Blu-ray, as its only previous release was as part of a compilation DVD some years ago in an issue of the French journal 1895. As a “documentary” record of the production, it is less coherent than the feature film itself – offering random scraps of behind-the-scenes footage, test shots, and cut scenes. But it is worth watching for one shot alone: the close-up of Antonin Artaud screaming into camera, with hallucinatory lights behind him and a warping effect in front of the lens. It's just about the most astonishing close-up Gance ever filmed. A glimpse of genius amid the mournful wreckage of LA FIN DU MONDE.

L.A.

#480 Post by L.A. » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:31 am

^ La Clé du Ciel, thank you. 🙂

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#481 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:12 pm

Be aware however that the restoration is particularly limited in basically its first hour, despite being a recent 2k resto from a 4k scan. However, it is a 4k scan of 2 different elements, the OCN and a countertype (I think it either translates as "safety print" or dupe neg), and I suppose this first half is based on the lower element and it just looks borderline SD and blurry. The last 30 minutes or so feels like switching from an awful DVD to a brand new restoration.

L.A.

#482 Post by L.A. » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:05 pm

I also noticed that TBC for the alternate shorter version for the Gance film. Wondering why couldn’t they add it, surely you’d think Gaumont and Národní filmový archiv have good relations so shouldn’t be a problem? Also Eureka wanted the Czech version of Straight Shooting for the Two Films by John Ford release but without success.

So what exactly is the damn problem? Why even announce these? 😖