MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
ryannichols7

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

#4226 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:34 pm

Marwood wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:33 am
I little birdie has told me that Eureka will be releasing the 1923 Lon Chaney version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame soon. So no need for those of us in Europe to splurge for the Kino or Flicker Alley release.
this would be an awesome October release.

speaking of Flicker Alley titles...The Most Dangerous Game has been officially hinted, which is awesome. no brainer MOC title

Marwood

#4227 Post by Marwood » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:33 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:34 pm
speaking of Flicker Alley titles...The Most Dangerous Game has been officially hinted, which is awesome. no brainer MOC title
Actually, the same person who told me about the Chaney also confirmed that The Most Dangerous Game was soon to be released. I'll most likely purchase both titles when they are released.

ryannichols7

#4228 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:58 pm

Marwood wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:33 pm
ryannichols7 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:34 pm
Actually, the same person who told me about the Chaney also confirmed that The Most Dangerous Game was soon to be released. I'll most likely purchase both titles when they are released.
luckily Hunchback '23 is now confirmed as well and we can get both in October!

great slate all around, bravo Eureka team, I think these will make many happy. I gotta admire how they tease the whole lineup now since it usually leaks anyway..

Finch

#4229 Post by Finch » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:33 pm

I'll be getting The Most Dangerous Game as well. I've never seen the Chaney version of Hunchback and I can't imagine it supplanting the Charles Laughton film so I'm going to try watch it first before buying. I wonder if we'll get a Hongkong title as well for October.

Orlac

#4230 Post by Orlac » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:03 pm

Wow. 25 years ago, Hunchback (along with Nosferatu) were my very first mail-order purchases. £12.99 for two tapes...from Eureka Video!

That presentation of Hunchback was, ala their VHS of Metropolis, a ragged PD print stretched in slow-mo to an far-too-long 140min, with a rag-tag mixture of classical staples and random electronic musak. Even so, 10-year-old me was hooked on the film!

So I have Eureka to thank for introducing me to the lovely Parchelbel's Canon in D Major!

Glowingwabbit

#4231 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:09 pm

Finch wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:33 pm
I wonder if we'll get a Hongkong title as well for October.
The plan was at least one HK title a month this year.

FrauBlucher

#4232 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:14 pm

Anyone care to speculate at the source material used for The Most Dangerous Game?

Orlac

#4233 Post by Orlac » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:54 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:14 pm
Anyone care to speculate at the source material used for The Most Dangerous Game?
I assume it's the same as the Flicker Alley release?

FrauBlucher

#4234 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:01 pm

This is from the Flicker Alley website.... "restored in high definition from the original 35mm studio fine grain master positive,"

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4235 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:19 pm

Finch

#4236 Post by Finch » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:24 am

They have also released images of Charles Laughton in The Strange Door and Boris Karloff in Black Friday.

What A Disgrace

#4237 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:56 am

"Maniacal Mayhem (Three Films Starring Boris Karloff)" seems to be the title of the set, and one of the co-stars is Bela Lugosi, it just has to be The Invisible Ray!

Finch

#4238 Post by Finch » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:19 pm

The set above has been confirmed by Amazon for Oct 17 as is Hunchback of Notre Dame and a standard edition of Vampyr. The Most Dangerous Game is dated for Oct 24.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4239 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:36 pm

Whenever it was that I made this decision, I felt inclined to keep both the FA and Kino releases of Hunchback (because they have two different scores? I can't remember). Wonder if I'll be able to get rid of either of those now

FrauBlucher

#4240 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:20 am

The details are up for the new releases. The Most Dangerous Game is a new 2k scan from original cam negative.

ryannichols7

#4241 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:48 pm

post from Eureka on the other board, I assume Jacob or Jon...
It's a bit more complicated than that. Universal having those titles in the back catalogue doesn't automatically mean they are interested in licensing to the UK. We have had a lot of requests rejected due to the licensor possibly having "future plans". Studios are paying more attention to what they own now, and we are finding it a lot harder to acquire what we want.

Hunchback of Notre Dame was actually originally scheduled for October last year – suddenly we were told that we had to holdback our release until an unspecified date because Universal had something planned. Then we see Kino announce theirs for release in September... We raised a fuss but still had to hold back.

I know some of you are frustrated by the amount of HK releases recently, but to be brutally honest if we didn't have those titles it is very likely Eureka wouldn't have survived the last few years. I personally love working on the HK titles, but they are a lot of work and I wish we could space them out a bit more – but with increased competition from other labels who are seeing good sales from the Hong Kong stuff, combined with an increasingly limited selection of acquisitions from elsewhere means it kind of had to be that way this year.

I am sure things will change again, we've got some interesting stuff planned for next year so hopefully there will be a bit more balance between MoC and Classics.
good statement. the part about Universal is crazy. cause here I was thinking MOC was able to license practically anything from the early Universal catalog with little to no issue

luckily I tend to think the MOC side of things has sold pretty well. look how fast Vampyr and Johnny Guitar sold out, and both of those had region A releases that many had already gotten. I'd like to think the silents and early stuff does okay too since they're basically the only ones putting this stuff out. hopefully this is all the case

Glowingwabbit

#4242 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:25 am

Edit:

From twitter: Yes, Madam! teased as coming soon. Magnificent Warriors and Royal Warriors teased as early 2023 (hopefully a double feature)

yoloswegmaster

#4243 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:45 am

If Yes, Madam isn't being paired up with Royal Warriors, which would have made more sense since they are a part of the same series, then I doubt we will see a double feature of Royal and Magnificent Warriors (especially since they don't have much in common outside of Michelle Yeoh starring in both and both having the same director).

Glowingwabbit

#4244 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:51 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:45 am
If Yes, Madam isn't being paired up with Royal Warriors, which would have made more sense since they are a part of the same series, then I doubt we will see a double feature of Royal and Magnificent Warriors (especially since they don't have much in common outside of Michelle Yeoh starring in both and both having the same director).
Edit: I realized I confused Magnificent Warriors with a different film. I know they aren't from the same series, but having the same actress and director is enough for a pairing. It would have been nice to put all tl3 together as a Michelle Yeoh boxset though.

yoloswegmaster

#4245 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:05 am

Wong Jing's The Last Blood was being promoted as Hard Boiled 2 overseas, even though it had come out a year earlier than John Woo's film, so I wouldn't put much merit into the international titles. I also disagree with Magnificent Warriors being a weak film, as I think it stands toe-to-toe with the first 4 ITLOD films.

therewillbeblus

#4246 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:07 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:25 am
Edit:

From twitter: Yes, Madam! teased as coming soon. Magnificent Warriors and Royal Warriors teased as early 2023 (hopefully a double feature)
This is the best news I've seen in a single post in as long as I can remember

Finch

#4247 Post by Finch » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:12 pm

Haven't seen any of the three but very excited for all of them! We can assume Yes, Madam is for November (along with one or two "major MOC titles")? These might sell particularly well after Michelle Yeoh's great performance in Everything Everywhere All At Once.

dwk

#4248 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:43 am

Irongod2112 shot down someone saying Arrow probably would be releasing the Yeoh films in the US/Region A. So no Running out of Time 1 & 2 or Hapkido & Lady Whirlwind double feature situation with these three.

Finch

#4249 Post by Finch » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:51 am

Frank Djeng has teased a big announcement for November.

yoloswegmaster

#4250 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:14 am

dwk wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:43 am
Irongod2112 shot down someone saying Arrow probably would be releasing the Yeoh films in the US/Region A. So no Running out of Time 1 & 2 or Hapkido & Lady Whirlwind double feature situation with these three.
It'll most likely be 88 Films who will be releasing these in the States. Hopefully they create a boxset for all the films instead of individual releases.