1186 The Ranown Westerns: Five Films Directed by Budd Boetticher

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

1186 The Ranown Westerns: Five Films Directed by Budd Boetticher

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:39 am

The Ranown Westerns: Five Films Directed by Budd Boetticher

The five briskly entertaining, vividly performed westerns made by director Budd Boetticher and strapping star Randolph Scott in the second half of the 1950s transcend their B-movie origins to become rich, unexpectedly profound explorations of loyalty, greed, honor, and revenge. Often grouped under the name Ranown (after producer Harry Joe Brown and Scott’s production company) and colorfully scripted by Burt Kennedy and Charles Lang, these films seem to unfold in a world unto themselves, staking a claim between traditional westerns and the subversive genre revisionism of the 1960s—and representing the crowning achievement of the underappreciated auteur Boetticher.

SIX-DISC 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • New 4K digital restorations by Sony Pictures Entertainment, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
  • Three 4K UHD discs of the films presented in Dolby Vision HDR and three Blu-rays with the films and special features
  • Introductions to the films by filmmakers Martin Scorsese and Taylor Hackford
  • New introduction by film critic Farran Smith Nehme on actor Randolph Scott
  • Three audio commentaries, featuring film scholar Jeanine Basinger on The Tall T, film critic Jeremy Arnold on Ride Lonesome, and Hackford on Comanche Station
  • Archival programs featuring interviews with director Budd Boetticher
  • Audio conversation with Boetticher and film scholar Jim Kitses
  • Super 8 home-movie version of Comanche Station
  • Trailers
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    PLUS: An essay by film scholar Tom Gunning
The Tall T

Based on a story by Elmore Leonard, this collaboration between director Budd Boetticher, actor Randolph Scott, and screenwriter Burt Kennedy is a model of elegantly economical storytelling charged with psychological tension. Here, Scott is the easygoing rancher who, along with the newlywed daughter (Maureen O’Sullivan) of a wealthy mining baron, must use his wits to stay alive when he is taken hostage by a band of ruthless stagecoach robbers. He is memorably matched by Richard Boone’s dangerously charming, nearly sympathetic villain in a performance that exemplifies the fine moral shading that distinguishes the Ranown westerns.

Decision at Sundown

Randolph Scott boldly subverts his upstanding image in this stark, often startlingly bleak tale of revenge and a man’s misguided quest for redemption. He plays the mysterious stranger who, consumed by hatred for the man he blames for his wife’s suicide, rides into the corrupt town of Sundown hell-bent on vengeance. There, both he and the townspeople face a reckoning that forces them to confront disturbing truths about themselves. All but annihilating the myth of the righteous western hero, Decision at Sundown edges the Ranown films into increasingly dark, despairing territory.

Buchanan Rides Alone

Welcome to Agry Town, a corrupt border outpost presided over by a pair of rival brothers whose bottomless greed corrupts everything in their orbit. Into this moral cesspool rides drifter Tom Buchanan (Randolph Scott), who soon finds himself railroaded for murder and, alongside a vengeful young Mexican vaquero, forced to take a stand for justice. The noir-tinged narrative—replete with twists, double crosses, and the kind of richly drawn villains who are hallmarks of the Ranown westerns—moves with entertaining economy toward a memorably ironic climax.

Ride Lonesome

Mysterious motivations drive taciturn bounty hunter Ben Brigade (Randolph Scott) to capture a wanted murderer—but his quest is complicated when he is accosted by a pair of outlaws who have their own inscrutable reasons for riding along. Masterfully scripted by Burt Kennedy, who weaves a complex web of ambiguous loyalties and motives, and featuring supporting turns by genre icons James Coburn (in his film debut) and Lee Van Cleef, the first of the Ranown westerns to be shot in CinemaScope makes striking use of the enlarged frame—with a final shot that stands as perhaps the single most unforgettable image in the series.

Comanche Station

The last collaboration between Budd Boetticher and Randolph Scott brings the Ranown westerns full circle, reexamining many of the films’ key themes and tropes: greed, loyalty, hidden motivations, and the fine moral line that separates heroes from villains. Scott stars as the enigmatic Jefferson Cody, who rescues a woman kidnapped by Comanches for reasons that may have nothing to do with the bounty offered for her return. But before he can bring her to safety, he’ll have to contend with the dangers of the Comanche warpath and a trio of bounty hunters who have designs on the reward.

Ribs

Re: 1186 The Ranown Westerns: Five Films Directed by Budd Boetticher

#2 Post by Ribs » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:53 am

Just for the purpose of pointing out: the Indicator release was derived by older HD maters and one 2K remaster (for Ride Lonesome), so these should be all new and look just spiffy in comparison. I'm sure a lot of us look at this release and think it's bold to attempt to match what many feel one of the definitive home video releases in recent years but doing it in 4K with new masters is definitely the way to go about it even if the extras package isn't looking exactly quite as robust (nor would I really expect it to be).

Peacock

#3 Post by Peacock » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:55 am

Wasn’t expecting these in 4K!
Looks like a perfect example of a situation where you’d want to own the CC and the Indicator.

MitchPerrywinkle

#4 Post by MitchPerrywinkle » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:00 pm

I snagged the Indicator set during the pandemic and gifted it to a friend of mine who adores Westerns, but not before going through all of the films and ripping the extras onto my hard drive. So I have no qualms about double-dipping for all-new 4K restorations of uniformly strong films (Decision at Sundown notwithstanding).

The only disappointment, as was the case with the Indicator, is the exclusion of Seven Men From Now, though I imagine Criterion couldn't surpass the rights snafu to acquire that one either. But a 4K restoration of that would have made this announcement all the sweeter.

Matt

#5 Post by Matt » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:49 pm

The day has finally come when I don’t regret not buying the Indicator box set.

Finch

#6 Post by Finch » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:55 pm

The new extras look promising but I'll be holding on to the Indicator set for their features and Nick Wrigley's beautifully designed box. The next Criterion 50% sale feels so long away.

ryannichols7

#7 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:18 pm

Finch wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:55 pm
The new extras look promising but I'll be holding on to the Indicator set for their features and Nick Wrigley's beautifully designed box. The next Criterion 50% sale feels so long away.
only one new extra, but it's from the always excellent Farran Smith Nehme, so I'm pleased. that said - I don't regret paying up for the Indicator box at all, theirs is vastly superior in terms of extras and (surely) packaging design as you mentioned. now if Indicator were to get ahold of the same DV masters from Sony and upgrade their box, then I'd regret it, and probably still pay up for it.

but this is a pretty big upgrade in terms of the masters, one I never would've guessed would be a priority to Criterion (or Sony, for that matter). as big of a surprise announcement as there's been lately

Matt

#8 Post by Matt » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:39 pm

Well, this did it: the thing that finally got me to upgrade my system to 4K! Looking forward to re-buying my favorites for the 3rd or 4th time. If Auntie Mame ever gets released in 4K (unlikely), I will have owned it on VHS, laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray, and 4K.

criterionsnob

#9 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:32 pm

You won’t regret it! Make sure to also upgrade your HDMI cables, so they work with Dolby Vision. I just upgraded my UHD cables and the difference in the black levels is drastic. The cuts to black during the Three Colors: Blue UHD made the entire room go pitch black. I’ve been using lesser cables and have been living with splotchy black levels for the last couple of years because I thought there was nothing I could do about it. I’m stunned it’s the same TV.

tolbs1010

#10 Post by tolbs1010 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:45 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:39 pm
Well, this did it: the thing that finally got me to upgrade my system to 4K! Looking forward to re-buying my favorites for the 3rd or 4th time. If Auntie Mame ever gets released in 4K (unlikely), I will have owned it on VHS, laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray, and 4K.
Ahh yes. The purchase in every format. Congrats on entering the next phase of this peculiar brand of OCD! The best is when you upgrade to the next level without ever having opened the previous iteration. It hurts a little, but once you've given away that unopened copy and you're left with the definitive(!) version of the film on your shelf, it feels like proper order has been restored.

onedimension

#11 Post by onedimension » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:00 pm

criterionsnob wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:32 pm
You won’t regret it! Make sure to also upgrade your HDMI cables, so they work with Dolby Vision. I just upgraded my UHD cables and the difference in the black levels is drastic. The cuts to black during the Three Colors: Blue UHD made the entire room go pitch black. I’ve been using lesser cables and have been living with splotchy black levels for the last couple of years because I thought there was nothing I could do about it. I’m stunned it’s the same TV.
That's a thing? What cables do you need?

therewillbeblus

#12 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:46 pm

onedimension wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:00 pm
criterionsnob wrote:
I bought the ones mentioned in this post

criterionsnob

#13 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:24 am

onedimension wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:00 pm
criterionsnob wrote:
I didn't think it was a thing, but I'm now a believer. I bought 48Gbps HDMI 2.1 cables. It's a night and day difference for my setup.

therewillbeblus

#14 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:01 am

Will the 18gbps ones I linked still do the trick? What’s the difference?

EddieLarkin

#15 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:35 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:01 am
Will the 18gbps ones I linked still do the trick? What’s the difference?
Yes. Ultra High Speed HDMI Cables (48Gbps) offer nothing to a UHD user. Their extra features are 8K resolution and 4K@120Hz (i.e. they are for gamers who want to use HDMI 2.1 features).

All UHD discs and features will work with Premium High Speed HDMI Cables (18Gbps).

In fact, even the older High Speed HDMI Cables (10.2Gbps) are perfectly suitable for UHD/HDR viewing. The only thing they lack is 4K@60Hz, but 99.9% of UHDs are 4K@24Hz only anyway.

In other words, criterionsnob's problems were very unlikely to be solved by a cable change.

Nunn_ya

#16 Post by Nunn_ya » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:40 pm

I literally did a fist pump in the air at my cubicle here at work. I still have the old DVD set (Director’s Choice or something?). I usually wait until a 50% off sale, but this might be a day one, full price purchase.

(And so excited I actually posted in this forum instead of just lurking in the cover art section)

Matt

#17 Post by Matt » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:34 am

This should be 50% off in the July Barnes & Noble sale (if that’s actually happening and if that’s an option for you).

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#18 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:16 am

A curio connected to this set just popped up on YouTube. Wildcatters, a pilot directed by Budd Boetticher, written by Burt Kennedy and produced by Batjac. It’s by no means a lost masterpiece, but this was unknown to me and is an amusing watch. Between the awful theme song and its odd premise in the glut of fifties TV westerns, it’s no wonder it didn’t get picked up. I haven’t seen Kennedy’s late-sixties western comedies, but it seems to anticipate that more than the violent, stoic films of Boetticher.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#20 Post by Drucker » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:23 pm

Very excited to pick this up, and very happy the set will have updated blu-rays. Looks amazing.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#21 Post by tenia » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:28 am

A 4k restoration from OCN encoded at 24 Mbps on a BD despite the movie not even being 1h20 ? That's the Pixelogic I know !

cdnchris
Site Admin

#22 Post by cdnchris » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:34 pm

tenia wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:28 am
A 4k restoration from OCN encoded at 24 Mbps on a BD despite the movie not even being 1h20 ? That's the Pixelogic I know !
Yeah, it's odd. They look okay but they're probably about what you are expecting. The 4Ks look really good, though!

Also, for those wondering, here are the "archival" Boetticher programs Criterion alludes to in their supplement listing:

Budd Boetticher: A Man Can Do That documentary
Cinéma de notre temps: "Boetticher Rides Again"
Budd Boetticher: A Study in Self-Determination, 1971 documentary featuring Taylor Hackford interviewing Boetticher about his experiences as a bullfighter in Mexico
Budd Boetticher and Jim Kitses: audio interview from 1969 where the two talk about the series of westerns he made with actor Randolph Scott
Visiting Budd Boetticher: excerpts from a 1999 interview where Boetticher shares stories about his collaborations with actor Randolph Scott and screenwriter Burt Kennedy

The Kitses and "Visiting Budd Boetticher" interviews are found on the Indicator release(s). The "Man Can Do That" doc is from the 2008 Sony DVD set. The Eastwood introduction for Comanche Station is not here for some reason.

sammy1

#23 Post by sammy1 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:11 pm

The visual difference between the Indicator and Criterion transfers is staggering if the the screen grabs on the dvd Beaver website are to be trusted. I would be very curious to see more comparative samples between the sets for all films, to try to figure which set is more visually accurate on the blu ray format.

Matt

#24 Post by Matt » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:17 pm

The blues and reds on the Criterions seem to “pop” more, which would be true to the film stock and bright shooting conditions, but the contrast seems perhaps too sharp, too harsh. I’m sure they’ll look fine in motion, but comparison between the screen caps emphasizes the differences.

davidhuxley

#25 Post by davidhuxley » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:25 pm

Which Criterion staff producer is credited for the disc release?