Jean-Luc Godard

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: Jean-Luc Godard

#1076 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:28 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:32 am
Is it possible also that sometimes Quebec did its own dubs in Québécois French? This one sounds like it.
It's possible this was dubbed done by a distributor of an unofficial compilation videos; some examples of such dubs are here, though unlike Hare Tonic these are from public-domain cartoons. (Also, the Hare Tonic dub sounds much more professional despite its problems.) This thread on a fan project to restore the original French-dubbed versions says the same thing happened in France. The thread also has lots of information on the older official dubs, including some of the changes made along the way (like the various actors who dubbed Elmer, and Speedy being renamed "Presto Gonzales" before reverting to his English name a few episodes later*) and the fact that some shorts were dubbed twice even before the redubbings of the late '90s.

*Something similar happened with Pepé Le Pew, who was called "Henry" in the original French dub of Odor-able Kitty but renamed "Pépé le putois" (Pépé the Polecat) for his later cartoons.

Saturnome

#1077 Post by Saturnome » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:30 pm

Never heard these dubs before! No doubt they were circulating before my time though. All I ever heard was Guy Piérauld's original Bugs Bunny, but I watched them on television and what I'm sure were official VHS. Maybe a reason that it stayed here is that the new dub make use of french slang ("tronche de cake") that isn't used here.

Guy Piérauld also used to dub Hervé Villechaize, such as in The Man with the Golden Gun. I used to think that Hervé Villechaize was the one voicing Bugs Bunny.

lzx

#1078 Post by lzx » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:36 am

The Instagram Live event first posted about on the previous page is now available with English subtitles on the host's Vimeo page!

barbarella satyricon

#1079 Post by barbarella satyricon » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:25 am

Fantastic. Really good of ÉCAL to go and sub the whole thing too. Watched it live and my high school French wasn’t catching much of anything, so I was mostly just reading the non-stop scroll of viewers’ comments: French comments about how much and how sweetly the old guy was smiling, English and Spanish requests/demands for live translation, more than a few Chinese comments about “cute grandpa”. Adieu au langage and all the langage, non-stop heart reaction emojis. It’ll be good to watch and listen through this properly – thanks for sharing!

accatone

#1080 Post by accatone » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:23 pm

I‘am not sure if this is „old“ footage for Godardians here, but i have not seen this in its entity before:
https://cinematheque.tube/videos/watch/ ... &start=26s

Calvin

#1081 Post by Calvin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:00 am

Sight and Sound are releasing a collection of reviews and articles on Godard from past issues of S&S and Monthly Film Bulletin in the first of a new 'Auteurs Series'

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1082 Post by Drucker » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:15 am

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm looking for a Godard quote that I believe I've seen on this forum. It was a remark he made about with the advent of home video, people will stop 'watching' movies and only be collecting them. Does anyone have that quote handy? I'd like to save it somewhere as it comes across my mind all the time. Thank you!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1083 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:53 am

Drucker wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:15 am
Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm looking for a Godard quote that I believe I've seen on this forum. It was a remark he made about with the advent of home video, people will stop 'watching' movies and only be collecting them. Does anyone have that quote handy? I'd like to save it somewhere as it comes across my mind all the time. Thank you!
It’s from his segment in Wenders’ Chambre 666, though I don’t have the exact quote on hand. It’s something to the effect that he loves the VCR because now he can tape movies off TV, put them on a shelf, and never have to think about them again

knives

#1084 Post by knives » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:06 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1085 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:10 am

His segment is 10+ minutes (He keeps looking at his watch to time the film reel perfectly), so unfortunately that’s not an excerpt that contains the quote in question

knives

#1086 Post by knives » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:13 am

This is why I shouldn't be allowed to help.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1087 Post by Drucker » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:47 am

Thank you both!

Production601

#1088 Post by Production601 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:04 am

short NOTRE MUSIQUE Sarajevo making of, with JLG & Mahmoud Darwich

https://vimeo.com/441351214

accatone

#1089 Post by accatone » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:07 am

Great find, thanks!

Stefan Andersson

#1090 Post by Stefan Andersson » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:52 pm

Two articles in the new Senses of Cinema, on videos by JLG re: Sauve qui peut (la vie) and Passion:
http://sensesofcinema.com/2020/feature- ... uc-godard/
http://sensesofcinema.com/2020/feature- ... uc-godard/

therewillbeblus

#1091 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:40 pm

Making one's way through Godard's varied buried essays and shorts is a project with very inconsistent results, even for someone who considers him to be the greatest living filmmaker. However, I never expected that of all the scattered files, his two 'series' of Closed Jeans commercials (lumped with the later Metamorphojeans, which is still good but nowhere near the quality of the first two) would be the best of the bunch. These are not only the funniest commercials I've ever seen, but maybe the most tonally-distinct hysterical work Godard has ever done. It's pure satire as one would expect from the Maoist executing a service towards capitalist goods, and oh what an execution it is! The first commercial begins with blathering, frantic dialogue edited so crassly over the images that the flashing pattern effect should require epileptic warnings by law. This self-parody could not be more obvious or perverse, and just when you think it's over with twenty seconds left to go he dog-ears an uproarious assaultive fit about trousers that would be laugh-out-loud funny from the vocal-chord change alone, but the obsessive-compulsive mania he exudes surrounding the specific garment one-ups his own already-established baseline of absurdist irreverence. The second part plays out as a Pierrot le Fou-type clip of a couple on a beach in the midst of some life-threatening/life-affirming 'action' platforming clothes as the signifiers of utmost meaning ("Fashion has been fighting eternity for eternities"). This clip is even more clever in how he exaggerates the drama over a fragment of would-be narrative, and includes one of the greatest serious lines in literature from Journal d'un curé de campagne to seal the deal on the relentless vibe of contemptuous gags. This is Godard at his silliest, going for broke in ways that shouldn't surprise someone who already finds him funny, but still managed to anyways.