Criterion and UHD

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Ribs

Re: Criterion and UHD

#326 Post by Ribs » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:41 pm

The WKW films are being released in 4K in France, I believe - which could mean something, could just as easily not mean anything. I'd be amused if Chungking Express was among the first batch of UHD releases though as it was for BD!

I'd not exactly sum up Lee Kline's comments in the podcast as Zepfanman does above - he definitely sounds a lot more accepting of the format then he has in the past (he doesn't repeat the fairly erroneous idea that "you can't see the resolution bump without a big TV" that often he has in the past), and he admits that Criterion is "ready" to do releases when they deem it necessary. I'd also point out that a recurring theme of the podcast is that it's not Lee Kline's company and he doesn't make all the decisions and whether or not a release will actually be in 4K shouldn't, in principle, mean anything is different on his end as Criterion still is creating a 4K (sometimes HDR as with Soderbergh's) master or whatever for future use. That's a decision for the disc producers and the like, I would think.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#327 Post by tenia » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:24 pm

AFAIK, only In The Mood for Love is so far being re-released, first theatrically and then on video, but most likely only on BD.

I don't recall having seen any info for the other movies, and most of the early movies were released on BD some years ago by a label (ARP) that I think will never have the finances to invest in WKW UHDs. Moreover, our video market is what it is, and it'd be quite a bet to release such movies on UHD. I guess maybe In the Mood for Love could get an individual UHD release because it has the biggest potential.
Last edited by tenia on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ribs

#328 Post by Ribs » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:27 pm

It was actually the Korean release that's in 4K, not the French. Misremembered.

RitrovataBlue

#329 Post by RitrovataBlue » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:12 pm

I haven’t ordered from NovaMedia, but this Wong UHD box may well be my first, unless Criterion suddenly takes the plunge with their Wong release. Happy Together is one of my dream UHDs, with In the Mood for Love not far behind.

flyonthewall2983

#330 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:45 am

I apologize in advance if this has been asked already, but would this be at all financially feasible, if they just stopped making DVDs of new titles? Or do the DVDs sell more than the Blu-rays?

Ribs

#331 Post by Ribs » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:56 am

I believe we know at this point that BDs do sell better than DVDs for most releases, although it’s not overwhelmingly so. As it seems reasonable that a substantial fraction of those DVD sales are institutional (libraries & universities) that in many cases do not acquire Blu-rays, they’d be immediately cutting off at least those sales as well as the many people who still don’t do the whole BD thing.

I don’t think that will be the deciding factor if and when a decision has to be made, anyway. Would just be cutting off a whole chunk of sales to appeal to a whole different set of people that has basically no overlap.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#332 Post by tenia » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:16 pm

As I recall, the US institutions' habit with Criterion DVDs is enough to push its market share (for Criterion) up by 30%. What I don't recall are the splits with and without the institutions. I think it's either going from 50 to 80% or from 20 to 50%, but haven't been able to find back the notes I wrote about this (I'm quite sure Becker talked about this during a keynote last year).
In any case, they're making the DVD much harder to drop.