The Future of Home Video

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: The Future of Home Video

#626 Post by tenia » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:51 am

Absolutely, but I think The Bits' "confirmation" might be going a bit too quickly from rumor to facts (hence my remark). ;)
But they're saying they cross-referenced the info, so maybe I'm overly pessimistic (or optimistic, depending on how you look at it !).

Ribs

#627 Post by Ribs » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:01 am

He, with some frequency, tends to use the same sourcing as confirmation of things happening that initial rumors do, which gives the impression of being confirmed but is actually just repeating the same info.

It’s also significant that for several of the studios the main driver in catalog UHD releases is tying them to theatrical releases that are relevant (indeed, this is what the Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars were all tied to), so without new releases firmly on the calendar, it’s a little hard to date anything for a tie-in. Who knows that if Jungle Cruise still had come out that the Pirates movies could have been tied to it, etc.

EddieLarkin

#628 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:00 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:38 pm
Hope this stops people waiting for Criterion to board this train to nowhere
I doubt this is anything to do with the viability of the format, and instead all to do with Disney's disdain for physical media across the board, which has been evident for years (as the article says, Disney is the only studio whose home video stats are heading downward, because they release relatively fuck all already). If Bill is right, I very much expect this will apply just as much to Blu-ray as it will to UHD. So I guess now is the time to start collecting any Fox films absent from your collection, as once stock drys up they might never be available again on disc.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#629 Post by tenia » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:13 pm

Disney probably doesn't have so much some disdain for physical media than a more profitable (I guess) streaming platform to move viewers to now.

movielocke

#630 Post by movielocke » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:26 pm

A bunch of the executives from att/time warner got shit canned Friday for the pathetic hbo max numbers. Guess them making terrible and nonsensical decisions about streaming services a couple year ago indicted they weren’t going to be any good at their own streaming service.

Funny that firing all the talent you had running streaming services and shuttering all your successful streaming services somehow wasn’t indicative of being able to run a successful streaming service. Who could have Guessed?!

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... vin-reilly

EddieLarkin

#631 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:33 pm

tenia wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:13 pm
Disney probably doesn't have so much some disdain for physical media than a more profitable (I guess) streaming platform to move viewers to now.
Someone who wants to watch a Fox evergreen title like Aliens or Speed isn't going to ever find it on Disney's family friendly only streaming platform. They have many 4K HDR masters of these films ready to go (completed by Fox before the takeover), the Die Hard sequels and Patton to name a few, and it certainly seems like disdain to me to simply refuse to ever put them on disc.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#632 Post by tenia » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:41 pm

They seem to me to be replicating their Disney Vault strategy with Fox titles, ie generating an artificially increased demand by rarefying the access to some movies, only to make their access more attractive once they're made available again.

I would agree with you if it wasn't from this past model's existence and I wouldn't be surprised that their lack of availability online right now is because D+ is solely family-oriented while these movies aren't, and Disney first want to have a worldwide output solution for these movies.

Ribs

#633 Post by Ribs » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:10 pm

I think a big thing is definitely that a lot of Fox output deals are out of Disney’s hands until they expire (for new release movies, for example, they still have to go to HBO for a period, which is why they’re not actually able to dump New Mutants no matter how much they want to.) Similar agreements probably exist for chunks of the catalog titles as well, and it’ll be a few years until Disney’s actually able to just do whatever it wants with the library.

Yakushima

#634 Post by Yakushima » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:20 pm

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has opened a brand new poll asking what films you want to see for future 4K UHD releases as part of a hypothetical Columbia Classics Volume 2 Collection. Make your voice heard!

https://secure.sonypictures.com/movies/ ... lls/4k_v2/

I voted for "Punch-Drunk Love", "ANATOMY OF A MURDER", "THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN" and "BORN YESTERDAY".