Paul Schrader

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

ellipsis7

Re: Paul Schrader

#151 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:01 am

George Sanders notably set his exit age @ 65, famously leaving this suicide note...
Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck.

MichaelB

#152 Post by MichaelB » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:16 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:11 am
Has Greenaway attached a special significance to that particular age number, or just likes the mathematical preciseness of it in some way?
He firmly believes that 80 marks the point where you stop being a productive member of society and start being a drain on it. He made that decision years ago and clearly intends to go through with it. (I doubt very much my experience was unusual, and he'd already gone public so I'm not betraying any confidences.)

Anyway, we'll know on 5 April 2022, or shortly afterwards.
ellipsis7 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:01 am
George Sanders notably set his exit age @ 65, famously leaving this suicide note...
I recently edited a terrific career-spanning interview with Don Sharp (for Indicator's Fu Manchu box), who said that it was rather sad working with Sanders on Psychomania, which turned out to be his last film - Sharp didn't realise until shooting started that Sanders was pretty much stone deaf and so they had to devise various elaborate workarounds for when he reacted to things.

And Sharp used to share a car with him to and from the set, and said that he seemed incredibly depressed for someone with such a stellar past - so the suicide probably wasn't that much of a surprise (although Sharp merely acknowledges that it happened; I doubt that he thought it had anything to do with Psychomania specifically, because Sharp always struck me as the epitome of brisk efficiency, not remotely the kind of director who'd drive his actors to suicide).

whaleallright

#153 Post by whaleallright » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:47 pm

It's remarkable how closely Sanders's suicide note corresponds to his ironic, world-weary film persona. You can hear practically any of his characters reading it aloud.

hearthesilence

#154 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:09 pm

Came across Schrader's response to Film Comment's "Best of the Nineties" poll. He includes a list of twelve films, one of which is Light Sleeper. (As pointed out elsewhere, he voted for First Reformed as the decade's best film when Film Comment ran a poll last year.)