Pedro Almodóvar

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: Pedro Almodóvar

#26 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:16 pm

therewillbeblus

#27 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:25 pm

I’m surprised Pedro and Tilda have never worked together, as they seem a perfect match, though fitting for her to be cast in his first English language film, and makes me wonder if he’s doing it just to work with her.

The Curious Sofa

#28 Post by The Curious Sofa » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:54 am

I may be in a minority here, but I don't think Swinton always is the best influence on International art house directors. Once they fall for her (creatively speaking) they are in the habit of over-indulging her, which isn't in the best interest of their films. Over the last couple of decades Almodovar's best films have been more thoughtful and lowkey and his worst have been throwbacks to his early, more flamboyant style. I'm not sure Tilda Swinton chewing the scenery is what his films need right now. Swinton can be great if utilised right and she is incredible to look at but she isn't the most subtle of performers. Even in Souvenir her archness struck my slightly out of step with the naturalism of the rest of the cast, including her own daughter.

therewillbeblus

#29 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:59 am

Well I don’t think we agree on what Almodovar’s best looks like, although my two favorites are probably Pain and Glory and The Skin I Live In so split between your categories. As for Swinton, what international art house directors has she worked for outside of Luca and Bong? I didn’t feel her performances were too loud in the former’s films, nor Michael Clayton or Only Lovers Left Alive to name a couple popular ones. I think her range is far more versatile, and if Almodovar wants her for either a soft or a loud performance, I can picture her fitting into either kind of character he draws, which are often a complex mixture of moods themselves. Don’t forget her voice cameo in Uncut Gems which was so subtle you probably didn’t even recognize her

knives

#30 Post by knives » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:37 pm

Have you seen Bad Education?

therewillbeblus

#31 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:20 pm

I’d rank that right up with the other two and All About My Mother. I still have a couple early ones to see though, and to be fair any of those four could switch spots depending on the day. I also think Tie Me Up Tie Me Down! is sneakily one of his best, making one of the more troubling, too-real ideas in his filmography supremely empathetic

knives

#32 Post by knives » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:35 pm

This is where I think we may be of one mind. Spooky.

Matt

#33 Post by Matt » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:03 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:59 am
As for Swinton, what international art house directors has she worked for outside of Luca and Bong?
There's Erick Zonca's Julia, which in my personal top 5 of all-time grating, overbearing performances. She's also in Béla Tarr's The Man from London.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#34 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:08 pm

She's in Apichatpong's next as well. It's a bit obscure, but there was also Robert Lepage's Possible Worlds.

The Curious Sofa

#35 Post by The Curious Sofa » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:21 am

Last edited by The Curious Sofa on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Curious Sofa

#36 Post by The Curious Sofa » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:23 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:59 am
Well I don’t think we agree on what Almodovar’s best looks like, although my two favorites are probably Pain and Glory and The Skin I Live In so split between your categories. As for Swinton, what international art house directors has she worked for outside of Luca and Bong? I didn’t feel her performances were too loud in the former’s films, nor Michael Clayton or Only Lovers Left Alive to name a couple popular ones. I think her range is far more versatile, and if Almodovar wants her for either a soft or a loud performance, I can picture her fitting into either kind of character he draws, which are often a complex mixture of moods themselves. Don’t forget her voice cameo in Uncut Gems which was so subtle you probably didn’t even recognize her
Looks like you’ve got your wish:

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/02/pedro ... 202209989/

I won’t expect a “soft” performance in that role though. It’s all so predictable, it’s kind of funny.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#37 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:25 pm

Sony has acquired the rights to Almodovar’s latest, a 30 minute short Cocteau adaptation starring Tilda Swinton called the Human Voice. Can’t remember the last time any major studio actively sought out a short film, will be interesting to see what they do with it in terms of releasing (though it would have been even more interesting in the days of theatrical first releases... ah yes, those halcyon days of... seven months ago...)

ivuernis

#38 Post by ivuernis » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:20 pm

On the back of reading about Almodóvar's adaptation with Tilda Swinton went looking for the 1966 version with Ingrid Bergman on YouTube (it's not there but a DVD is available) but instead found a version starring Rosamund Pike from a couple of years ago.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#39 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:58 pm

There was also a version with Sophia Loren directed by her son. It shows up on TCM every now and then.
domino harvey wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:25 pm
Can’t remember the last time any major studio actively sought out a short film
Fox Searchlight (sorry, I mean "Searchlight") has been on something of a shorts acquisition spree over the past year, including this year's Oscar winner Skin, which they bought after the nominations came out. They've been branding them as "Searchlight Shorts" and making them available on Youtube, along with older shorts by big-name filmmakers who have done features with Searchlight (Lowery, McDonagh, Payne, Waititi).

swo17

#40 Post by swo17 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:05 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:58 pm
There was also a version with Sophia Loren directed by her son. It shows up on TCM every now and then.
It's also on Criterion's release of A Special Day

lzx

#41 Post by lzx » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:34 am

And don't forget the first ever cinematic adaptation, in which Roberto Rossellini directs Anna Magnani, available in BFI's War Trilogy set and also on YouTube in a crappy transfer with Spanish subtitles only

Roger Ryan

#42 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:28 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:25 pm
Sony has acquired the rights to Almodovar’s latest, a 30 minute short Cocteau adaptation starring Tilda Swinton called the Human Voice. Can’t remember the last time any major studio actively sought out a short film, will be interesting to see what they do with it in terms of releasing (though it would have been even more interesting in the days of theatrical first releases... ah yes, those halcyon days of... seven months ago...)
Since Sony is one of the investors in Katzenberg's Quibi TV streaming service, perhaps the company acquired rights to the Almodovar film to provide additional short-form content for Quibi's short-form format.