'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
JSC

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#4126 Post by JSC » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:36 am

Leonard must have been a bit over his job that day.
Ah, so it appears I'm not the only one with an old copy of the Movie Guide!
Sometimes, it is amusing to flip through it and look for unusual reviews. This
one also jumped out at me a while back.

The Cycle Savages 1969
Psychotic biker/white slaver (Bruce) Dern is displeased when artist (Chris) Robinson opens his
sketch pad, so he plans to crush the budding Rembrandt's hands. Sadism and torture galore; coproduced
by deejay Casey Kasem and record exec. Mike Curb, later the lieutenant governor of California.
I like good movies. That didn’t stop me being first in the queue for a big-screen showing of Turkish
Star Wars a couple of years ago.
I can't comment on For Singles Only (I haven't seen it) but maybe LM felt it's not one of those 'so
bad it's good' films, but one of those cringe-inducing movies that make your squirm in your seat for the
entire running time.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4127 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:52 pm

An otherwise normal review goes off the rails in its opening and closing arguments
Reviewed in the United States on January 18, 2020

My biggest problem with the impeachment hearings is how much people’s attention is being drawn away from international concerns that are much more serious. The buildup of hatred against Jews in Europe with the burning down of synagogues and in the Middle East Iranian backed rocket attacks on Israel. It reminded me of two books by Herman Wouk I had the opportunity to review for a local newspaper when they came out in the 1970s. The books The Winds of War and War and Remembrance were excellent historical novels about World War Two and the persecution of the Jewish people.

[...]

Once you see these TV Novels you will understand why the people of Israel promise “Never again!”

As Southern Baptist viewers of the TV Novels we likewise agree it must never happen again and it is something that could happen to Christians. It is happening to Christians in some parts of the world at this very moment.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4128 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:01 pm

From the top LB review for Martin Eden
Is art doomed to be what it has been historically prior to the 20th century - a marginally useless bourgeois plaything - children's toys for aristocrats?

JSC

#4129 Post by JSC » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:08 pm

Well, obviously somebody got out of bed on the wrong side that day. After seeing one movie, art is doomed, apparently.

Feego

#4130 Post by Feego » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:19 pm

Letterboxd reviewer wrote: I have never wanted to quit the Criterion Collection until now.
At least Brakhage was something different.
Spending 3 nights this week watching terrible French films about hetero cis rich white people is not how I want to spend my time.
Who gives a shit about these people?
I don't think the film in question is any great shakes myself, but this rant seems a tad extreme for...
SpoilerShow
Elena and Her Men

Big Ben

#4131 Post by Big Ben » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:13 pm

Feego found a pretty gnarly reviewer:
TV Version.
I never want to hear a Swede speak again.
I used to think Bergman was one of the greats. But the more I watch from him the more bored I get with his shtick.
Last edited by Big Ben on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4132 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:36 pm

I just went through a lot of their reviews and they aren’t even bad in a way that tells you someone is just an idiot— they’re just broadly bad takes and non-existent insights that reveal something far less interesting: they’re boring and have bad taste

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#4133 Post by soundchaser » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:42 pm

Their primary focus seems to be on whether or not a character is “real,” so God help them if they ever review a Tashlin movie.

Gregory

#4134 Post by Gregory » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:31 am

Any review that begins like this one, from eBay of a set of PG-rated films:
Came very fast and love love all the movies and packaging will be buying again soon

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4135 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:07 pm

Top review on Letterboxd for My Forbidden Past, which contains perhaps the most innocuous depiction of black servants ever committed to film
The depiction of black Americans in this picture is so painful I think it is irresponsible to have it readily available on streaming platforms without some contextual wrapping.

Without that context watching and reviewing this becomes a test of how much you can tolerate race hatred in order to enjoy being entertained by charismatic sexy white people celebrating their own high morals.
Imagine being this sheltered and self-righteous. There are Hollywood films from this era that you could perhaps make this argument for, but talk about the wrong target, unless the objection is to black people having steady employment working for white people (and the black chauffeur even gets a raise when Ava Gardner inherits some money-- SO OFFENSIVE!!!!). I have no idea what context they think this film needs, but perhaps they should examine their own racism based on how they viewed these incidental characters

EDIT Actually, their description of the white people in the movie isn’t accurate either! They’re all awful and that’s what makes it fun— certainly they don’t have and the film doesn’t celebrate anyone’s “high morals,” unless this viewer somehow took the class snobbery criticisms as endorsements, which, yeah, actually, of course they did!

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#4136 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:31 pm

Top Letterboxd review for Bone Tomahawk, in which the reviewer rails for almost 4000 words against the supposed unapologetic endorsement of fascism as depicted in, among other things, the Zahler, 24, Zero Dark Thirty, Death Wish 3, all of Cannon Films' output in general, and the Norwegian dark ambient music project Burzum. This is somehow interlinked with the reviewer's justification for giving Triumph of the Will 5 stars on Letterboxd and an extended philosophical critique of fascist architectural aesthetics:
PPPPS: If much of what we have left of past fascist regimes is crumbling architecture, in the case of our current fascist era, we have the architecture FIRST (Trump Tower), then buildingless architecture in the form of branding (Trump Towers being nothing more than a logo), then the reality television show with the imaginary boardroom, then the regime, then Imaginary Fascist Architecture (a Concrete Wall 2000 Miles Long On The Southern Border, Gleaming Steel Slats, Etc) as a driver of the regime. Fascist Aesthetics always tends towards the concrete, the singular, the monumental, so architecture, something 'real' or tangible to ground the abstractions of the rhetorical architecture of the regime. the whole trip of fascist aesthetics is mythos-made-flesh so in Death Wish 3 or whatever the world which is imagined is realized and the force of that realization is its triumph even as it is absurdly apocalyptic. fascist aesthetics is linear and it always tells the same story: crisis building into an apocalyptic confrontation or collapse whereupon the world will be made anew. until that time, holding down the world-as-it-is-imagined-to-be at some cut-off point for history (Pre-Civil War, Pre-New-Deal) until the culmination of that imagined ideal order can be achieved

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#4137 Post by soundchaser » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:00 pm

Quite clear this person hasn’t actually been to any post-fascist countries, because one look at former West Germany will tell you that their architecture is actually fine.

bottled spider

#4138 Post by bottled spider » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:00 am

Well, to be fair, I think the author of those reviews suffers from mental health problems. I mean I think he alludes to them in some of his reviews, if I remember correctly from coming across some of his posts for the horror list project.

Mr Sausage

#4139 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:26 am

Well, the guy behind Burzum is a white supremacist (and convicted murderer).

colinr0380

#4140 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:11 pm

If nothing else that comment sent me off to Jonathan Meades, so I suppose it was worthwhile!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#4141 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:47 pm

hayden thomas
1.0 out of 5 stars we are tired of being lectured
Reviewed in the United States on February 22, 2020
Verified Purchase

So the content is 5 stars because tex avery is a comedic genius, but this disc gets a low score because theres a warning message after u insert the disc that cannot be skipped and lasts a long time, telling you about how racist/sexist these cartoons are and that they are not appropriate, well no s sherlock, did they think we didnt know what we were buying? We are sick of being lectured about how bad a dvd is, that WE PAYED WITH OUR OWN MONEY, warner media didnt give it to us for free, and whats funny is they put out movies with the worst violence, people getting killed/blown up, do those dvds get a warning? Nope, i guess warner media thinks its perfectly fine to depict people getting killed, but if a cartoon dares to make a heterosexual joke or makes some social commentary, oh no that’s unacceptable and deserves a full screen warning thats meant to shame the viewer. We bought this dvd to be entertained and not to be shamed. When the warner executives buy their ferraris there should be a huge sign in their dashboard saying how bad they are for not giving their money to charity instead lol

299 people found this helpful

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#4142 Post by soundchaser » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:53 pm

I'm gonna start referring to the terrible puns I make with friends as "heterosexual jokes."

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#4143 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Yours truly did a high school radio shift (that was eventually cancelled due to a call-in from one of our science teachers stating that it "sounded like Howard Stern" (thanks!)). We had one kid who was just utterly clueless but hung around the station on as a guest to declare some of his terrible opinions about life in general - and he kept saying "gay," (this was 2003) to which we balked and asked him to clean up his language on the air. He huffed and said "OK, fine, sexually challenged."

I think about that a lot.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4144 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 pm

I was recently rewatching the I Love the 80s specials from VH1 that first aired not that long ago and oof, I bet half the people who appeared on that show are praying no influential Twitter user with an axe to grind digs those up, because there are some remarkably outre un-PC jokes made quite glibly from people who I suspect know better now. Really eye-opening how far we've all come in such a short time, though

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#4145 Post by Brian C » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:26 pm

When the warner executives buy their ferraris there should be a huge sign in their dashboard saying how bad they are for not giving their money to charity instead lol
I mean, not ALL of this guy’s ideas are terrible.

dustybooks

#4146 Post by dustybooks » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:01 am

What’s funny is, Warner’s handling of offensive content in their cartoon compilations is vastly less intrusive than Leonard Maltin appearing every five seconds on the Walt Disney Treasures sets talking about “guns and gunplay.” (Then again, Disney released all of their theatrical shorts in the DVD era whereas I suspect Warner will never go that far.)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4147 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:40 am

I wonder who are the most "fragile" : those who are thought to require a 10 sec text disclaimer or those who are shocked by the 10 sec disclaimer.

tojoed

#4148 Post by tojoed » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:52 pm

This is from a review on Amazon of a biography of Oliver Cromwell:
Absolutely rubbish grammecal errors every where no sense throughout very disappointed.

Lemmy Caution

#4149 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:56 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 pm
I was recently rewatching the I Love the 80s specials from VH1 that first aired not that long ago and oof, I bet half the people who appeared on that show are praying no influential Twitter user with an axe to grind digs those up, because there are some remarkably outre un-PC jokes made quite glibly from people who I suspect know better now. Really eye-opening how far we've all come in such a short time, though
Oh yeah. A few weeks ago I was watching on youTube some Red Fox hosted comedy revue from I think 1984. And man the homophobic jokes and mockery of gays was just off the charts.

furbicide

#4150 Post by furbicide » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:13 am

Parents Guide never fails to deliver:
There is a shot of gratuitous female nudity as a woman appears topless sunbathing.

Same woman has sex with two men, they all sit down after sex, breasts are needlessly visible. It must be noted that while two men are having sex with one woman, there is no male nudity yet filmmakers thought it necessary to show female nudity.

A woman wears a see thru top throughout the whole movie, breasts are obscenely visible in most scenes, which is totally unnecessary.

While there is opportunity for male nudity, none is present and female viewers are disappointed yet again.
One can only hope that this contributor – who we can surmise is not an ardent proponent of #freethenipple – never chances upon the film this was supposedly based on ...