Takeshi Kitano

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

Message
Author
User avatar
zedz
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:24 pm

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#76 Post by zedz » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:59 pm

In actual Takeshi Kitano sequel news, I'll be seeing Outrage Beyond tonight!

User avatar
Forrest Taft
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#77 Post by Forrest Taft » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Did anyone ever see Kids Return: The Reunion, and can anyone tell if this Japanese BD of it has English subs? (I'll settle for Norwegian subs too, but that is less likely :wink: )

User avatar
manicsounds
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:58 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#78 Post by manicsounds » Thu May 14, 2015 9:34 pm

RobertAltman wrote:Did anyone ever see Kids Return: The Reunion, and can anyone tell if this Japanese BD of it has English subs? (I'll settle for Norwegian subs too, but that is less likely :wink: )
To answer an old question first, the specs and coverart list English subtitles.

I watched Kitano's latest film Ryuzo and His Seven Henchmen, which I found to be laugh out loud hilarious, probably Kitano's funniest movie, although it may be his most conventional in terms of comedy. There are lots of fart jokes and dick jokes sprinkled throughout and with the main cast having a median age of 75 or so, a lot of geriatric humor as well.

The IMDB score is on the extreme low side, but audiences in Japan have been more pleasing, and critics too.
Mark Schilling of Japan Times gave it 3.5 stars out of 5.
Was also quite surprised that the audience I saw it with was extremely diverse. Young teens were laughing their heads off, and elderly people were as well. Definitely recommended.

User avatar
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: New England
Contact:

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#79 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri May 15, 2015 10:36 am

Where did you see the new Kitano? I suppose this won't get picked up for US distribution....

User avatar
manicsounds
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:58 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#80 Post by manicsounds » Fri May 15, 2015 7:55 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Where did you see the new Kitano? I suppose this won't get picked up for US distribution....
The movie theater about 5 minutes from my place.

User avatar
Forrest Taft
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#81 Post by Forrest Taft » Sat May 16, 2015 9:51 am

manicsounds wrote:
RobertAltman wrote:Did anyone ever see Kids Return: The Reunion, and can anyone tell if this Japanese BD of it has English subs? (I'll settle for Norwegian subs too, but that is less likely :wink: )
To answer an old question first, the specs and coverart list English subtitles.

I watched Kitano's latest film Ryuzo and His Seven Henchmen, which I found to be laugh out loud hilarious, probably Kitano's funniest movie, although it may be his most conventional in terms of comedy. There are lots of fart jokes and dick jokes sprinkled throughout and with the main cast having a median age of 75 or so, a lot of geriatric humor as well.

The IMDB score is on the extreme low side, but audiences in Japan have been more pleasing, and critics too.
Mark Schilling of Japan Times gave it 3.5 stars out of 5.
Was also quite surprised that the audience I saw it with was extremely diverse. Young teens were laughing their heads off, and elderly people were as well. Definitely recommended.
I'll probably pick it up at one point to satisfy my curiosity then. Hadn't heard about Ryuzo and His Seven Henchmen before I read your post, but now I'm very much looking forward to it.

User avatar
Forrest Taft
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Stavanger, Norway

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#82 Post by Forrest Taft » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:35 pm

Trailer for Outrage Coda.

yoshimori
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:03 am
Location: LA CA

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#83 Post by yoshimori » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:43 pm

For those who simply must spend more on Kitano BRs than Third Window is willing to charge, CDJapan is listing 9/27/17 release dates for 13 English-subbed Kitano films: Violent Cop, Boiling Point, Scene at the Sea, Sonatine, Getting Any?, Hana-bi, Kikujiro, Brother, Dolls, Zatoichi, Takeshis', Kantoku banzai!, and Achilles and the Tortoise.

Most relevant here is Sonatine, which Third Window hasn't put out (yet).

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#84 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:49 pm

I count a lot more than just one of those that Third Window hasn't released yet.

cowboydan
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:27 pm

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#85 Post by cowboydan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:13 pm

A biopic about Kitano's life during his early comedy career is in the works at Netflix. Yuya Yagira of "Nobody Knows" fame will be portraying Kitano.
https://asianmoviepulse.com/2020/11/tak ... t-netflix/

User avatar
whaleallright
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:56 am

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#86 Post by whaleallright » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:36 pm

I feel like I'd read about this being in the works years ago. Netflix has a big enough footprint in Japan that they are financing original content primarily for that market?

cowboydan
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:27 pm

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#87 Post by cowboydan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:39 pm

whaleallright wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:36 pm
I feel like I'd read about this being in the works years ago. Netflix has a big enough footprint in Japan that they are financing original content primarily for that market?
You prrobably did. The writer said he'd been working onthe sreenplay for several years but now it's done and production is moving forward.

Yes. They're producing original content for lots of different countries and their diaspora, including Japan, Korea, India, and Mexico. Netflix has produced several seasons of Terrace House (a popular Japanese reality TV show).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor ... rogramming

User avatar
whaleallright
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:56 am

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#88 Post by whaleallright » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:51 am

I think I was confusing that film with this Asakusa Kid, former critic Makoto Shinozaki's feature film based on Kitano's memoir of his childhood.

User avatar
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: New England
Contact:

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#89 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:47 pm

Did you ever get to see the Shinozaki film (I never did). :-(

User avatar
whaleallright
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:56 am

Re: Takeshi Kitano

#90 Post by whaleallright » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:37 am

No, I haven't! I didn't read terribly good things about it, and sort of forgot about it (evidently!).

Post Reply