#2227 Post by Pavel » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:14 pm

1996?

therewillbeblus

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

#2228 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:49 pm

Pavel wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:14 pm
1996?
Yeah he had only a few shorts to his name in '96. Which begs the question- what 1996 film is Criterion releasing that they accidentally repeated the dates with?

Pavel

#2229 Post by Pavel » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:52 pm

Irma Vep?

therewillbeblus

#2230 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:53 pm

Yes, it's up along with the rest -MoM is corrected to 2003 too

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#2231 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:03 pm

Image Image Image Image Image

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#2232 Post by soundchaser » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:05 pm

Irma Vep is cool, although I'm not sure I prefer it to the Arrow cover. History is Made at Night is a little goofy overall, but the pearls hanging off the Wacky C is great.

Pavel

#2233 Post by Pavel » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:06 pm

I can't believe they decided to change the Pierrot le fou cover but thought the Masculin Féminin one was good enough

senseabove

#2234 Post by senseabove » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:06 pm

Oh man I adore that Irma Vep cover...

movielocke

#2235 Post by movielocke » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:07 pm

I think Irma Vep (1996) and Memories of Murder were getting their wires crossed, 1996 on MoM cover and Irma Vep shows 2 blurays (like MoM), which seems unlikely for a 99 minute film. even with all those extras.

Surprised with more OOP SC Godard waiting on deck, they upgraded one of their in print Godard's instead.

bottlesofsmoke

#2236 Post by bottlesofsmoke » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:10 pm

I like all of these, except Charles Boyer looks way more like Victor Mature to me.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#2237 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:14 pm

Great cover for Memories of Murder. Not a fan of that Irma Vep one tho. Why not stick with the original poster? Or they should have got someone like Sister Hyde if you want that approach done right.

therewillbeblus

#2238 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:18 pm

Irma Vep is great, Memories of Murder is inspired, History is Made at Night is a bit ridiculous but I kinda like it because anything that could be critiqued is intentionally put there with keen self-awareness, and I don't know how anyone can hate on Masculin Femenin's cover because Chantal Goya

Shrew
The Untamed One

#2239 Post by Shrew » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:40 pm

Pavel wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:06 pm
I can't believe they decided to change the Pierrot le fou cover but thought the Masculin Féminin one was good enough
To differentiate the reissued bluray with a new transfer from the old bluray. But the Masculin Feminin cover is indeed good enough.

Pavel

#2240 Post by Pavel » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:26 pm

Shrew wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:40 pm
Pavel wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:06 pm
To differentiate the reissued bluray with a new transfer from the old bluray. But the Masculin Feminin cover is indeed good enough.
Didn't think of that about Pierrot. But I don't like the Masculin Féminin one at all, it just looks dull and done with no effort to me, the most boring cover imaginable. And the font... [-X

Pavel

#2241 Post by Pavel » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:05 pm

Oh, the Irma Vep cover reminds me of a Guy Maddin movie (it's great!)

Shrew
The Untamed One

#2242 Post by Shrew » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:43 pm

I think the Masculin Feminin font and cover invokes a 60s magazine cover, which is pretty good shorthand for the movie's pop culture-obsessed youths and sex-as-commodity themes.

therewillbeblus

#2243 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:38 pm

Shrew wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:43 pm
I think the Masculin Feminin font and cover invokes a 60s magazine cover, which is pretty good shorthand for the movie's pop culture-obsessed youths and sex-as-commodity themes.
Could've been this

Rupert Pupkin

#2244 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:31 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:38 pm
Shrew wrote:
Could've been this
Is still own the DVD I excepted for years a blu-ray upgrade since it's one of my favorite J-L Godard movie (I was hoping for "Deux ou trois choses que je sais d'elle" too).
There is the unforgettable interview of "Mademoiselle âge tendre" (a kind of girlish magazine) in the movie; thus inside the booklet there is a vintage replica of this magazine and the DVD itself as some vinyl replica layer. Which looks great.

Rupert Pupkin

#2245 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:53 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:38 pm
Shrew wrote:
Could've been this
your front cover could have been great for the movie.
there has been a lot of magazine like that in the 60's and it continues until the mid-80's in France. Today too, but it's more "subrepticement".
"Miss âge tendre" who appears in Masculin Féminin was a real "girl of the month" (don't expect something like Playboy) from the tone of her voice, you can tell than she is a bourgeoise and could have acted in a Rohmer movie (and she would certainly have been good (let's see- in the Genou de Claire for instance (Claire character).
I think that JL Godard was murmuring to Jean-Pierre Léaud character the questions about war, etc... and I don't think that her replies shows that she is totally empty and dumb. It was a kind of "trap" in the mise en scène.
In retrospective this is one of the loveliest and funniest moment of the movie.
I still remember the torpeur and state of shock of the scene in the commissariat with Chantal Goya (who is fantastic in this movie). It's as striking - even more - than Tavernier's end in "L'appât" for instance.
And Jean-Pierre Léaud character is like an Eustache or Bressionian character (Bresson would do later "Quatre Nuits d'un rêveur") - and recently there is this beautiful movie by "Mes Provinciales" by Jean Paul Civeyrac shot in beautiful black & white (and release on blu-ray by Kino (nothing in France!) with the shadow of Bresson and Eustache.
Léaud is romantic character in the strong sense; he is in the wrong era. The energy he puts in the movie theatre because the film is not projected in the proper ratio may be one of the funniest scene but it's a tragic character in the strong way.
I think that Truffaut said that he did not recognize J.Léaud in this movie because it was sad. But it's a sad movie about being young and grow up in the 60's.
I have never saw a movie showing how it's to grow up today, with the subtlety of JL Godard. I miss these movies.

Luke M

#2246 Post by Luke M » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:39 am

Masculin Feminin cover brings back memories of checking out Criterions at Borders and reading their insert checklist of titles. One of their early bizarre covers that has survived to 2021. Quite remarkable.

Rupert Pupkin

#2247 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:39 am

Luke M wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:39 am
Masculin Feminin cover brings back memories of checking out Criterions at Borders and reading their insert checklist of titles. One of their early bizarre covers that has survived to 2021. Quite remarkable.
yes those were the days.
is there a logical rule for keeping the original DVD artwork ?
for instance "Pierrot Le fou" : it's a different restoration and not a blu-ray reissue, thus a different cover (I tend to prefer the first one).
but "Naked" Mike Leigh upgraded on blu-ray was the worst change for the blu-ray upgrade : the dark cover of the DVD release was so good. Too bad it's one of my favorite movie.

barbarella satyricon

#2248 Post by barbarella satyricon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:44 am

Well, I was going to be implacable about any Irma Vep cover that wasn’t a total knockout, and this one is most decidedly not that. The monochrome scheme badly needs a bit of well-placed color, like the red or the hot pink of other posters, packaging, and promotional materials for this film that have come before. And the film strip motif for a film about filmmaking feels just really obvious, “yearbookish” more than anything. It looks alright, but alright like any interesting idea or attempt that’s abandoned along the way.

Yaanu

#2249 Post by Yaanu » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:22 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:39 am
Luke M wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:39 am
yes those were the days.
is there a logical rule for keeping the original DVD artwork ?
for instance "Pierrot Le fou" : it's a different restoration and not a blu-ray reissue, thus a different cover (I tend to prefer the first one).
but "Naked" Mike Leigh upgraded on blu-ray was the worst change for the blu-ray upgrade : the dark cover of the DVD release was so good. Too bad it's one of my favorite movie.
Historically, the artwork usually changes when the upgraded Blu-ray release is significant enough from the original DVD release that a re-release of the DVD is justified. For example, if entirely new bonus features are added, or if a completely new and/or more recent restoration of the film is used for the release. In those cases the DVD would receive new artwork aligning itself with the new BD. Otherwise, the BD would exist with the Wacky C branding but the original DVD would remain in print.

Ashirg

#2250 Post by Ashirg » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:54 am

There are a few exceptions to the rule, like My Life As a Dog upgrade.