Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
Feego

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3201 Post by Feego » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:04 am

I'm a bigger fan of Mae West than most (or pretty much anyone) around here, though I will admit her films are not good and that her one-note persona is not enough to carry a picture. For that reason, if you have to see one West film, I recommend her very first, Night After Night. I wrote it up here for the Pre-Code list, as well as She Done Him Wrong and I'm No Angel. Night After Night benefits from casting West in a supporting role so that you get everything you get in one of her vehicles but in a more succinct and, for some, tolerable dose. It's no masterpiece, but I found it a fun pre-coder with colorful characters and atmosphere.

Aunt Peg

#3202 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:01 am

My favourite Mae West line is "No such thing as a good girl gone bad.....only bad girls found out."

ianthemovie

#3203 Post by ianthemovie » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:20 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:27 pm
Surprised they wouldn't do these in multi-volume boxsets. I've only seen She Done Him Wrong which was awful enough that I never bothered to track down any more Mae West films. Are any of the others recommended? I do have the last film in a WC Fields boxset that I just haven't gotten to yet.
I seem to recall My Little Chickadee being somewhat amusing as a parody of Stagecoach (it even has Donald Meek). It's helped immensely by the creative input of Fields. If I recall correctly it's predicated on the joke that West is all too willing to be ravished by the masked man who everyone else in the film sees as a rapist and the robber of her "virtue."

Her appearance in Myra Breckinridge--in which she performs a rap number called "You Gotta Taste All the Fruits" right before Raquel Welch pegs Roger Herren with a strap-on--is so bad it's not even so-bad-it's good.

dwk

#3204 Post by dwk » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:34 pm

Kino announced that they are releasing The Widow Couderc from a new 4K restoration.

knives

#3205 Post by knives » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:13 am

Going back to our Mae West discussion, I snapped on Klondike Annie this morning and not only is it the best West film I’ve seen, not much of a distinction, but a genuinely good film with a violent edge and harshness befitting director Walsh’s reputation. West’s hands are all over this, but it’s not really a comedy so much a von Sternberg like drama of femme fatale ripping apart the illusion of machismo with some snappy lines thrown in. It’s a mature and intelligent script by West that breaks down ideas of liberalism with a moralizing force on it. She starts off as a Rousseau and through a Calvin is able to become a sort of Malcolm X.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#3206 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:36 pm

Ongoing and very enlightening audio commentary discussion moved here

captveg

#3207 Post by captveg » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:16 pm

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

Cotton Comes to Harlem (1970) (DVD) (BD is also OOP)

EDIT: They must have tracked down some copies because as of 3/2/21 the DVD version is back on the website.
Last edited by captveg on Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

captveg

#3208 Post by captveg » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:07 pm

More OOP based on previously being in the "While Supplies Last" sale and now no longer appearing on the website:

Flesh + Blood (1985) (DVD) (BD is also OOP)
Solarbabies (1986) (DVD) (BD is also OOP)

Glowingwabbit

#3209 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:13 pm

Big announcement of an underseen Lubitsch!!! Also known as The Man I Killed.
Coming Soon!
Brand New 2K Master!

Broken Lullaby (1932) Starring Lionel Barrymore, Nancy Carroll & Zazu Pitts – Shot by Victor Milner (Cleopatra) – Screenplay by Samson Raphaelson (Suspicion) and Ernest Vajda (The Merry Widow) – Directed by Ernst Lubitsch (To Be or Not to Be).
Last edited by Glowingwabbit on Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#3210 Post by soundchaser » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:14 pm

I thought this one was just ok when I marathoned Lubitsch's sound films last year, but maybe I'll get something more out of it on a second go. It's quite tonally different from anything else he ever did, I think.

Glowingwabbit

#3211 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:17 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:14 pm
I thought this one was just ok when I marathoned Lubitsch's sound films last year, but maybe I'll get something more out of it on a second go. It's quite tonally different from anything else he ever did, I think.
Definitely strikes a different tone. Probably best watched on It's own. It's also just a title I never thought would get a restoration and blu ray release.

I should add that my second viewing of the film gave me greater appreciation of it.

Gregory

#3212 Post by Gregory » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:38 pm

Kino Lorber wrote:Starring Lionel Barrymore, Nancy Carroll & Zazu Pitts
ZaSu Pitts, from Eliza Susan, and it's misleading to claim she had a starring role in this.

swo17

#3213 Post by swo17 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:26 pm

Glad they're rescuing this from MOD purgatory

knives

#3214 Post by knives » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:32 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:14 pm
Alternatively, I think it is one of his best and easily his best drama.

FrauBlucher

#3215 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:55 pm

They announced Milos forman's Man on the Moon for release over the summer

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3216 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:59 pm

I’m shocked that one wasn’t already out on Blu

captveg

#3217 Post by captveg » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:02 pm

Figures in a Landscape (1970) (DVD still available)
Slam Dance (1987) (DVD still available)

JSC

#3218 Post by JSC » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:21 pm

Moshé Mizrahi's Madame Rosa and Jacques Doillon's Ponette have just gone up as pre-orders for May.

FrauBlucher

#3219 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:20 am

JSC wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:21 pm
Moshé Mizrahi's Madame Rosa and Jacques Doillon's Ponette have just gone up as pre-orders for May.
This should probably go in the Kino thread

JSC

#3220 Post by JSC » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:17 am

Thanks, should've caught that. I just put it in the Kino thread.

captveg

#3221 Post by captveg » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:29 pm

Diggstown (1992) (DVD still available)

Gerald Christie

#3223 Post by Gerald Christie » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:42 am

I already have the excellent Arrow bluray but this is definitely disappointing for the Region A community. Let's just wait and see what Kino will end up doing. Maybe they will surprise us... Ha! I doubt it, but you never know.
I think it just goes to show you the nature of Kino. I find it quite telling that despite all the years they have been doing this and all the titles they have released as a label they still aren't as recognized and don't amount to much. I won't deny that they haven't done a lot, in terms of all the restorations they have commissioned (which other labels have used) and bringing out titles that normally wouldn't have seen the light of day (tv films like Trilogy of Terror come to mind). That being said, if a certain title is released by Kino and another label at the same time, I will always prefer or go to the other label and that says a lot. I just can't put my finger on it, but I kind of feel that they are lacking in a way and this newest development certainly doesn't help.

EddieLarkin

#3224 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:45 am

I guess they're really skimping on QC? Surely the most basic check any label should be doing when releasing a disc that has earlier editions is to compare them, or at least compare to screengrabs if discs cannot be sourced. The quickest way to ensure complaints and demands for an expensive replacement programme, is to release a Blu-ray with a major technically failing and then send it to DVDBeaver to show everyone! It really baffles me how not a single person in the company ran a quick check, especially when they surely knew two different masters were out there.

Same thing happened to Indicator with the Sinbad film, though in that instance there was only the one master previously released and so they had no reason to think they wouldn't receive that superior one. But something tells me there's almost no chance they'll let it happen again.

andyli

#3225 Post by andyli » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:49 am

To be fair this sort of thing does happen. MoC failed to deliver the promised 4K transfer of Five Graves to Cairo, and in that instance it was Kino who kept their end of the bargain.