Imprint

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
therewillbeblus

Re: Imprint

#251 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:58 am

swo17 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:59 am
Re: the Lewis set, I won't miss Don't Raise the Bridge, Lower the River but where's Three on a Couch? Also, just like Chabrol, the bulk of his best work remains elusive on Blu-ray.
Three on a Couch is a glaring omission- a painfully funny look at psychotherapy and also teetering towards a tone that will puzzle some Lewis fans, depending on whether or not they think he's playing any of the drama straight. I haven't seen Hook, Line & Sinker, but The Big Mouth was forgettable (in that I remember nothing about it despite having watched it less than five months ago)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#252 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:09 pm

I haven't seen any of these since I wrote them up here almost nine years ago, but here were my brief reviews at the time:
swo17 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:26 pm
Three on a Couch may also be ever so slightly misogynistic, but fares much better (than Boeing Boeing). The film takes a tad too long to set up its somewhat obvious premise (husband of psychiatrist must find love for three of wife's patients so that she can go away with him to Europe) but takes an inspired turn when Lewis' character decides to unnecessarily complicate matters by playing every single role in his hairbrained scheme himself. The Big Mouth has its moments but you can start to sense that Lewis is running on fumes at this point (e.g. needing to come up with a disguise, he simply reprises his Julius Kelp character from The Nutty Professor). Also, for some reason, the actual Colonel Sanders is in this movie. The greatest flaw of Don't Raise the Bridge, Lower the River is that it forgets that it stars Jerry Lewis, and tries to mine laughs instead from its ridiculous, twisty plot, leaving Lewis with little to do besides get all the ethnic accents out of his system. There is a nice moment though where Lewis is playing chess with himself. True to its name, Hook, Line and Sinker starts off fairly strong as a sitcom-style depiction of life for a suburban husband and father, veers into questionable male wish fulfillment territory, and then cleverly turns this around as a commentary on the naivety of Lewis' man-child character. Not necessarily essential, but a standout among the later films, and a nice note to end the decade on.

yoloswegmaster

#253 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:13 pm

Is there a reason why we have never seen proper Blu releases for 'The Bellboy' or 'The Ladies Man'?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#254 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:29 pm

All those key 1960-1965 works are with Paramount, and the most recent thing they did was repackage their old DVD set

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#255 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:49 am

BLACKANDCYBER20 gets you 20% off through Monday (Australia time) on everything at Via Vision's site, including Imprint titles, non-Imprint titles, and pre-orders. Everything. I believe this is the first time Imprint titles have been made available direct at a discount, and I wouldn't be surprised if this sale causes some of them to sell out. A few lesser-known titles I'd recommend:

Rage
A Reflection of Fear
The Assassination Bureau

Ribs

#256 Post by Ribs » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:30 pm

Wouldn’t say its great prices but its definitely two or three dollars cheaper per title then the best from elsewhere. I’ve got a gut feeling the Harry Palmer set is not long for this world so I wanted to grab it and nabbed a few other things. It seems like based on what I’ve heard its a bit of a wait to get to the US from them direct so I guess I’ll just forget about it and hope they show up not too far into the new year.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#257 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:52 pm

Standard discount is 12.5% off RRP for most individual titles and 25% off RRP for bundles, so this code makes those more like 30% off and 40% off, respectively. I agree they're not screaming great deals compared to Criterion or Indicator during a flash sale, but I believe this is the cheapest their catalogue has ever been. It also helps that international shipping maxes out at $50 AUD (which it doesn't take long to hit) no matter how large your order. Note that they've also confirmed in the past that if you include any upcoming releases in your order (such as the recent announcements for February) they'll wait to ship them all together, but if something like the Harry Palmer or Zhang Yimou sets sell out before then, your order now secures you a copy

Ovader

#258 Post by Ovader » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:42 pm

I checked out Via Vision's discount for six selections and then I tried JB Hi-Fi's for the same six selections and the latter has a better deal without having to type in a code.

Ribs

#259 Post by Ribs » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:52 pm

Yeah, I just meant that in general I think you can more or less get Imprint titles for around $28 in the US at any point by using Deep Discount or Blowitoutahere whereas all told this is bringing it down to $25 or so for a normal title. Which is still less and as I said I did bite! But it’s not like the UK labels going on sale where things dip a lot compared to normal.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#260 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:56 pm

Ovader wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:42 pm
I checked out Via Vision's discount for six selections and then I tried JB Hi-Fi's for the same six selections and the latter has a better deal without having to type in a code.
Hmmm...I see that a lot of individual titles are listed for just $20.99 (no pre-orders though) but they seem to charge at least $8.50 per title for shipping, so if you place a large order from Via Vision, that might still be the better deal. That being said, it looks like JB Hi-Fi still has several titles that are sold out from Via Vision, so I'd jump on any of those that you want