Quentin Tarantino

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
hearthesilence

Re: Quentin Tarantino

#501 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:12 am

FWIW, USA Today got a statement from Tarantino's mother:

"Regarding my son Quentin – I support him, I'm proud of him and love him and his growing new family," she said. "It gave me great joy to dance at his wedding and receive his news upon the birth of my Grandson Leo."

Zastoupil added that it's easy for podcast comments to "spin and go viral without full context" and that she does "not wish to participate in this salacious transactional media frenzy."

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#502 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:25 pm

Tarantino's latest television acting role is drawing (justifiably) negative reactions from social media

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#503 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:32 pm

Do I want to know what "the Uber show" means?

PfR73

#504 Post by PfR73 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:39 pm

It's the series "Super Pumped: The Battle For Uber" on Showtime starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Uma Thurman, and Kyle Chandler. I have a Showtime trial and was planning to watch it since I'm a JGL fan but haven't gotten to it yet. Didn't know Tarantino was the narrator.

aox

#505 Post by aox » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:50 pm

What am I supposed to be outraged about?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#506 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:57 pm

I think he just sucks in this role, according to the Twitter people. Nothing offensive.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#507 Post by cdnchris » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:59 pm

That he's a shit actor? That isn't new if that's the case

aox

#508 Post by aox » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:02 pm

*puts down pitchfork

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#509 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:05 pm

Yeah I only meant that those clips were atrocious on an artistic level, though I definitely blame whoever wrote the sub-McKay narratorial interjections much more than Tarantino. Like, it isn't his fault that he can't read the line "What do you do when you get kicked in the balls by a hob-nailed boot. Roll around and groan? Well, the motherfuckers who run startups, this motherfucker, eats it with a smile, and keeps on goin'!" particularly well.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#510 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:24 pm

One day Ryan Murphy will be held accountable for his sins

therewillbeblus

#511 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:29 pm

I feel like that backlash is ignoring important context. Tarantino's participation in narrating at least these bolded word cues is intentionally cheesy exaggeration and totally in step with his own exploitation-genre infatuation, of which at least this 10-second example feels entirely influenced by. Critiquing bad acting/voiceover seems to be missing that joke, whether you find it funny or not

Roger Ryan

#512 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:44 pm

I thought I'd make time to watch the show since it seemed to be in the mode of The Wolf of Wall Street with Joseph Gordon-Levitt filling in the Leonardo DiCaprio part and Kyle Chandler filling in the... Kyle Chandler part, but after seeing those clips, I'm thinking I've got plenty of other things to watch. Which is to say, no, I don't find it funny.

beamish14

#513 Post by beamish14 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:01 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:24 pm
One day Ryan Murphy will be held accountable for his sins

We can only hope so. Running with Scissors is probably the most truly holyfuckingshit Hollywood studio film of the 2000’s

I

Ovader

Re: Quentin Taranti+no

#514 Post by Ovader » Sat May 28, 2022 7:08 pm

Cinema Speculation.
The long-awaited first work of nonfiction from the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: a deliriously entertaining, wickedly intelligent cinema book as unique and creative as anything by Quentin Tarantino.

In addition to being among the most celebrated of contemporary filmmakers, Quentin Tarantino is possibly the most joyously infectious movie lover alive. For years he has touted in interviews his eventual turn to writing books about films. Now, with Cinema Speculation, the time has come, and the results are everything his passionate fans—and all movie lovers—could have hoped for. Organized around key American films from the 1970s, all of which he first saw as a young moviegoer at the time, this book is as intellectually rigorous and insightful as it is rollicking and entertaining. At once film criticism, film theory, a feat of reporting, and wonderful personal history, it is all written in the singular voice recognizable immediately as QT’s and with the rare perspective about cinema possible only from one of the greatest practitioners of the artform ever.

beamish14

#515 Post by beamish14 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:12 pm

Tarantino has buried the hatchet with Roger Avary, as they’ve teamed up for a podcast

It’s amazing, but Tarantino has never once shown a single Avary-directed film since buying the New Beverly

therewillbeblus

#516 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:27 pm

I have to imagine that if they were on good terms, he would've at the very least screened Killing Zoe

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#517 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:01 am

beamish14 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:12 pm
Tarantino has buried the hatchet with Roger Avary, as they’ve teamed up for a podcast

It’s amazing, but Tarantino has never once shown a single Avary-directed film since buying the New Beverly
Someone once told me they saw them together at the New Beverly for a screening and were the two in the audience whispering and making comments amongst themselves the whole time.

ryannichols7

#518 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:02 am

glad this thread was bumped - I'm working on a master list for former Miramax distributed films that now may be with original rightsholders. obviously Tarantino's movies were largely Miramax productions/coproductions and are now controlled by Paramount. the one I'm curious about is Reservoir Dogs, which was not. does anyone here have any idea who controls it now? did it go to Paramount? maybe I missed a definitive answer

PfR73

#519 Post by PfR73 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:07 am

Reservoir Dogs was produced by LIVE Entertainment. Miramax was the theatrical distributor, LIVE retained home video rights. LIVE became Artisan, which was then purchased by Lionsgate, who released the existing US Blu-ray. I think it's very likely Lionsgate still has the rights.

ryannichols7

#520 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:17 pm

PfR73 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:07 am
Reservoir Dogs was produced by LIVE Entertainment. Miramax was the theatrical distributor, LIVE retained home video rights. LIVE became Artisan, which was then purchased by Lionsgate, who released the existing US Blu-ray. I think it's very likely Lionsgate still has the rights.
perfect, thank you for that answer. it's not like the other Lionsgate/Miramax releases in that regard where Miramax produced the movie directly and Miramax licensed for home video...so Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and Kill Bill are Paramount now and not LGF, only Reservoir Dogs should remain with them, got it!

yoloswegmaster

#521 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:19 pm

An Amazon listing has been found for a 4K release of Resevoir Dogs coming from Lionsgate in November.

Swift

#522 Post by Swift » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:11 pm

Brad Pitt mentions in this French video store that while Tarantino has one movie left of his 10, he doesn't include streaming services in that count.

yoloswegmaster

#523 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:44 am

A listing has been found for a 4K release of Pulp Fiction coming in November.

hearthesilence

#524 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:47 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:44 am
A listing has been found for a 4K release of Pulp Fiction coming in November.
Hoping for the best, I never got the Blu-ray due to its waxy texture, and IIRC only one of the better picture options overseas didn't mess up the sound so that it was pitched up.

Maltic

#525 Post by Maltic » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:42 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:12 pm

The two appeared as guests in a 1987 film draft edisode of The Big Picture podcast recently (I guess in order to promote their own show).
SpoilerShow
I was surprised City on Fire didn't come up! Though there may have been requirements I didn't pick up, e.g. US release in 1987.