International Blu-ray discs

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Stefan Andersson

Re: International Blu-ray discs

#526 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri May 13, 2022 7:22 am

Post deleted, moved to Carlotta thread.

L.A.

#528 Post by L.A. » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:17 pm

Two Fantaterror titles Count Dracula's Great Love (1973) and Hunchback of the Morgue (1973) from El Setanta-Nou coming next month. English subtitles.

L.A.

#529 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:10 am

Qivitoq - The Mountain Hiker (Erik Balling, 1956), the first Danish film to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film and shot on location in Greenland.

No Blu-ray available but a DVD only. Don’t know where else to ask but does it have English subtitles?

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#530 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:53 pm

L.A. wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:10 am
Qivitoq - The Mountain Hiker (Erik Balling, 1956), the first Danish film to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film and shot on location in Greenland.

No Blu-ray available but a DVD only. Don’t know where else to ask but does it have English subtitles?
I'm a native Dane, and I can confirm that the DVD indeed has English subtitles. It comes from a fine HD remaster, so it's really a shame that Nordisk only released it on DVD. They do this with many of their titles as the blu-ray market in Denmark is pretty much non-existing. Instead, one can stream their films in 1080p on their platforms, but then, of course, it's often compressed to death and grain looks like a smudge of death. Still better than DVD, though, I think. I can check out some of the streaming services as to whether English subs are provided, if you're interested?

L.A.

#531 Post by L.A. » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:19 am

jegharfangetmigenmyg wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:53 pm
I'm a native Dane, and I can confirm that the DVD indeed has English subtitles. It comes from a fine HD remaster, so it's really a shame that Nordisk only released it on DVD.
Thank you for confirming, ordered the DVD from CDON which was cheap fortunately. Also took the Swedish bonkers sci-fi classic Rymdinvasion I Lappland (1959) with a very hairy monster from outer space.
jegharfangetmigenmyg wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:53 pm
I can check out some of the streaming services as to whether English subs are provided, if you're interested?
Sure, that would great. Thanks.