New York City Repertory Cinema

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
hearthesilence

Re: New York City Repertory Cinema

#626 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:45 pm

A lot of amazing stuff happening this weekend -

Lincoln Center's King Vidor retrospective continues

Anthology Film Archives begins the second part of their William Klein retrospective (including rare 16mm screenings of The Little Richard Story, one of my favorites), plus their George Miller retrospective as well

Film Forum begins their massive Resnais retrospective (though there are a lot of DCP's, probably with the same questionable color timing that's plagued his Blu-ray releases)

And Metrograph begins their tribute to Robert and Irwin Young with an amazing program - Barbara Kopple will attend her screening of Harlan County, USA on Saturday

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#627 Post by Drucker » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:55 pm

Best city in the world. Baba booey.

hearthesilence

#628 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:46 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:45 pm
Anthology Film Archives begins the second part of their William Klein retrospective (including rare 16mm screenings of The Little Richard Story, one of my favorites), plus their George Miller retrospective as well
They actually cancelled the Sunday screening due to projection difficulties and re-scheduled it for next Wednesday evening (Aug. 24). FWIW, they tried showing a digital file but I guess they messed up the encoding because it played as if it were two frames per second rather than full motion. I will say the digital file looked GREAT - no touch-up work (film scratches were still plentiful and visible at the beginning) but the color, image quality and grain texture was superb, so if they really wanted to, they could release a raw but great looking Blu-ray without rescanning the film.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#629 Post by Drucker » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:08 am

Lincoln Center playing a bunch of Owen Kline selected films, many in 35mm, this week. Wish I could make it to Artists and Models, and probably will try to catch Withnail and I which I've still never seen (though it plays the same night as Kagemusha at BAM.
A highlight of this year’s Directors’ Fortnight at Cannes, actor-turned-director Owen Kline’s Funny Pages draws on an intricate network of film references—from the psychodrama and Hollywood teen comedies to underground cinema to Golden Age cartoon one-reelers. On the occasion of Film at Lincoln Center’s release of Funny Pages on August 26, Kline has handpicked an assortment of films that influenced the world to which his hilariously dark, pleasantly unexpected debut belongs, including works by Ralph Bakshi, Frank Tashlin, and Robert Downey, Sr.; 35mm cartoon pairings; and the premiere of an hour-long 35mm “Mystery Reel” assembled by Kline himself.
They are also screening Pasolini's Madea in 35mm with a panel discussion on 9/20.

hearthesilence

#630 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:33 am

Drucker wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:08 am
A highlight of this year’s Directors’ Fortnight at Cannes, actor-turned-director Owen Kline’s Funny Pages draws on an intricate network of film references—from the psychodrama and Hollywood teen comedies to underground cinema to Golden Age cartoon one-reelers. On the occasion of Film at Lincoln Center’s release of Funny Pages on August 26, Kline has handpicked an assortment of films that influenced the world to which his hilariously dark, pleasantly unexpected debut belongs, including works by Ralph Bakshi, Frank Tashlin, and Robert Downey, Sr.; 35mm cartoon pairings; and the premiere of an hour-long 35mm “Mystery Reel” assembled by Kline himself.
I just looked at the trailer and holy crap I recognize the friend with the long hair and glasses - for years, going back to 2009, he's been at like 90% of the film screenings I go to.

Also there's a 2016 post where swo is surprised to find out that Owen Kline is Kevin Kline and Phoebe Cates's son - that makes two of us, except it took me six more years to find out.

hearthesilence

#631 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:51 pm

Anybody here catch Petulia at Metrograph this weekend? Unfortunately I had to miss it and I’ve never seen it before, but I was wondering if the print was an IB Technicolor print like the one that screened at the New Beverly in L.A. in 2016? (There are two more screenings and I may be able to sneak out of work to catch one of them if I’m lucky.)

aurevoir

#632 Post by aurevoir » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:45 am

hearthesilence wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:51 pm
Anybody here catch Petulia at Metrograph this weekend? Unfortunately I had to miss it and I’ve never seen it before, but I was wondering if the print was an IB Technicolor print like the one that screened at the New Beverly in L.A. in 2016? (There are two more screenings and I may be able to sneak out of work to catch one of them if I’m lucky.)
If it were, I assume they'd advertise that fact.

hearthesilence

#633 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:38 am

aurevoir wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:45 am
hearthesilence wrote:
In the past yes, but it's a very different staff than what they had pre-pandemic and they haven't been great at advertising anything lately. I'm not even sure they would know what print they'd have anymore beyond the fact that it's 35mm or not.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#634 Post by Drucker » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:26 am

Drucker wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:08 am
Lincoln Center playing a bunch of Owen Kline selected films, many in 35mm, this week. Wish I could make it to Artists and Models, and probably will try to catch Withnail and I which I've still never seen (though it plays the same night as Kagemusha at BAM.
They are also screening Pasolini's Madea in 35mm with a panel discussion on 9/20.
Quoting myself for an update. I was at Lincoln Center the other night and the previews indicated that the Medea print they are showing is from newly restored elements. So it's a brand new print, and will resemble the new restoration that seems to exist (which makes sense given that Janus just tweeted a picture about it out?)

aurevoir

#635 Post by aurevoir » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:50 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:38 am
aurevoir wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:45 am
hearthesilence wrote:
In the past yes, but it's a very different staff than what they had pre-pandemic and they haven't been great at advertising anything lately. I'm not even sure they would know what print they'd have anymore beyond the fact that it's 35mm or not.
The programmers haven't tweeted about it and they would know/care, even if, organizationally, the place is otherwise a bit of a mess.

MoMA's Tsai retro, originally planned for April 2020, is finally back on! It starts October 20 and the schedule's now up: https://www.moma.org/calendar/film/5204

Roscoe

#636 Post by Roscoe » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:19 pm

aurevoir wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:50 pm
The programmers haven't tweeted about it and they would know/care, even if, organizationally, the place is otherwise a bit of a mess.
I wonder if they'd know/care that the staff at the Metrograph mis-spelled the title of the move yesterday -- according to the movie schedule posted in the lobby, they were showing PATULIA instead of PETULIA.

senseabove

#637 Post by senseabove » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:23 pm

Has there been any word of that Tsai retro traveling elsewhere? Tsai was supposed to "tour" DC, New York, and Chicago during that 2020 trip, IIRC, but only Chicago run was over before shutdowns started. There're are few shows and a talk in Chicago before this NYC run, but not a full retro...

aurevoir

#638 Post by aurevoir » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:05 pm

Roscoe wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:19 pm
I wonder if they'd know/care that the staff at the Metrograph mis-spelled the title of the move yesterday -- according to the movie schedule posted in the lobby, they were showing PATULIA instead of PETULIA.
Ha, I noticed that too! (I also agree about that guy at Inherent Vice with the annoying laugh, though IIRC the scratching on the print was only really bad on a couple of the reels.)

aurevoir

#639 Post by aurevoir » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:10 pm

senseabove wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:23 pm
Has there been any word of that Tsai retro traveling elsewhere? Tsai was supposed to "tour" DC, New York, and Chicago during that 2020 trip, IIRC, but only Chicago run was over before shutdowns started. There're are few shows and a talk in Chicago before this NYC run, but not a full retro...
The Harvard Film Archive's also been added to the mix. Outdated URL, still the current website, updates a work-in-progress: https://www.tsai2020.com/

senseabove

#640 Post by senseabove » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:27 pm

Thanks for that! At the moment it looks like the other cities aren't going to be nearly as comprehensive as the NYC run, but perhaps those will get fleshed out a little more. Meanwhile, if anyone in NYC wants a house sitter for the back half of October...

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#641 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:36 pm

Well at least they didn’t misspell the title on the marquee today, but I’m sad to report that Metrograph’s print of Petulia playing currently is very badly faded and mostly red, to the point that blues and greens are barely visible. Happily enough I’ve seen the movie relatively recently, so I had a better first impression (and I know what it’s supposed to look like), but I’d avoid it. What really bothered me during today’s screening was the handful of geniuses who burst out laughing at the scenes of
SpoilerShow
brutal domestic abuse and the kid being wounded in the car crash - like, really, guys?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#642 Post by Drucker » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:38 pm

Again, Metrograph has been very weak lately! The crowd is not helping in that part of the city. Though I am journeying out Thursday night to catch Married to the Mob.

Separately, I'd have no faith in Metrograph advertising an IB Tech print. Pre-pandemic I attended supposedly IB Tech print screenings of African Queen and Hatari and both films looked drab and faded. Not as bad as faded to red, but certainly not the eye-popping you'd expect from an IB Tech Print.

hearthesilence

#643 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:26 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:36 pm
Well at least they didn’t misspell the title on the marquee today, but I’m sad to report that Metrograph’s print of Petulia playing currently is very badly faded and mostly red, to the point that blues and greens are barely visible. Happily enough I’ve seen the movie relatively recently, so I had a better first impression (and I know what it’s supposed to look like), but I’d avoid it.
Massively disappointing. Thanks for the report Never Cursed.

I'll add that I saw Artists and Models at Lincoln Center a week ago, and they actually showed an IB Tech print. While it did look good, it didn't knock me out - not because it was a bad print (it was actually in great shape), but as it turns out, the film was shot on Eastman Color. I guess the advantage of the IB Tech print was mostly to preserve the color?

hearthesilence

#645 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:27 pm

Screenwriter Larry Karaszewski will be at Film Forum next week for special presentations of DOLEMITE IS MY NAME, screening in 35mm(!) on Sat, Sept 10 at 8pm, and Tim Burton’s ED WOOD, scripted by Alexander & Karaszewski and a favorite of Eddie Murphy’s, screening Wed, Sept 7 at 7:50.

These events are presented in conjunction with MILOŠ FORMAN 90, opening Sept 9, and Karaszewski will return on Mon, Sept 12 to present two Forman films that he co-wrote with Scott Alexander, MAN ON THE MOON and THE PEOPLE VS. LARRY FLYNT – both screening in 35mm.

hearthesilence

#646 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:31 pm

Also a rare screening of Larry Clark's Passing Through at BAM on Labor Day at 4 p.m. (though MoMA did have a few screenings earlier this year in the midst of that stabbing craziness). It's presumably the UCLA restoration too as it's a DCP. (Is this not available for streaming or purchase due to a rights issue?)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#647 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:37 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:31 pm
Also a rare screening of Larry Clark's Passing Through at BAM on Labor Day at 4 p.m. (though MoMA did have a few screenings earlier this year in the midst of that stabbing craziness). It's presumably the UCLA restoration too as it's a DCP. (Is this not available for streaming or purchase due to a rights issue?)
I saw it at MOMA before the stabbing incident, and he was there for a Q&A. I asked him about it being commercially hard to see, and he indicated he liked keeping it that way, that he wants the film to be seen in the right format and with a communal audience. He also made a comment about how bad films used to look on VHS and that he didn't want that to happen to Passing Through, and given that he self-financed the film he was under no commercial pressure to make more money through home video.

The film was indeed superb.

beamish14

#648 Post by beamish14 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:34 pm

Drucker wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:37 pm
hearthesilence wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:31 pm
I saw it at MOMA before the stabbing incident, and he was there for a Q&A. I asked him about it being commercially hard to see, and he indicated he liked keeping it that way, that he wants the film to be seen in the right format and with a communal audience. He also made a comment about how bad films used to look on VHS and that he didn't want that to happen to Passing Through, and given that he self-financed the film he was under no commercial pressure to make more money through home video.

Larry Clark presented all three of his major works at the Hammer this past weekend, with Passing Through being a beautiful 16mm print. He also noted that he wants his films to be experienced communally, although I’m certain that much of the music in it would be incredibly difficult to license.

Don’t miss the film or him. He’s extraordinarily fascinating to listen to

beamish14

#649 Post by beamish14 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:58 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:27 pm
Screenwriter Larry Karaszewski will be at Film Forum next week for special presentations of DOLEMITE IS MY NAME, screening in 35mm(!) on Sat, Sept 10 at 8pm, and Tim Burton’s ED WOOD, scripted by Alexander & Karaszewski and a favorite of Eddie Murphy’s, screening Wed, Sept 7 at 7:50.

These events are presented in conjunction with MILOŠ FORMAN 90, opening Sept 9, and Karaszewski will return on Mon, Sept 12 to present two Forman films that he co-wrote with Scott Alexander, MAN ON THE MOON and THE PEOPLE VS. LARRY FLYNT – both screening in 35mm.

I’d love to see a comprehensive overview of Forman and Ivan Passer’s works together. Passer lived in L.A. and attended a number of screenings of his work, and I know Forman was on the East Coast and was present at some retrospectives of his films

Valmont screened in 70mm about 15 or so years ago at the Egyptian in Hollywood. Really curious to see if it still exists

hearthesilence

#650 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:03 am

Drucker wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:37 pm

Thanks Drucker! I wish I caught that screening. I probably would've gone to one of his later Q&A's, but then the stabbing happened and I guess he had to return to L.A. because they re-scheduled the screenings but none of his remaining appearances.