The Criterion Channel -- Film and Content Discussion

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
beamish14

Re: The Criterion Channel -- Film and Content Discussion

#851 Post by beamish14 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:39 pm

They had me at “Quebec prison.”

I do wish the “synth scores” series included The Mosquito Coast, which would tie in with Paul Schrader, too

John Cope

#852 Post by John Cope » Tue May 14, 2024 7:03 pm

Fantastic to see Lilies on there. One of my favorite films of the 90's and my favorite Greyson (which is saying a lot). Hope this portends a Blu release finally.

therewillbeblus

#853 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue May 14, 2024 7:17 pm

What are some of your other favorite Greyson films?

John Cope

#854 Post by John Cope » Tue May 14, 2024 7:37 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:17 pm
What are some of your other favorite Greyson films?
I like all his work to one extent or another. He has always been restlessly inventive and experimental with form. Zero Patience is probably the other obvious peak, though I also especially like Proteus and Urinal and his "doc" Fig Trees is remarkable. The one I struggle with most and am most ambivalent about is The Law of Enclosures simply because I love the book it's based on and Greyson makes some creative decisions in adapting it which I can't fully get behind; a beautiful movie otherwise though and one that should be seen more than it has been.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#855 Post by swo17 » Thu May 16, 2024 2:01 pm

About Dry Grasses debuts on Tuesday

dwk

#856 Post by dwk » Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:05 pm

Looking at the expiring on June 30 list and both Comrades: Almost a Love Story and The Cat are both leaving. Comrades is going back in WB's Golden Harvest jail, don't know who has the US rights to The Cat.

dwk

#857 Post by dwk » Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:46 pm

July 2024.
Slate includes Four of the Heisei-Era Godzilla films (The Return of Godzilla (1984), Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989), Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991), Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992))

bfaison

#859 Post by bfaison » Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:48 pm

Hopefully it goes better than the last time they tried a livestream. Sounds really cool -
On Sunday, June 30 at 5 p.m. PT/ 8 p.m. EST, Criterion will broadcast the film live via its streaming service. Following the premiere, the concert doc will stream exclusively on the Criterion Channel beginning July 1.

CriterionPhreak

#860 Post by CriterionPhreak » Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:07 am

dwk wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:05 pm
Looking at the expiring on June 30 list and both Comrades: Almost a Love Story and The Cat are both leaving. Comrades is going back in WB's Golden Harvest jail, don't know who has the US rights to The Cat.
I just checked out Comrades. Plenty of films and TV shows have used the same subject matter: a fish-out-of-water Chinese Mainlander with no language skills, cultural understanding, nor financial stability struggling to survive in Hong Kong in the 80s and 90s when China was still a poor, backward third-world country while Hong Kong was the envy of all Chinese. In fact, this 1985 TV episode (Chinese subs only) uses almost identical setups and plot points as the 1996 film: a fellow Mainlander, a lodging house that is a brothel, being looked down by HK people, the ensuing inferiority complex and uncertainty, etc. Such sentiment is no more, of course, since China became an economic powerhouse in the early 2000s. Nowadays it is often the Hong Kongers who are being looked down by Mainlanders for not being able to speak Mandarin (while under British rule, Mandarin was not taught in many HK schools), and for being economically and culturally inferior, showing once again that history is the consummate trickster.

criterionsnob

#861 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:45 pm

I'm not sure when these were added, but Criterion and Janus logos appear on a bunch of short, medium, and feature length Les Blank films on the Channel, which don't appear on the Always for Pleasure Blu-ray release.

jwd5275

#862 Post by jwd5275 » Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:44 pm

criterionsnob wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:45 pm
I'm not sure when these were added, but Criterion and Janus logos appear on a bunch of short, medium, and feature length Les Blank films on the Channel, which don't appear on the Always for Pleasure Blu-ray release.
They were all added today. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all of Les Blank's films are now available on the channel except Puamana (available on multiple other streaming platforms) and Ry Cooder Group ’88 in Santa Cruz (right issues).

Besides these and the Heisei Godzilla films, Kidlat Tahimik's Turumba and Perfumed Nightmare begin with Criterion and Janus logos too.