UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Finch
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:09 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2526 Post by Finch » Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:42 pm

Geoff gives the Chinatown 4K a thumbs up on the other forum: Now, the really important question is if they've done right by South Park Bigger Longer Uncut? [-o<

nicolas
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:34 am

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2527 Post by nicolas » Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:30 am

Addition to the non-English friendly master list under the blue category.

Nagisa Oshima's In the Realm of the Senses and Empire of Passion were released by Carlotta in a set. The films are on 2x BD-100 discs in SDR and not English friendly.
The resolution upgrade is strong and encoding excellent by LSP but these are Éclair restorations with their signature color tint.
Caps for the two UHDs + the bonus film A Woman Called Abe Sada on BD at the bottom of this page: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.ph ... st22209390)

User avatar
Finch
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:09 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2528 Post by Finch » Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:13 am

Withnail and I Arrow 4K

Bound Criterion 4K

nicolas
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:34 am

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2529 Post by nicolas » Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:53 pm

Arrow’s American Gigolo looks like one of the best releases of the year: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=160

Encoding is confirmed to be by David M. :)

User avatar
cdnchris
Site Admin
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2530 Post by cdnchris » Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:34 pm

Yeah, it's a great looking presentation, one of their best of their recent releases.

nicolas
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:34 am

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2531 Post by nicolas » Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:43 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:34 pm
Yeah, it's a great looking presentation, one of their best of their recent releases.
Wonderful to hear this. I’ve been looking forward to this one for a long time. When seeing these caps, I really am grateful that Schrader isn’t one of the tinkering directors and that the film went into the right hands at Arrow.

User avatar
Finch
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:09 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2532 Post by Finch » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:37 pm

Were you going to get Cinema Guild's Typhoon Club release, nicholas?

nicolas
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:34 am

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2533 Post by nicolas » Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:02 pm

Finch wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:37 pm
Were you going to get Cinema Guild's Typhoon Club release, nicholas?
I only received it today as my copy was held up in transit. TBH, I would’ve probably cancelled this had I read the DNR reports but it was already underway. I thought I didn’t have much to add to what’s already been said but anybody claiming that the film is unwatchable is wrong. My eyes got used to the DNR when I watched a few minutes. The DNR is gentle compared to the Cameron films and what makes it bearable for me is that the party that did the remaster refrained from applying fake grain on top of the DNR which the DP requested for The Pianist for example. Typhoon Club now essentially looks like a digitally shot film, which isn’t ideal but not the worst thing in the world.

What’s surprising though is that the general resolution and definition of the master is essentially identical on the UHD and BD. DNR is to blame for this but I’m currently not sure if the encode of the 4K is also partially to blame. I’ll check the disc in my computer tomorrow and update if I notice something noteworthy but what’s a little suspicious on first glance is that CG’s encoder used much lower bitrates than I’m used to from indie labels. The UHD is close to the BD in that regard but it isn’t a bad encode, probably just appropriate for the clean textures in the master.

I’d say getting the BD is enough although I happily supported Cinema Guild’s first UHD effort as their contributions to this release are very good and promising for the future should they release more. They’ll have to get better masters though, otherwise it’ll probably be tough getting sales.

Someone at the other forum posted comparison caps with the new CG and an old Japanese BD (which I don’t have) and it’s a definite improvement: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=29

User avatar
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2534 Post by tenia » Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:15 pm

tenia wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:18 am
I have Army of Shadows SC disc (from the UK boxset), and am planning to buy the new release. If so and if I find the time, I'll rip the 2 tracks and compare the spectrals through spek.
Had a quick look at the BD : FFS, what happened to the grain ? Grading aside, which indeed doesn't look particularly convincing at first glance (black levels look way too elevated to begin with), several shots have the film grain moving like in slow motion. It's not frozen in place, but I can only guess it's only a few steps from being so. The barbershop scene at the 27th minute for instance is a full-on nightmare, because not only this but Reggiani is making the grain move around him like he's projecting a Jedi force-field. Ugh.
Thankfully, the whole movie isn't like this, as the rest is... kinda fine but just looks low-pass filtered anyway (like at th 62nd minute) ? There seems to be overall a noticeable discrepancy in texture from scene to scene anyway, and this all makes it even more glaring.

I'm currently scanning through spek the new French track : it looks like there is no frequency above 9 kHz (except for the Studio Canal opening logo), so here you go.
EDIT : running the UK SC boxset disc through spek : goes up to 22 kHz for the first 15 minutes, then up to 11 kHz with bits of info between 11 and 22 kHz.

User avatar
Finch
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:09 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2535 Post by Finch » Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:12 pm

Thanks nicholas about the Typhoon Club feedback. Moving, the second 4K coming from Cinema Guild, may not be better looking as it's from the same rightsholder but perhaps we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Calvin
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:12 am

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2536 Post by Calvin » Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:52 am

Finch wrote:Thanks nicholas about the Typhoon Club feedback. Moving, the second 4K coming from Cinema Guild, may not be better looking as it's from the same rightsholder but perhaps we'll be pleasantly surprised.
Moving is from a different rightsholder - Yomiuri TV. Typhoon Club is Chu Eibo.

nicolas
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:34 am

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2537 Post by nicolas » Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:55 am

A poster on the other forum made a comparison between all Typhoon Club releases, including the old DVD and the Third Window disc: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=36

The CG definitely warrants the blue category due to the fixed black levels and the best encode. The Third Window BD has even less textures than the CG. I’d speculate that they botched the encode.

Hearing that Moving is from a different rightsholder is great news and CG probably know what they’re doing as now confirmed with Typhoon Club. Looking forward to this!

User avatar
Finch
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:09 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2538 Post by Finch » Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:07 pm

Thank you for setting the record straight, Calvin, I thought Tuphoon Club and Moving were licensed from the same party; potentially promising that they aren't. Moved Typhoon Club to the blue tier.

nicolas
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:34 am

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2539 Post by nicolas » Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:36 am

Purple Rain screenshots and disc specs posted at the other forum (courtesy of secretplace): https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=269

The 5.1 and 2.0 mixes are confirmed to have turned out great and were sourced from the original tracks.

User avatar
Finch
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:09 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2540 Post by Finch » Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:22 am

Fist of Legend (88 Films)

DNR noticeable, but still a big improvement over the BDs.

Titch
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:15 am

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2541 Post by Titch » Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:28 am

There is controversy regarding the audio on La Femme Nikita, with a couple of reviewers on Home Theatre Forum (Robert Harris and Joshua Zyber) declaring that it is defective.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/commun ... hd.383073/

Apart from Harris and one another reviewer, it doesn't seem like anyone else has mentioned the audio issue on the French 5.1 track yet. Joshua Zyber wrote that there is zero interest in this title on the web - it's the least read review he's published. Is there really no one interested in Luc Besson's first merging of French art-house and Hollywood blockbuster?

https://videofileblog.com/2024/06/17/fe ... ay-review/

nicolas
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:34 am

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2542 Post by nicolas » Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:17 am

Blue Velvet is most likely a blue category release: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=146

I haven’t gone through all the caps but the Criterion BD holds up quite well compared to the more refined 4K. HDR is essentially SDR in a HDR container according to the poster.

User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2543 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:58 am

Titch wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:28 am
There is controversy regarding the audio on La Femme Nikita, with a couple of reviewers on Home Theatre Forum (Robert Harris and Joshua Zyber) declaring that it is defective.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/commun ... hd.383073/

Apart from Harris and one another reviewer, it doesn't seem like anyone else has mentioned the audio issue on the French 5.1 track yet. Joshua Zyber wrote that there is zero interest in this title on the web - it's the least read review he's published. Is there really no one interested in Luc Besson's first merging of French art-house and Hollywood blockbuster?

https://videofileblog.com/2024/06/17/fe ... ay-review/
Is that the only soundtrack option?

Because I encountered something similar when QCing the now ancient Blu-ray of Arrow's King of New York - the 2.0 track (which I assume is closest to the original theatrical version) was wonderfully punchy and aggressive, but the 5.1 track just sounded anaemic. I ended up looking up reviews of the US edition just to make sure that it wasn't my ears deceiving me, and those few reviews that went into that level of detail all said the same thing, so I can only assume that the 5.1 remix was messed up in some way. And Nikita (which is how I've always known it; I never really understood why the US distributors fiddled with the title) is pretty much exactly contemporary with King of New York.

nicolas
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:34 am

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2544 Post by nicolas » Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:04 am

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:58 am
Titch wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:28 am
There is controversy regarding the audio on La Femme Nikita, with a couple of reviewers on Home Theatre Forum (Robert Harris and Joshua Zyber) declaring that it is defective.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/commun ... hd.383073/

Apart from Harris and one another reviewer, it doesn't seem like anyone else has mentioned the audio issue on the French 5.1 track yet. Joshua Zyber wrote that there is zero interest in this title on the web - it's the least read review he's published. Is there really no one interested in Luc Besson's first merging of French art-house and Hollywood blockbuster?

https://videofileblog.com/2024/06/17/fe ... ay-review/
Is that the only soundtrack option?

Because I encountered something similar when QCing the now ancient Blu-ray of Arrow's King of New York - the 2.0 track (which I assume is closest to the original theatrical version) was wonderfully punchy and aggressive, but the 5.1 track just sounded anaemic. I ended up looking up reviews of the US edition just to make sure that it wasn't my ears deceiving me, and those few reviews that went into that level of detail all said the same thing, so I can only assume that the 5.1 remix was messed up in some way. And Nikita (which is how I've always known it; I never really understood why the US distributors fiddled with the title) is pretty much exactly contemporary with King of New York.
English 5.1 and French 2.0 tracks are also included with the Sony. The upcoming Studiocanal Steelbook has these options according to Bluray-disc.de: German DTS-HD MA 5.1, German DTS-HD MA 2.0, English DTS-HD MA 5.1, French DTS-HD MA 5.0, French DTS-HD MA 2.0.

User avatar
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2545 Post by tenia » Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:51 am

It looks like the previous 5.1 French track didn't have this limitation, and wasn't what seems to be a LCRS track encoded as 5.1 which actually is 5.0. The question, I suppose, is how the movie track originally sounded like, and whether it's closer to the boomier previous track or the 5.0-in-5.1 more recent mix.

User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2546 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:13 am

Well, there wouldn't have been an LFE track in the original Dolby Stereo mix, so I wouldn't be fussed about that at all.

User avatar
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2547 Post by tenia » Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:27 am

I think the matter here is that the lack of content in the .1 channel isn't just an encoding choice but the reflection of a lack of very low frequency content, hence the issue having by some with this new track.
I have no idea if that's representative of the original mix, and thus if the new track abnormally lacks this or if it's the previous video mix that was abnormally boomy.

User avatar
Finch
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:09 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2548 Post by Finch » Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:17 pm

Curzon's 4K of Memories of Murder is on a BD100 and first impressions from early buyers is that it resembles the South Korean 4K a lot more than the Criterion BD.

a first endorsement of the South Park Bigger Longer Uncut 4K

Glory (Sony steelbook with Dolby Vision added, solid upgrade if you already own the BD or the first 4K)

User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2549 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:34 pm

Finch wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:17 pm
Curzon's 4K of Memories of Murder is on a BD100 and first impressions from early buyers is that it resembles the South Korean 4K a lot more than the Criterion BD.
Which means what?

User avatar
yoloswegmaster
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2550 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:38 pm

Probably that it's less green than the latter release

Post Reply