Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
TechnicolorAcid
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:43 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6451 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:40 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:30 pm
Woah, I had no idea either! Is there a reasonably-priced way to get this stateside? Orbit's copy is $$
If you’re referring to Hellzapoppin, that’s one I’ve been wanting to get too for a while now but it appears that your best bet is to contact them or Diabolik for a restock of their copies otherwise you’d need to import directly from Wicked Vision (which only accepts Euros), Amazon.de, or pay reasonably high prices on EBay.

User avatar
Omensetter
Yes We Cannes
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:17 pm
Location: Lawrence, KS, U.S.

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6452 Post by Omensetter » Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:13 pm

I'm really glad I included that Hellzapoppin' clause, then! Certainly there's a few cherished titles whose existence I've only discovered casually. For what it's worth, I purchased my copy of it from wom.de, and it arrived within two weeks. Wicked Vision (which I've only heard of now) seems to have the better price, and the website itself seems more geared toward those who would purchase Hellzapoppin'. I debated waiting on Orbit, but I wasn't expecting a blu-ray of Hellzapoppin' ever, and there's no guarantee of another edition, so it was easy enough to eat the shipping.

nicolas
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:34 am

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6453 Post by nicolas » Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:36 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:30 pm
Woah, I had no idea either! Is there a reasonably-priced way to get this stateside? Orbit's copy is $$
The BD is also expensive for me in Germany as it was released by a small label that almost exclusively focus on doing “limited” media book sets for packaging collectors. The regular BD of the film costs twice the amount catalogue titles usually cost around here. I’d say try Amazon or JPC but it may take a while until it sees a discount. Quality of the BD is also doubtful as Amazon only lists DD 2.0 as sound.

User avatar
Peacock
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6454 Post by Peacock » Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:54 am

nicolas wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:36 am
. Quality of the BD is also doubtful as Amazon only lists DD 2.0 as sound.
Audio options are: German/English DTS HD-MA 2.0 Mono according to the label’s website.

rrenault
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6455 Post by rrenault » Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:28 am

What are the chances Criterion focuses on titles with a built-in home theater enthusiast audience for their bells and whistles UHD spine-numbered releases while shifting to a pared down “Janus Classics” line at a lower price point per film for things like Jean Eustache’s Mes Petites Amoureuses or all those Naruse films?

I won’t lie. In this market and in this economy, the $40 MSRP for single film 1080p blu-rays is a bit steep, especially for importers. UHD is a premium enough product they can justify the high price point. However, if you’re stateside and can take advantage of a sale or have a few Criterion gift codes it’s fine.

User avatar
Matt
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:58 pm

Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6456 Post by Matt » Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:16 pm

Many of the mainline releases are already “pared down.” Criterion have never dropped prices, but they have kept that $40 MSRP for a very long time and still offer 50% sales 4 times a year (sorry non-U.S. buyers). The streaming channel is the lower price point option for people who don’t care about bells and whistles and top-quality AV.

User avatar
Captain Paranoia
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:33 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6457 Post by Captain Paranoia » Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:00 am

Between films such as All of Us Strangers, Happiness, and the Teenage Apocalypse trilogy, part of me is convinced that the people at Criterion are attempting to acquire titles that are common selections for dream Criterion releases. I'm predicting that films such as The Straight Story, Gummo, the Death Trilogy, and May December will be among the October releases, or sometime this year.
Last edited by Captain Paranoia on Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ryannichols7
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:26 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6458 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:08 am

rrenault wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:28 am
What are the chances Criterion focuses on titles with a built-in home theater enthusiast audience for their bells and whistles UHD spine-numbered releases while shifting to a pared down “Janus Classics” line at a lower price point per film for things like Jean Eustache’s Mes Petites Amoureuses or all those Naruse films?

I won’t lie. In this market and in this economy, the $40 MSRP for single film 1080p blu-rays is a bit steep, especially for importers. UHD is a premium enough product they can justify the high price point. However, if you’re stateside and can take advantage of a sale or have a few Criterion gift codes it’s fine.
so basically they'll relegate the releases they're already doing to another line while continuing the higher price point for already scant editions? not sure I follow. Naruse isn't the best example as most of those films are in pretty dire condition, but I can't imagine them churning out a KLSC-esque treatment of any given Janus holding that has a new 4K restoration without anything new added. they already lowballed Le Corbeau, for example, which featured no new extras but hardly any to begin with in the first place. and one only needs to see the specs list for Criterion's The Long Good Friday and compare it to Arrow's loaded edition.

$40 MSRP has clearly stuck around this long and I don't forsee it changing. it's the Costco hot dog of the physical media industry.
Captain Paranoia wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:00 am
Between the All of Us Strangers, Happiness, and the Teenage Apocalypse trilogy, I'm predicting that films such as Gummo, the Death Trilogy, and May December will be among the October releases, or sometime this year.
so Criterion, after trumpeting diversity as long as they have, will predominantly go back to releasing white, English language movies? which truthfully was never their focus...

User avatar
Captain Paranoia
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:33 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6459 Post by Captain Paranoia » Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:35 am

Captain Paranoia wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:00 am
Between the All of Us Strangers, Happiness, and the Teenage Apocalypse trilogy, I'm predicting that films such as The Straight Story, Gummo, the Death Trilogy, and May December will be among the October releases, or sometime this year.
so Criterion, after trumpeting diversity as long as they have, will predominantly go back to releasing white, English language movies? which truthfully was never their focus...
[/quote]

Admittedly, the idea of Criterion predominantly releasing English language movies didn't come to mind in terms of what Criterion is releasing soon, I was more focusing on how it seems like the staff at Criterion are trying to get their hands on movies that a lot people on social media are clamoring for Criterion releases of (At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we did see a Kurosawa box set this year, or at least a UHD release of Seven Samurai or something like that...)

I would love to see releases from underdeveloped countries on a side note. Maybe I’m biased because I’m of Peruvian descent, but I would love to see Criterion (or any other major boutique label) take a shot at releasing obscure Latin American films (I'm looking forward to the Black God, White Devil release, though I'm also trying to get my hands on the Brazilian limited edition set as well as the French and UK releases).
Last edited by Captain Paranoia on Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

black&huge
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:35 am

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6460 Post by black&huge » Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:30 am

Captain Paranoia wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:00 am
Between films such as All of Us Strangers, Happiness, and the Teenage Apocalypse trilogy, part of me is convinced that the people at Criterion are attempting to acquire titles that are common selections for dream Criterion releases. I'm predicting that films such as The Straight Story, Gummo, the Death Trilogy, and May December will be among the October releases, or sometime this year.
They should happily surprise us all with Naked Tango

rrenault
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6461 Post by rrenault » Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:46 am

ryannichols7 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:08 am
rrenault wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:28 am
What are the chances Criterion focuses on titles with a built-in home theater enthusiast audience for their bells and whistles UHD spine-numbered releases while shifting to a pared down “Janus Classics” line at a lower price point per film for things like Jean Eustache’s Mes Petites Amoureuses or all those Naruse films?

I won’t lie. In this market and in this economy, the $40 MSRP for single film 1080p blu-rays is a bit steep, especially for importers. UHD is a premium enough product they can justify the high price point. However, if you’re stateside and can take advantage of a sale or have a few Criterion gift codes it’s fine.
so basically they'll relegate the releases they're already doing to another line while continuing the higher price point for already scant editions? not sure I follow. Naruse isn't the best example as most of those films are in pretty dire condition, but I can't imagine them churning out a KLSC-esque treatment of any given Janus holding that has a new 4K restoration without anything new added. they already lowballed Le Corbeau, for example, which featured no new extras but hardly any to begin with in the first place. and one only needs to see the specs list for Criterion's The Long Good Friday and compare it to Arrow's loaded edition.

$40 MSRP has clearly stuck around this long and I don't forsee it changing. it's the Costco hot dog of the physical media industry.

No, my point is they would continue the 4K releases as they’re doing them for titles in demand among home theatre enthusiasts and “filmbros” and the like while doing the occasional flagship title on the premium format, as well, such as Seven Samurai, while “relegating” deep Janus catalog titles like the Naruse films that are unlikely to live many units at that $40 MSRP per film to a more affordable and more barebones Blu-ray line comparable to Janus Contemporaries.

As for the $40 MSRP, you’re right it hasn’t budged much, but 1080p Blu-ray is no longer a premium format the way it was 10-12 years ago, so there’s an obvious ceiling to how much people are willing to spend on it compared UHD, which is now the new kid in town.

Granted, maybe because I live overseas importing Criterion 1080p editions from the U.S. just seems like terrible value these days, especially with import duties and all that. I have imported a couple of their 4Ks in recent years for movies I really lived though.

User avatar
dwk
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6462 Post by dwk » Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:59 am

Maybe the best choice for stuff that isn't likely to do well as single releases is to do box sets of 3 or 4 titles with $90 - $120 MSRP..

As for pricing in general, of the major boutiques, Kino is the only one with a lower MSRP than Criterion. Everyone else is about the same or more and some labels (Vinegar Syndrome) seem to raise their MSRP every year. So, in a shrinking market, it could be worse.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6463 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:14 am

I’m pretty sure Severin’s MSRP is lower as well

User avatar
dwk
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6464 Post by dwk » Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:07 pm

Forgot about Severin. Yes their MSRPs are mostly $5-10 less (depending on the title) for Blu-rays, but the UHDs tend to be the same MSRP (or a lot more for the site exclusive editions.) Shout's MSRP is also a few $ less than Criterion's, but they never have good sales. And that is the other thing, since Criterion doesn't do limited editions, you can just wait for the four 50% off sales.

User avatar
ryannichols7
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:26 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6465 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:32 pm

Jia Zhangke has confirmed on his Weibo that Criterion will be releasing a box set of five of his movies. the Chinese text is him quite literally saying that he hopes Criterion hurries up and releases the "gift box" - awesome news, and a huge break is that Still Life is going to be part of this collection!

User avatar
yoloswegmaster
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6466 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:22 pm

Where is Still Life confirmed? The Weibo post doesn't specifically mention the titles, plus the U.S. bluray for Still Life is still in-print.

Glowingwabbit
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6467 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:23 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:22 pm
Where is Still Life confirmed? The Weibo post doesn't specifically mention the titles, plus the U.S. bluray for Still Life is still in-print.
He confirms in the comment section: the hometown trilogy (Xiao Wu, Platform, Unknown Pleasures), The World, and Still Life

User avatar
Walter Kurtz
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:03 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6468 Post by Walter Kurtz » Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:58 pm

I've always liked the (highly English-ized probably) title of Still Life. When you're drowned your pretty still. But there's still life in the town. And this is a contemplative movie... almost a collection of still lifes at times.

I wonder if Criterion approached MichaelB for a commentary yet.

User avatar
yoloswegmaster
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6469 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:04 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:23 pm
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:22 pm
Where is Still Life confirmed? The Weibo post doesn't specifically mention the titles, plus the U.S. bluray for Still Life is still in-print.
He confirms in the comment section: the hometown trilogy (Xiao Wu, Platform, Unknown Pleasures), The World, and Still Life
Thanks for the notice! I just emailed Big World Pictures to see if their blu will remain in-print.

User avatar
yoloswegmaster
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6470 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:10 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:04 pm
Thanks for the notice! I just emailed Big World Pictures to see if their blu will remain in-print.
I just got a response back from them and they confirmed that there are no changes and will continue to distribute it. Maybe it's been sublicensed from them just for this set?

User avatar
colinr0380
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:30 pm
Location: Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire, UK

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6471 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:54 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:32 pm
Jia Zhangke has confirmed on his Weibo that Criterion will be releasing a box set of five of his movies. the Chinese text is him quite literally saying that he hopes Criterion hurries up and releases the "gift box" - awesome news, and a huge break is that Still Life is going to be part of this collection!
Fingers crossed for the mythical 200-minute Venice Film Festival version of Platform along with the official 150 minute Berlin release [-o<

User avatar
hearthesilence
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:22 am
Location: NYC

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6472 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:23 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:54 pm
Fingers crossed for the mythical 200-minute Venice Film Festival version of Platform along with the official 150 minute Berlin release [-o<
I didn't know about those longer cuts, but it's not uncommon for festival cuts to be different than the theatrical versions, and the changes aren't necessarily imposed on the filmmaker - they could very well be choices the filmmaker(s) wanted in order to improve the film. Would that be the case here or is there compelling evidence that he preferred the festival cuts?

Post Reply