Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
therewillbeblus

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics

#5651 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:32 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:07 pm
Has "Alphaville" by Kino on UHD/Blu-Ray been canceled or postponed ?
What makes you think so? Their website lists a street date of August 13

Rupert Pupkin

#5652 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:45 pm

That's just because I can't see it at wowhd and pre-order it; whereas all the Kino releases that I have bought, I pre-ordered these titles here. Just received from wowhd Cry Baby Kino UHD+Blu-Ray. But that does not mean that it has been postponed; that's just that I would prefer to order it at wowhd (from France) rather than amazon.com

therewillbeblus

#5653 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:20 pm

You may find it more helpful to check the company website rather than your preferred retailer next time for up-to-date info on releases

FrauBlucher

#5654 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:56 pm

therewillbeblus

#5655 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:05 am

Huh, the darker look suited the film so well, and the Kino looks awfully bright to me. Hope I don’t regret selling my Olive blu

FrauBlucher

#5656 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:57 am

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!
Brand New HD Restoration by Paramount Pictures – From 6K Scans of the 35mm Original Camera Negative!

Teacher’s Pet (1958) Starring Clark Gable, Doris Day, Gid Young, Mamie Van Doren, Marion Ross & Charles Lane – Shot by Haskell B. Boggs (The Bellboy) – Screenplay by Fay Kanin (The Opposite Sex) & Michael Kanin (Woman of the Year) – Directed by George Seaton (Miracle of 34th Street, The Country Girl, Airport).
6K Scans?

beamish14

#5657 Post by beamish14 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:27 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:57 am
Coming Soon on Blu-ray!
Brand New HD Restoration by Paramount Pictures – From 6K Scans of the 35mm Original Camera Negative!

Teacher’s Pet (1958) Starring Clark Gable, Doris Day, Gid Young, Mamie Van Doren, Marion Ross & Charles Lane – Shot by Haskell B. Boggs (The Bellboy) – Screenplay by Fay Kanin (The Opposite Sex) & Michael Kanin (Woman of the Year) – Directed by George Seaton (Miracle of 34th Street, The Country Girl, Airport).
6K Scans?

It was produced in VistaVision, and those have been receiving 6K scans. The Searchers and North by Northwest received the same treatment

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5658 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:36 pm

I’ve seen this film and remember absolutely nothing about it other than that Gig Young’s Oscar nom was truly inexplicable

FrauBlucher

#5659 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:51 pm

A B&W comedy. What a waste of VistaVision

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5660 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:02 pm

Hopefully a much better B&W VistaVision comedy from this period, the Matchmaker, is somewhere in the mix. I was looking at my shelves recently and for as much as Paramount has been generous with licenses, there are still way more of their DVDs that haven’t been upgraded yet than there really should be

What A Disgrace

#5661 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:21 pm

Lubitsch In Berlin is no longer included as a supplement on Kino's new Blu-ray of Anne Boleynn.

nicolas

#5662 Post by nicolas » Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:48 am

Kino Lorber are starting a new monthly live stream on YouTube dedicated to their physical media work. The first stream will be on Monday, June 24th.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/live/0vsRK6F8Naw

Description: "SHELF SPACE WITH KINO LORBER is a monthly conversation series about film, physical media, and collecting, featuring Frank Tarzi, head of acquisitions for Kino Lorber Studio Classics, and moderated by resident film lover Alicia Lu. Each episode will spotlight Kino Lorber releases, answer audience questions in the chat, and may feature directors, experts, and other special guests. If you've ever wondered how we acquire, produce, and distribute our releases, or have strong opinions about the future of physical media, this is the space for you!"

I think this is the PERFECT opportunity to engage with them when it comes to a few important, sensitive issues such as their poor encoding, frequent audio issues and other concerns with their releases. From how this looks, the posts in this live stream will reach the physical media manager at KL directly without an "insider" to shut down any attempt at criticism as it happened here on the forums way too often. Maybe we can actually enlighten them on what should be immediately improved with their releases.

Kino further asked this: "While we welcome and appreciate differing opinions and healthy debate, any vitriolic statements or harassment will not be tolerated. You will be blocked and may be reported.

Thank you for respecting our guidelines. It helps us maintain an open dialogue with our community—and there’s nothing we love more than our community. ❤️"

FrauBlucher

#5663 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:02 am

Coming Soon!
Brand New Master – From a 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative!
Hiding Out (1987) Starring Jon Cryer, Keith Coogan & Annabeth Gish – Shot by Daniel Pearl (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) – Music by Anne Dudley (The Full Monty) – Directed by Bob Giraldi (National Lampoon’s Movie Madness).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5664 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:11 am

My write up from the 80s list
domino harvey wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:04 pm
Hiding Out (Bob Giraldi 1987) None of the parts which make up this teen comedy could possibly result in a good whole-- Jon Cryer plays a 29 year old Wall Street stock broker who is on the run from the mob and hides out as a high school student in Delaware-- and yet the film surprised me by taking how this scenario plays out into directions that are just slightly smarter than expected. This is a film that somehow makes 29 year old Cryer dating a 17 year old girl not only un-cringeworthy but shows their interactions in a chaste, melancholy fashion that had unexpected gravitas. I mean, there's still a bunch of dumb teen movie shit here (though, uh, it was on the higher end of that spectrum-- I especially liked the antics of Keith Coogan from Adventures in Babysitting, who has his date remove her glasses so she can't see he doesn't really know how to drive) but it successfully circumvented my biggest problem with identity fraud films (See Tootsie et al) with
SpoilerShow
Cryer actually confessing the whole scheme to Annabeth Gish instead of just compounding the lies in a comical fashion leading up to the big awkward reveal
This isn't list-worthy and isn't even worth seeking out, really, but if you ever did see it, you might be surprised at how much better than expected and sweet it is.

beamish14

#5665 Post by beamish14 » Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:45 pm

I’m a huge fan of Hiding Out. It’s up with Three O’Clock High as among the darkest teen comedies of the 80’s (or comedies, period). I can’t help but love a movie with snipers in a high school gymnasium and an argument about Nixon bombing Cambodia

Roscoe

#5666 Post by Roscoe » Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:47 am

What A Disgrace wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:21 pm
Lubitsch In Berlin is no longer included as a supplement on Kino's new Blu-ray of Anne Boleynn.
It's listed on the kinolorber website and on the Amazon page as being part of the release, but this being Kino anything is possible. Where did you see that it's not included?

jheez

#5667 Post by jheez » Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:57 am

Roscoe wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:47 am
What A Disgrace wrote:
It's listed on the kinolorber website and on the Amazon page as being part of the release, but this being Kino anything is possible. Where did you see that it's not included?
I have the disc in hand. I can confirm that unfortunately it's not listed as a supplement on the menu or on the back of the case. The menu only has two options - "Play" and "Subtitles"

dwk

#5668 Post by dwk » Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:52 am

Internal Affairs UHD
Coming Soon on 4KUHD!
Brand New HDR Dolby Vision Master - From a 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative!
Internal Affairs (1990) Starring Richard Gere, Andy Garcia, Nancy Travis, Laurie Metcalf, William Baldwin, Richard Bradford & Michael Beach – Shot by John A. Alonzo (Chinatown) – Written by Henry Bean (Deep Cover) – Directed by Mike Figgis (Leaving Las Vegas).

tolbs1010

#5669 Post by tolbs1010 » Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:05 pm

My favorite corrupt cop movie among many contenders. Henry Bean's script keeps the moralizing to a minimum which allows the audience to enjoy the corruption. Gere has never been better on screen. It's fun watching his smooth villainy get the better of Garcia's overly-earnest intensity.

I probably don't NEED to upgrade this to 4K but if there are some decent bonus features and the price is right, I will.

John Cope

#5670 Post by John Cope » Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:25 pm

Why won't they (or anyone) upgrade Figgis's Liebestraum (which is still only on DVD)??? Desperately needs it and would be glorious in HD.

Roscoe

#5671 Post by Roscoe » Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:55 pm

jheez wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:57 am
Roscoe wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:47 am
What A Disgrace wrote:
I have the disc in hand. I can confirm that unfortunately it's not listed as a supplement on the menu or on the back of the case. The menu only has two options - "Play" and "Subtitles"
Fucking Kino, man. Fucking Kino.

beamish14

#5672 Post by beamish14 » Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:03 pm

John Cope wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:25 pm
Why won't they (or anyone) upgrade Figgis's Liebestraum (which is still only on DVD)??? Desperately needs it and would be glorious in HD.

I’m a very big fan of that and have mentioned it as a wish list title, too. The MGM DVD has a crucial scene that was only on European prints as a supplement, so you have to pause the damn thing, watch it, and then go back to the movie. It’s been OOP for years

John Cope

#5673 Post by John Cope » Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:26 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:03 pm
John Cope wrote:
I’m a very big fan of that and have mentioned it as a wish list title, too. The MGM DVD has a crucial scene that was only on European prints as a supplement, so you have to pause the damn thing, watch it, and then go back to the movie. It’s been OOP for years
You should just watch the UK DVD which incorporates that scene.

beamish14

#5674 Post by beamish14 » Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:37 pm

John Cope wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:26 pm
beamish14 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:03 pm
John Cope wrote:
You should just watch the UK DVD which incorporates that scene.
It’s not out on HD anywhere, is it? Figgis records good commentaries as well, and I have his published screenplay, which had interesting comments about it

nicolas

#5675 Post by nicolas » Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:19 pm

nicolas wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:48 am
Kino Lorber are starting a new monthly live stream on YouTube dedicated to their physical media work. The first stream will be on Monday, June 24th.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/live/0vsRK6F8Naw

Description: "SHELF SPACE WITH KINO LORBER is a monthly conversation series about film, physical media, and collecting, featuring Frank Tarzi, head of acquisitions for Kino Lorber Studio Classics, and moderated by resident film lover Alicia Lu. Each episode will spotlight Kino Lorber releases, answer audience questions in the chat, and may feature directors, experts, and other special guests. If you've ever wondered how we acquire, produce, and distribute our releases, or have strong opinions about the future of physical media, this is the space for you!"

I think this is the PERFECT opportunity to engage with them when it comes to a few important, sensitive issues such as their poor encoding, frequent audio issues and other concerns with their releases. From how this looks, the posts in this live stream will reach the physical media manager at KL directly without an "insider" to shut down any attempt at criticism as it happened here on the forums way too often. Maybe we can actually enlighten them on what should be immediately improved with their releases.

Kino further asked this: "While we welcome and appreciate differing opinions and healthy debate, any vitriolic statements or harassment will not be tolerated. You will be blocked and may be reported.

Thank you for respecting our guidelines. It helps us maintain an open dialogue with our community—and there’s nothing we love more than our community. ❤️"
I’ve just participated in this live stream. The stream was almost entirely made up of Tarzi (the physical media manager at KL) answering questions from the live chat.

Regarding my hopes about getting questions to Tarzi: Chances are actually not bad if more people would ask about these really central issues. I was the only one in the chat complaining about their bad encoding and the rest of this chat felt like an extension of the KL title speculation thread on the other forum.

My repeated questions were not shut down or deleted, which surprised me positively. Tarzi doesn’t have the chat in front of himself, only the moderator he’s talking with.

If people here really care about the films KL release (chances are high, unfortunately) and want to see better encoding, audio mixes etc., I’d suggest participating in the next live stream and make your voices heard.

BTW, Tarzi announced a Career Opportunities 4K release and they may also do a UHD of John Ford’s Donovan’s Reef. Currently they only have BD rights.