Flicker Alley
- TechnicolorAcid
- Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:43 pm
Re: Flicker Alley
We know Severin is releasing a set devoted to films inspired by the Grand Guignol, it’s possible that it may be a collaboration with Flicker Alley and it could explain why Flicker Alley was unaware of this section of silent film history
- domino harvey
- Dot Com Dom
- Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:42 pm
Re: Flicker Alley
They’ve been promising Nanook coming back in print for a while, maybe it will be part of a Flaherty box?
- Lowry_Sam
- Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:35 pm
- Location: San Francisco, CA
Re: Flicker Alley
Just found a new copy of Nanook in a store a week ago. My top choice for re-release would be the Duvivier collection with all mistakes corrected.
- FrauBlucher
- Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:28 am
- Location: Greenwich Village
Re: Flicker Alley
They also have The Black Pirate (1926) coming as it's currently playing at the LA Silent film festivalLowry_Sam wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2026 7:24 pmOne or more 100 year anniversary releases? Their first UHD?
1926
Faust (Kino)
Flesh And The Devil
For Heaven's Sake
Mother
A Page Of Madness
The Adventures Of Prince Achmed (Milestone)
The Scarlet Letter
- Lowry_Sam
- Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:35 pm
- Location: San Francisco, CA
Re: Flicker Alley
I saw MOMA's technicolor restoration print a month or two ago (Niles Essanay Theater). The action sequences were certainly impressive, particularly Fairbanks doing his own stunts, but once was enough for me, though I can see why others might want it on disc.FrauBlucher wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2026 2:40 am
They also have The Black Pirate (1926) coming as it's currently playing at the LA Silent film festival
- DeprongMori
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:59 am
- Location: San Francisco
Re: Flicker Alley
What are the mistakes in the Duvivier set? Is there a link?Lowry_Sam wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2026 1:21 am Just found a new copy of Nanook in a store a week ago. My top choice for re-release would be the Duvivier collection with all mistakes corrected.
- Lowry_Sam
- Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:35 pm
- Location: San Francisco, CA
Re: Flicker Alley
I guess it's searchable, but off hand I remember something (audio sync issue?) that was in the original French edition & not corrected by Flicker Alley. I held off buying to see if there'd be a repress/correction, but looks like it just went out of print without much further discussion.
- Matt
- Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:58 pm
Re: Flicker Alley
You're gonna be real surprised when you find out who identified an audio issue.DeprongMori wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2026 3:38 am What are the mistakes in the Duvivier set? Is there a link?
I'm gonna be a maverick here and say I don't think these silent films lacking a 5.1 soundtrack should hold anyone back from buying this set. And I definitely don't think it's a problem Filcker Alley would (or should) re-press a multi-disc box set for. Lobster Films doesn't exist anymore—in fact, this was one of their last releases—so they certainly won't be making any fixes.
- mteller
- Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:23 pm
Re: Flicker Alley
I hope they include the 70's soundtrack as well... it's one of my favorites.Lowry_Sam wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2026 9:16 pm It was mentioned in that discussion. In fact that was the main focus if I remember correctly, that there would be a new restoration/soundtrack for it.
- DeprongMori
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:59 am
- Location: San Francisco
Re: Flicker Alley
ROFLOL! That was an awful lot of discs ago! (Originally, I had been attempting to find out whether it was an audio issue or just a metadata issue. I’m not set up for 5.1, having only stereo and center speaker, so couldn’t verify easily.)Matt wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2026 5:57 amYou're gonna be real surprised when you find out who identified an audio issue.DeprongMori wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2026 3:38 am What are the mistakes in the Duvivier set? Is there a link?
I'm gonna be a maverick here and say I don't think these silent films lacking a 5.1 soundtrack should hold anyone back from buying this set. And I definitely don't think it's a problem Filcker Alley would (or should) re-press a multi-disc box set for. Lobster Films doesn't exist anymore—in fact, this was one of their last releases—so they certainly won't be making any fixes.
And, I still haven’t watched any of the discs on that release. I seem to spend more time cataloging them.
- denti alligator
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:36 am
- Location: "born in heaven, raised in hell"
Re: Flicker Alley
No big announcement?
- denti alligator
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:36 am
- Location: "born in heaven, raised in hell"
Re: Flicker Alley
"Area of film history" makes it sound like it's not region specific, but either an actual historical era or a something specific to a technology. Hand-colored films? Early sound experiments? Hybrid silent/sound pictures? What could this be?We have been heavily focused on a big box set that should be announcing in the next few weeks that will also include our first 4K titles. It's an area of film history that I myself was completely unaware of, but have really become enamored with as we've been researching and developing the release the past two years.
- Peacock
- Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:47 pm
- Location: Scotland
Re: Flicker Alley
Maybe the Complete 17 Second Collection of Louis Le Prince - there’s a man who badly needs the spotlight shone on him; and sadly I’m only half joking.denti alligator wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 8:38 pm"Area of film history" makes it sound like it's not region specific, but either an actual historical era or a something specific to a technology. Hand-colored films? Early sound experiments? Hybrid silent/sound pictures? What could this be?We have been heavily focused on a big box set that should be announcing in the next few weeks that will also include our first 4K titles. It's an area of film history that I myself was completely unaware of, but have really become enamored with as we've been researching and developing the release the past two years.
- denti alligator
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:36 am
- Location: "born in heaven, raised in hell"
Re: Flicker Alley
Now that's a body of work worthy of a box set!
-
Soothsayer
- Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:54 pm
Re: Flicker Alley
Has the Art of Benshi set already been released? I cannot find info on it anywhere. Thanks!
-
Calvin
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:12 pm
Re: Flicker Alley
It has not. No specifics have been announced.Soothsayer wrote:Has the Art of Benshi set already been released? I cannot find info on it anywhere. Thanks!
- denti alligator
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:36 am
- Location: "born in heaven, raised in hell"
Re: Flicker Alley
Are we assuming this is the box set hinted at?
- The Elegant Dandy Fop
- Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:25 am
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Flicker Alley
UCLA is doing a benshi weekend this December that specifically says is tied to Flicker Alley’s set.
-
Calvin
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:12 pm
Re: Flicker Alley
I don't think Flicker Alley would describe benshi as an area of film history they were 'previously unaware of' considering they've already released A Page of Madness before (albeit as a MOD disc).
- Lowry_Sam
- Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:35 pm
- Location: San Francisco, CA
Re: Flicker Alley
San Francisco Film Preserve’s first Re:Vision festival featuring mostly sound restorations, but their website posted this
https://ibb.co/3mHhfRpP
One of the slides mentions Sunrise will be a 2027 release:CURRENT PROJECTS
What we're working on
In additional to the sound and silent versions of F.W. Murnau's masterpiece Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, we are currently working on a collection of stunning Len Lye shorts, and examples of early color films from the collection of George Eastman Museum.
https://ibb.co/3mHhfRpP
- Peacock
- Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:47 pm
- Location: Scotland
Re: Flicker Alley
The article mentions silent Japanese animation so I wonder if that’s the area being referred to?Calvin wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 11:37 pm I don't think Flicker Alley would describe benshi as an area of film history they were 'previously unaware of' considering they've already released A Page of Madness before (albeit as a MOD disc).
Can’t wait for a 4K Sunrise! And that reel of outtakes.
- The Elegant Dandy Fop
- Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:25 am
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Flicker Alley
Total speculation, but if it’s Japanese animation, it could be the Japanese Paper Films that have been touring the US. Fits the criterion of being something being potentially “previously unaware of”.Peacock wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2026 1:36 pmThe article mentions silent Japanese animation so I wonder if that’s the area being referred to?Calvin wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 11:37 pm I don't think Flicker Alley would describe benshi as an area of film history they were 'previously unaware of' considering they've already released A Page of Madness before (albeit as a MOD disc).
Can’t wait for a 4K Sunrise! And that reel of outtakes.