Claire Denis

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

senseabove

Re: Claire Denis

#101 Post by senseabove » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:15 am

Okay... I hope there's a newer transfer than was used for DVDs released fifteen years ago, which would seemingly warrant mention for one of the most celebrated living French filmmakers and would probably be described as "a restoration" of some sort by the company releasing it, since their press release for the online film series mentions several "restorations" as well as, more narrowly, "digital restorations" for several other films, but whose promotional website for L'Intrus includes a still that, unfortunately, looks like this.

criterionsnob

#102 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:08 pm

I watched the Metrograph stream of L'intrus, and while it looked like an older source, it certainly looked much better than my old DVD.

Oedipax

#103 Post by Oedipax » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:51 pm

criterionsnob wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:08 pm
I watched the Metrograph stream of L'intrus, and while it looked like an older source, it certainly looked much better than my old DVD.
Argh, I wish I had known this earlier. It looks like L'intrus is already unavailable on their streaming platform.

Oedipax

#104 Post by Oedipax » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:35 pm

Sadly, the Metrograph screening of Trouble Every Day looked worse than the various DVD releases. Massive macroblocking apparent from the opening moments of light shining on the Seine. So bad that I wouldn't completely rule out some kind of connectivity issues, though I'm on a fast fiber connection.