Hong Kong Cinema: A Guide

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism both old and new, as well as memorializing public figures we've lost.
colinr0380

Re: Hong Kong Cinema: A Guide

#301 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:42 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:55 pm
I have the DVD of Run and Kill and other than the final fifteen minutes of insane brutality, it's also a rather boring movie helped in no part by Kent Cheng's pathetic character. Billy Teng's equally violent Dr. Lamb and Red to Kill are superior just on the level of pure shock, though Red to Kill might qualify for the most un-PC film of all time. All the best category III films in my experience have been the sexploitation ones like Daughter of Darkness, Erotic Ghost Story, Sex and Zen, and even Robotrix with all the chesty robots involved in all sorts of salacious acts.
Don't forget the astonishing erotic thriller from the same year as Basic Instinct, Naked Killer!

hanshotfirst1138

#302 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:52 am

I remember there was an International Channel when I was a kid which showed a variety of interesting things including subtitled anime, and one of those things was a late-night showing of Body Weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#303 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:14 pm

I know this might be an unusual question, but does anyone know the name of the artist who did various Hong Kong posters from the 80s with that distinct, smooth sort of look? There was a recent Hong Kong film that seemed to be a loving homage to the films of the 80s that featured its lead singing Jackie Chan's theme to Police Story in the trailer, and the poster seemed to use the same artist or at least one replicating the style. I unfortunately can't recall the title of the film. Here's a poster for The Occupant that features the artist I'm trying to identify.

YnEoS

#304 Post by YnEoS » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:20 pm

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:14 pm
I know this might be an unusual question, but does anyone know the name of the artist who did various Hong Kong posters from the 80s with that distinct, smooth sort of look? There was a recent Hong Kong film that seemed to be a loving homage to the films of the 80s that featured its lead singing Jackie Chan's theme to Police Story in the trailer, and the poster seemed to use the same artist or at least one replicating the style. I unfortunately can't recall the title of the film. Here's a poster for The Occupant that features the artist I'm trying to identify.
Yuen Tai-yung, there's a 2016 documentary on him called The Posterist, which I haven't seen yet, but I'm curious about.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#305 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:28 pm

YnEoS wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:20 pm
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:14 pm
Yuen Tai-yung, there's a 2016 documentary on him called The Posterist, which I haven't seen yet, but I'm curious about.
Thank you very much! I wasn't expecting an answer so quickly!

whaleallright

#306 Post by whaleallright » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:52 pm

Do we think Yuen was responsible for this piece of art (actually the cover of a soundtrack album, but duplicating a film poster), one of the most existentially disturbing images I have yet seen?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2MuDAzWkAE ... me=900x900