1060 Amores perros

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

1060 Amores perros

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:16 pm

Amores Perros

Sending shock waves through the Mexican film industry and the world, this blistering feature debut from Alejandro Iñárritu brought the director’s electrifying visual style and bravura multistrand storytelling to the screen with the heart-stopping impact of a primal scream. In Mexico City, the lives of three strangers—a young man (Gael García Bernal) mixed up in the gritty underworld of dogfighting, a glamorous woman (Goya Toledo) who seems to have it all, and a mysterious assassin (Emilio Echevarría) who is desperate to reconnect with his estranged daughter—collide in a tragic twist of fate that forever alters their personal journeys. A tour de force of violence and emotion captured in a rush of kinetic handheld camera work, Amores perros is an unforgettable plunge into a world of brutality and aching, interconnected humanity.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Alejandro Iñárritu and director of photography Rodrigo Prieto, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between Iñárritu and filmmaker Paweł Pawlikowski
  • New conversation between Iñárritu and actors Adriana Barraza, Vanessa Bauche, and Gael García Bernal
  • Perros, amores, accidentes, a new documentary on the making of the film featuring behind-the-scenes footage
  • Rehearsal footage with narration by Iñárritu
  • New interview with composer Gustavo Santaolalla
  • New video essay by film scholar Paul Julian Smith
  • Deleted scenes, with optional commentary by Iñárritu and Prieto
  • Music videos for songs from the film’s soundtrack by Control Machete, Café Tacvba, and Julieta Venegas
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
    PLUS: Essays by critic Fernanda Solórzano and author Juan Villoro

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 1060 Amores perros

#2 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:20 pm

AGI > the Criterion Forum

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#3 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:19 pm

That is a very solid set of extras! I haven't seen it since it was initially in theaters, and I'll be interested to see how it holds up after the mid-2000s ubiquity of the "multiple interconnected stories" structure.

therewillbeblus

#4 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:40 pm

Even though I remember feeling quite strongly that neither parts two or three beat the first story, this remains my favorite AGI after Birdman, and the only other one of his films I really liked aside from 21 Grams- though I also haven't seen either since I was a kid, so a lot could change. Like you DI, seeing this in the midst of the post-Pulp Fiction fragmented narrative boom definitely could've swayed its effectiveness as that concept got old for me fast, and then imploded with Crash (I wonder how many of those still hold up in general, aside from Go and Traffic, which always stood out as great)

Close The Door, Raymond

#5 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:10 am

Great news. I avoided an earlier blu-ray release from Lionsgate.

The transfer used for the Lionsgate blu-ray removed the bleach-bypass look seen in the original theatrical release and earlier DVD releases.

The Lionsgate DVD and blu-ray has audio commentary by Iñárritu and writer Guillermo Arriaga in Spanish with English subtitles as well as deleted scenes (also with commentary).

Close The Door, Raymond

#6 Post by Close The Door, Raymond » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:35 am

On a Zoom call with Mexican press honoring Amores perros, González Iñárritu announced he’s working on a new restoration of the film. He advises everyone to avoid the video releases that are out there which, to his view, don’t do Prieto’s color contrast aesthetic justice. Indeed, the Oscar-nominated cinematographer is working closely on the restoration as well.
https://remezcla.com/film/amores-perros ... ary-plans/

barnyard078

#7 Post by barnyard078 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:30 pm

Deleted scenes, with optional commentary by Iñárritu and Prieto, have now been added to this release.

dwk

#8 Post by dwk » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:28 pm