Coronavirus' Effect on the Entertainment Industry

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism both old and new, as well as memorializing public figures we've lost.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Coronavirus' Effect on the Entertainment Industry

#326 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:40 pm

Since the recent discussion was no longer about the entertainment industry, comments on remote learning have been split off here

buskeat66

#327 Post by buskeat66 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:39 pm

aox wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:20 pm
I agree with your sentiment that the GOP doesn't give a shit, but someone has their ear: U.S. judge ends decades-old movie theater rules set by Hollywood studios. That crusade was lead by Trump's Justice Department.
Part of me wonders whether studios' willingness to push release dates back further and further is a result of this ruling, which opens the doors for studios to buy up the failing chains with little or no fuss. By moving release dates back further and further, AMC and CInemark's stock prices keep tanking and their valuations plummet enough for Disney or Amazon to come in and buy them up nice and cheaply.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#328 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:23 pm

Disney and Amazon could've bought theater chains whenever they wanted, they weren't covered by the consent decrees. Amazon has been the subject of a lot of recent rumors about their exhibition ambitions so maybe this will finally convince them to take the plunge, but it would be very strange if Disney—which has never shown any interest in exhibition outside of the El Capitan and the Crest, the latter of which they didn't hang onto for long—got into the barely-profitable theater business shortly after a massive corporate restructuring that effectively puts their streaming services in the driver's seat.

whaleallright

#329 Post by whaleallright » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:45 pm

Weren't many or most studios never technically covered by the consent decrees (although they still might have gotten themselves in hot water with an overreach--at least under an unsympathetic administration)? I feel like if the studios felt that it made business sense to return to vertical integration, we would have seen a lot of gradual movement in that direction over the past decades. As much as I hate the Justice Dep't under Trump and presume the worst of their motives, I doubt this ruling is going to have the sort of sweeping effects many worry it will.

The original decision and consent decrees didn't have many of the effects government regulators were anticipating, anyhow. Studios-as-distributors maintained a near-stranglehold over exhibitors for many years, and—as recent events have indicated— still today. (There have been openings for various mini-majors over the years, none of which—aside from Disney, which has become the behemoth—seem to last all that long.) Corporate oligopoly has only intensified in the many years since people started complaining about the pernicious influence of the major studios. I'm not sure this decision will do much to accelerate that.

Nasir007

#330 Post by Nasir007 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:41 am

Borat to Amazon sold for 80 mil though there were rumors of 120 mil earlier. Seems like a decent deal for Universal and Cohen. No wonder the Bond film was asking around for 600-800 mil.