Criterions Out of Print (OOP)

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Criterion OOP

#376 Post by Drucker » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:10 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:08 pm
Harold and Maude and Rosemary's Baby are still available from Amazon. Medium Cool (also prob next on the block) isn't though
But the MOC is still available and I snagged one yesterday, fwiw. And Don't Look Now can still be had for the MSRP from BN.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#377 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:13 pm

Didn't Nashville just get a non-digipak rerelease? There's prob a lot of those floating around if so

dwk

#378 Post by dwk » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:15 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:57 pm
I mean, they just put a Paramount title out this month (the Parallax View), so it's probably a timing thing with certain titles not being renewed (presumably unexpectedly-- my understanding is that there's a new head of home video at Paramount, so this shift may come from them)
Not to mention a Blu-ray upgrade of The Furies coming next month. (Leaving White Dog as the only DVD only Paramount title.)

I wonder, since Paramount has announced four of them, if these six are going OOP just because Paramount is releasing them, and the other, less marketable titles are going to stay in print for now. In any event, I'm glad I picked up The Friends of Eddie Coyle last B&N sale, and I have a list for this summer's sale (assuming they don't go OOP before then.)
Last edited by dwk on Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#379 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:17 pm

What's weird is at least one other studio, Universal, apparently didn't grant Criterion exclusive rights, as they've been releasing on disc (and in at least one instance licensing to another R1 label) titles that Criterion already put out. I thought this is what was going on with these new Paramount discs, but I guess not!

FrauBlucher

#380 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:19 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:13 pm
Didn't Nashville just get a non-digipak rerelease? There's prob a lot of those floating around if so
It was a couple of years back. I did the old switcheroo when they changed packaging

FrauBlucher

#381 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:29 pm

These latest crop of Paramount/CC releases could have come from previous Paramount management agreements with Criterion. We may not be seeing any Paramount titles coming from this new group of executives. Stay tuned and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up any of the Paramounts. It's too bad the B&N sale is still 4 months off

beamish14

#382 Post by beamish14 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:30 pm

Christ, the Amazon/eBay prices for these Paramount titles went absolutely nuts. I had an easier time getting Costa-Gavras' The Confession for a reasonable price when it went OOP.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#383 Post by swo17 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:33 pm

As a reminder, the UK StudioCanal of Don't Look Now betters the Criterion with a David Mackenzie encode

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#384 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:34 pm

Just don't buy the first version of the Blu-ray!

dwk

#385 Post by dwk » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:44 pm

They almost had to have had some kind of recent renewal, right? Otherwise I can't imagine that they'd bother with releasing The Furies on Blu-ray. Especially in a digpak with the copy of the novel.

Boosmahn

#386 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:50 pm

What a Medium Cruel twist of fate...

therewillbeblus

#387 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:58 pm

Just purchased The Friends of Eddie Coyle backordered on DeepDiscount, for normal listed price (~$27 with shipping). I'm not sure how DD operates with OOP titles i.e. if they have copies stored in warehouses and sales are blanket-honored like Amazon, or if I'm likely to get a 'too-bad' refund, but it seemed worth a try

Blutarsky

#388 Post by Blutarsky » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:15 pm

I would love to know the state of the Essential Fellini set. Considering it seems fine I am not concerned, however did criterion renew the rights to La Dolce Vita prior to its release? If so, was Criterion aware in November, or even prior, that their Paramount rights were soon to expire. A sad day today.

hearthesilence

#389 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:30 pm

You can still get The Friends of Eddie Coyle from MoC. In dual-format no less...and it's even part of their 2 for £25 sale. Guess I'll hold on to it for a little while, it's a good film and Mitchum is wonderful, but I was trying to unload it as it's not quite a favorite.
Last edited by hearthesilence on Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boosmahn

#390 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:31 pm

Bad pun aside, this is very disappointing. First, it was Fox, now Paramount. Who's next?

I went ahead and bought Riot in Cell Block 11 from Deep Discount on the off chance it goes OOP soon. It's the only (still-available) older Paramount title I'm interested in having a physical copy of.

therewillbeblus

#391 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:56 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:30 pm
You can still get The Friends of Eddie Coyle from MoC
Yeah I know, and if I recall correctly plenty of people prefer MoC's version to Criterion's (encode and extras, if memory serves) but I've heard great things about the commentary and booklet on the Criterion, which is why I never bit on the MoC. Seems worthwhile to own both for fans of the film.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#392 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:03 pm

I got Days of Heaven yesterday from Amazon, but also The Naked Prey just in case.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#393 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:37 pm

Boosmahn wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:31 pm
I went ahead and bought Riot in Cell Block 11 from Deep Discount on the off chance it goes OOP soon. It's the only (still-available) older Paramount title I'm interested in having a physical copy of.
I think that's not Paramount and is part of the Walter Wanger titles like Stagecoach.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#394 Post by cdnchris » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:44 pm

That's what I would have thought as well but the licencing information states it's licenced from Paramount

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#395 Post by Brian C » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:03 pm

Hard to know which ones are going OOP and which ones really are just “currently unavailable” because of the panic buying.

Seems likely that they’re all endangered in the medium- to long-term, but my quandary is, which ones do I need to overpay for RIGHT NOW?

therewillbeblus

#396 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:14 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:44 pm
That's what I would have thought as well but the licencing information states it's licenced from Paramount
Your list of films licensed by Paramount (one of the many "new" site additions) here was incredibly helpful. To Brian's point, thankfully I have most of the titles I want, but there are a few that I'll probably pause on for now (and potentially regret that choice later), though there really aren't that many Paramount titles

Brian C

#397 Post by Brian C » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:26 pm

Yeah, the number of Paramount titles is thankfully relatively limited. My nightmare has always been the MGM/Fox titles going away, because there’s so many of them, and so many ones that I want that I haven’t gotten around to yet.

I suppose that now that I’m more financially stable than I’ve been, I should start being more aggressive in my purchasing, but until pretty recently it was hard for me to justify picking up more than 4-5 at each BN sale.

Noiradelic

#398 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:27 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:00 pm
Could this be tied into their Paramount Plus streaming platform?

Edit:
Domino wrote:(presumably unexpectedly-- my understanding is that there's a new head of home video at Paramount, so this shift may come from them)
This explains a big part of it
Paramount has announced they're releasing Rosemary's Baby, Don't Look Now and Days of Heaven on Blu on May 25th. Don't know if Harold and Maude and Nashville will be part of a future announcement. Since Days of Heaven's not a particularly commercial movie, it's certainly possible.

Doubt Election's going OOP any time soon because it was licensed much later. The OOP titles were obviously all licensed at the same time (not sure about La Dolce Vita).

EDIT: Didn't see dwk's post about the Paramount releases, but I'll leave mine up because it's more detailed.
Last edited by Noiradelic on Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian C

#399 Post by Brian C » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:31 pm

Think we can go on Reddit and convince everyone to panic buy Benjamin Button?

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#400 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:33 pm

Shouldn't One-Eyed Jacks also be on that list? (Although I've ordered the Arrow.)