1078 Nightmare Alley

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
Maltic

Re: 1078 Nightmare Alley

#26 Post by Maltic » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:20 pm

I'm seeing the grain on the DVD (check out the faces), not here.
I did say the BD doesn't look bad, but actually I'm not very good at judging PQ based on still frames. But in general, the DVD format can't really convey film grain convincingly at all, IMO. And of course, there are other limitations.

Gerald Christie

#27 Post by Gerald Christie » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:59 pm

I understand the frustration, I really do. It certainly is disappointing. That being said, the fact that we got this at all is nothing short of a miracle, this is it and literally nothing else is coming in the future. Maybe it's just me but I don't think it looks that bad. Besides, didn't the same thing happen with Cluny Brown and that one turned out to like fineish? Another thing to consider, is that Gary and his caps are never a good indicator of what the final product will look like. I'll wait for the eventual Svet review and caps before making my final judgement.

black&huge

#28 Post by black&huge » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:07 pm

Speaking of Svet is blu-ray.com not working for anyone else? I keep getting a page that says "your connection is not private"

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#29 Post by Drucker » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:09 pm

Or with an example like Le Samourai they could release it with an older master. Indicator's Dragonwyck included the earlier master, as another example.

Unmarried Woman didn't get discussed a ton, but that's another film where I felt the heavy hand of Fox DNR was super distracting while I watched the film. Not holding out hope on this one.

therewillbeblus

#30 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:14 pm

black&huge wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:07 pm
Speaking of Svet is blu-ray.com not working for anyone else? I keep getting a page that says "your connection is not private"
Yeah it's undergoing maintenance or something. It's strange, at times it would take me to a page explaining the maintenance when I'd type in "www" rather than just "blu-ray.com" into chrome, which took me to this "Community.com site," but now it takes me directly to that weird site when I do both rather than the page with updates (earlier today there was one on 4/16 and one from 4/18)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#31 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:19 pm

Apparently they were hosting the site on their own server and the hard drive running it crashed

Gerald Christie

#32 Post by Gerald Christie » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:10 pm

black&huge wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:07 pm
Here's what they posted on their Facebook page:

Update 2021-04-18:
Since we are offline anyway we are going to take the opportunity to upgrade to a new supported OS which is the better long-term decision. However, it will mean some more days offline since many things needs to be re-installed/configured manually.

Update 2021-04-16:
Hello everyone! We have a faulty OS hard drive which didn't want to be replaced in an easy way, which has caused the unexpected downtime. The site and your data is on other hard drives and we also have mirrored backups in several geographical locations so you don't need to worry about data loss.

The server ran CentOS which was abruptly discontinued recently, therefore we are evaluating our options on whether to try to go back to the OS we have now, or install a new OS.

Because of Covid and that it's Friday night, things will take longer than usual to fix, unfortunately it will probably take several days. We will be working non-stop to get the site back online.

We deeply apologize about this, Blu-ray.com is not run by a large corporation therefore our mirrored backup sites aren't powerful enough to simply switch over the complete site immediately.