Fun City Editions

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
Calvin

Fun City Editions

#1 Post by Calvin » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:41 am

A new label, distributed by Vinegar Syndrome, which is "focused on reissues of maverick repertory cinema and music that can best be described as works that exist "outside of their time." Spanning an array of genres, artists and countries, but with a unifying focus on forgotten and overlooked treasures, each Fun City release, be it a Blu-ray or vinyl LP, will present new restorations and comprehensive extras which contextualize and illuminate the artistic and historic value of the piece."

Their first couple of releases:

Johnny (Vincent Spano, Baby It's You and Over the Edge) controls the drug trade in New York's rough Alphabet City neighborhood - as long as his mob bosses let him. But, when he refuses to follow orders to torch the tenement building he grew up in, Johnny puts himself and his loved ones in their unforgiving crosshairs. No Wave filmmaker Amos Poe's (The Blank Generation and Subway Riders) neo-noir cult favorite oozes '80s neon-lit, punk-tinged style.

The innovative and vividly colorful visuals spring from the lens of cinematographer Oliver Wood (TV's Miami Vice, The Honeymoon Killers and Face/Off). Chic co-founder and dance music legend Nile Rodgers' supremely catchy synth-pop score propels the action. The cast of rising and veteran talents includes Kate Vernon (Pretty in Pink), Jami Gertz (Less Than Zero and The Lost Boys), Michael Winslow (the Police Academy series), Kenny Marino (Prince of the City and Death Wish 3) and Zohra Lampert (Let's Scare Jessica to Death and Splendor in the Grass).

Restored and available on Blu-ray for the first time, Alphabet City is an evocative cinematic snapshot of a New York City that has long since vanished.

Bonus Features:
1. Region A Blu-ray
2. Newly scanned & restored in 2k from its 35mm interpositive
3. Newly recorded audio commentary by director Amos Poe and writer Luc Sante
4. Newly filmed interview with actor Vincent Spano
5. Theatrical trailer
6. Image gallery
7. New video essay by filmmaker Chris O'Neill
8. Reversible cover
9. English SDH subtitles
As young Wynne (Jenny Agutter, Walkabout and An American Werewolf in London) comes of age, a psychotic killer of teen schoolgirls stalks her hometown, which is rapidly transforming from an antiquated village to a forward-looking "new town." Is the murderer Wynne's much older foster brother George (Bryan Marshall, The Spy Who Loved Me and The Long Good Friday)? The conflicted Wynne is deeply in love with George, but also fears that he is guilty of the horrific crimes. Director David Greene (Godspell, The Shuttered Room and TV's Roots) imbues Audrey Erskine Lindop's unsettling story with sensitivity, social commentary, and a haunting ambience.

An impressive roster of behind-the-scenes talent contributes to the look and feel of this cult favorite: writer Richard Harris (TV's The Avengers and Man in a Suitcase), cinematographer Alex Thomson (Excalibur, The Keep and Labyrinth), and production designer Brian Eatwell (Walkabout, The Man Who Fell to Earth and White Dog). The innovative music score is by pioneering electronic and experimental composer Basil Kirchin (The Abominable Dr. Phibes and Mutations).

This long sought-after thriller is a gem of late-'60s British filmmaking, now restored and ready to be rediscovered!

Special Features and Technical Specs:
BRAND NEW 2K RESTORATION FROM 35MM INTEPOSITIVE
A Kickstart: Jenny Agutter Remembers I START COUNTING (video interview)
Video introduction by Jenny Agutter
Loss of Innocence: A Video Essay on I START COUNTING by Chris O'Neill
Audio Commentary with film historian Samm Deighan
I Start Directing: David Greene's Complicated Family Stories by Amanda Reyes
Remembrances of Basil Kirchin
David Green and I START COUNTING! by Matt Stephenson
Trailer
Image gallery
English SDH subtitles
REGION-A "LOCKED"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Fun City Editions

#2 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:34 pm

As young Wynne (Jenny Agutter, Walkabout and An American Werewolf in London) comes of age, a psychotic killer of teen schoolgirls stalks her hometown
Is this what they mean by a “Fun City”?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:23 am

Frank Perry's Rancho Deluxe also coming at some point

kneelzod

#4 Post by kneelzod » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:54 pm

Hi, I'm a member and very infrequent poster here, as well as the person behind FCE. I can tell you that our name is an homage to the nickname for the NYC of the John Lindsay years and beyond. Late '60s - '70s.

beamish14

#5 Post by beamish14 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:23 am
Frank Perry's Rancho Deluxe also coming at some point

The dam has finally burst on Frank Perry!

Calvin

#6 Post by Calvin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:40 am

Another upcoming title is Jeremy with Robby Benson and Glynnis O'Connor

Cash Flagg

#7 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:16 pm

Also Smile!

Cash Flagg

#8 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:08 pm

As teased on their Instagram, Walking the Edge is coming 'springtime'.

kneelzod

#9 Post by kneelzod » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:46 pm

We'll also have RADIO ON coming later this year.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#10 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:39 pm

Very excited about this new label. Smile was a film that I always wanted to land with Criterion after the release of Downhill Racer, but it seems like less of the sort of thing they’re interested in releasing these days. It’s both hilarious and with a sort of underlying darkness about small town Americana. I also can’t recommend Walking the Edge enough. I caught it initially during the New Beverly’s month dedicated to Nancy Kwan as I was sort of curious about the pairing of her and Robert Forster. After the messy first feature, Wonder Women, I sort of anticipated this to be mediocre, but was taken aback by just how fun it is. A great thriller with pockmarked legend Joe Spinell wearing the tightest pants with one of the most pronounced moose knuckles in cinema history. Few things I enjoy more than seeing Forster and Kwan share McDonald’s in his small Fairfax District apartment. I liked it so much, I went to see it again when it was screened again for Forster’s memorial month there.

I just ordered Jeremy, a film I had never heard of before its release, as it seems exactly like the sort of film I would enjoy. Looking forward to see what else they have for the future.

DesertDweller

#11 Post by DesertDweller » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:21 pm

I just received my copy of Alphabet City, with the slipcase and I'm so happy with the quality of the film, extras and packaging.
I'm now definitely looking forward to picking up all future releases, as best I can, particularly Jeremy and I Start Counting (how can anyone pass on Jenny Agutter?).

Cash Flagg

#12 Post by Cash Flagg » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:22 pm

Smile pre-order (Vinegar Syndrome exclusive slipcover edition)

Region A Blu-ray
• New 2K restoration from its 35mm interpositive
• “Dernsie’s Credo,” a newly filmed interview with actor Bruce Dern
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery
• Booklet with a new essay by film historian Mike McPadden
• Newly recorded audio commentary by actor-filmmaker Pat Healy and film curator Jim Healy
• English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

jazzo

#13 Post by jazzo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:03 pm

kneelzod, I just wanted to send a big thanks for your efforts behind Fun City, which is quickly becoming a favorite label of mine. If I may offer a couple of suggestions for possible FCE future releases:

Ronald Maxwell and Kimi Peck's shockingly honest and touching coming of age picture, Little Darlings, which meant almost as much as The Bad News Bears did to me back in 1980. That's, of course, a Paramount holding, so probably unobtainable, but it never hurts to ask.

The other may be more doable: Paul Morrissey's bananas NY street/mafia comedy, Spike of Bensonhurst. It and Morrissey's earlier picture, Mixed Blood, seem right up the label's alley.

Again, thanks for the fine work.
Last edited by jazzo on Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beamish14

#14 Post by beamish14 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:15 pm

jazzo wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:03 pm

Ronald Maxwell and Kimi Peck's shockingly honest and touching coming of age picture, Little Darlings, which meant almost as much as The Bad News Bears did to me back in 1980. That's, of course, a Paramount holding, so probably unobtainable, but it never hurts to ask.
I'm sure this title is near the top on many film buffs' wish lists, but it has simply insurmountable music clearance problems. The UCLA Film & Television Archive showed an absolutely flawless print several years ago, and the archivist confirmed as much, too.