Arnaud Desplechin

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

therewillbeblus

Re: Arnaud Desplechin

#101 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:42 pm

Desplechin secretly shot adaptation of Philip Roth's Deception in September, starring Léa Seydoux and currently in post-production, which seems to have been a passion project for a while now. He also notes that he decided to film it due to its COVID-friendly limited needs for production, and hints that he's also working on something much bigger:
Arnaud Desplechin wrote: During lockdown, whilst writing a script which would require wide distribution, extras, a complex schedule and lots of locations, a really old project which I’d left up in the air because I’d never worked out how I could do it, or convey its style, suddenly came back to me

Aunt Peg

#102 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:12 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:25 am
Trailer for Oh, Mercy! which indicates that it will be released in Australia through Madman Films
And sadly that release was limited to screenings of the French Film Festival in March (which was halted due to COVID), resumed in July (when I saw it) and then film went straight to streaming. Does anybody know of an English friendly physical media release anywhere.

therewillbeblus

#103 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:55 pm

Both Fox Lorber DVDs of My Sex Life and Esther Kahn are suddenly listed on Amazon for >$20 individually- are these resurfacing from OOP status, or is this not the set that's been going for insane amounts of money the last few years?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#104 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:11 pm

Reminder that the American Esther Kahn DVD is a shorter cut

therewillbeblus

#105 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:18 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:11 pm
Reminder that the American Esther Kahn DVD is a shorter cut
Thanks, I forgot. I thought I had seen the R1 DVD of My Sex Life going for insane prices before too, but I may have just been thinking of the OOP two-film package

criterionsnob

#106 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:10 pm

Roubaix, une lumière is now available to stream on Crave in Canada (with Super Écran add on), BUT with French subtitles only. I’ve been waiting for this forever and am going to give it a try.

It doesn’t seem to be available anywhere with English subtitles unless I’m missing something?

Aunt Peg

#107 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:28 am

criterionsnob wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:10 pm
Roubaix, une lumière is now available to stream on Crave in Canada (with Super Écran add on), BUT with French subtitles only. I’ve been waiting for this forever and am going to give it a try.

It doesn’t seem to be available anywhere with English subtitles unless I’m missing something?
It's available in Australia with English subtitles for streaming but not on physical media ](*,)

https://www.fetchtv.com.au/movie/details/2194027 It probably cannot be accessed outside of Australia though.

criterionsnob

#108 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:57 am

I watched the whole thing with French subtitles and surprisingly my grade 12 French holds up well after nearly 30 years. It was easy to understand, although I appreciated reading the forum comments above after finishing to fill in some things I missed. Too bad this film was poorly received by many, and may never get a North American release with English subs.