West Coast Repertory Cinema

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism both old and new, as well as memorializing public figures we've lost.
senseabove

Re: West Coast Repertory Cinema

#76 Post by senseabove » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:04 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:26 pm
I was lucky to not have to worry about work today and that I could devote so much time to refreshing screens! I chuckled over them removing one bill at the last minute to "MAKE ROOM FOR AN AMAZING SCREENING WE HAVE TO KEEP SECRET FOR RIGHT NOW". That's a total Cinefamily move, people.
And I guess I'm lucky my job is one where I'm already sitting at a computer refreshing things all day!

I'd assumed the event they're replacing it with is some sort of launch party for the OUaTiH book release, which comes out that day, but I can't see why they'd have to keep that a secret...

senseabove

#77 Post by senseabove » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:06 pm

For folks in and around SF, we have our very own pseudo-Screen Slate now: https://sfbayfilm.com

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#78 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:53 pm

It seems the Quentin Tarantino has bought The Vista theater. Apparently it won’t be a repertory theater, but a theater for playing 35mm prints of new films. Sort of sad to see it go away from what it was and hope they keep the same staff as they’re all very nice. Their manager would have a habit of cosplaying for movies and they even featured him on a poster outside. It makes sense he would purchase it was one of the few theaters in town playing film and in 2019, I saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Marriage Story, and Joker there on 35mm. Not sure if I understand the need for 35mm prints of films shot digitally, but it seems Tarantino likes it. They’ll have to update their projection system for sure as it’s currently running off a platter system.

Also seems like the Hollywood Legion Theater is cranking out screenings. It got a lot of publicity for installing 35mm projectors for its drive-thru open this Summer. Not a drive-thru person, but got tickets to see Blade Runner out of curiousity. They’re also having indoor screenings now and I will be there to watch one of the noir double-features this weekend. I went to visit the space while it was being constructed and it’s spectacular.

The Bootleg Theater was purchased as a joint effort between LA Film Forum, Poetic Research Bureau and an experimental music promoter to turn it into a new arts space. Seems they’ll be converting the rear theater into the first permanent home for the LA Film Forum. After decades of screenings, it’s nice to see them get a real space.

Ribs

#79 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:20 pm

My impression is that one of the reasons for doing this is that the New Bev will no longer have to take a week of its programming from time to time to show new movies like Gunpowder Milkshake and it can become an actual proper just rep theater.

senseabove

#80 Post by senseabove » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:07 pm

SFMOMA announced this week that they're ending their film programming after the Fall 2021 season (along with a few other programs that directly support and engage local artists and critics). Their public statements have said it's due to "reduced attendance, growing expenses, and constrained budgets," but an internal email from Director Neal Benezra that's quoted in an email being forwarded around states that "the financial savings are minimal at best." Apparently a consulting firm, Bain & Company, advised them on the decisions.

There's a petition to save these programs being circulated, and probably more importantly, their biannaul public "Sunshine" Board of Trustees meeting takes place tomorrow, where the public can offer opinions about the decisions.

CJG

#81 Post by CJG » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:43 pm

That's a shame. I have fond memories of going to their screening of Nenette and Boni and Sweet Movie (strange pairing of films, but whatever) a few years ago.