Severin Films

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Severin Films

#326 Post by swo17 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:46 pm

Hmmm...I was tempted to go for the bundle with that, for the Christopher Lee connection.

Christmas colors are an interesting choice for a double-wide crypt...

L.A.

#327 Post by L.A. » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:20 pm

L.A. wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:20 pm
Caligula 2: The Untold Story
Mondo Digital.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#328 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:39 pm

Just received my $10 invoice to upgrade to the UHD reward for Out of the Blue

fdm

#329 Post by fdm » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:51 pm

Nearly deleted that...

dwk

#330 Post by dwk » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:10 pm

Jess Franco's Faceless is getting a UHD release. It will be available from Severin's booth at Texas Frightmare Weekend. They also will be selling Blu-rays of Brigitte Lahaie's Female Executioner

dwk

#331 Post by dwk » Fri May 27, 2022 1:23 pm

Severin's latest Bu-ray box set is up for pre-order: The Incredibly Strange Films of Ray Dennis Steckler

Glowingwabbit

#332 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri May 27, 2022 1:31 pm

dwk wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:23 pm
Severin's latest Bu-ray box set is up for pre-order: The Incredibly Strange Films of Ray Dennis Steckler
Here is their trailer for the set. I'm not familiar with his work. Is this at least better than Al Adamson?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#333 Post by swo17 » Fri May 27, 2022 1:32 pm

I was just about to ask where he falls on a scale from Adamson to Milligan

Glowingwabbit

#334 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri May 27, 2022 1:34 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:32 pm
I was just about to ask where he falls on a scale from Adamson to Milligan
Hahaha that's basically my rating scale as well.

Edit: Someone described the movies as fun which is already a step above Al Adamson in my opinion.

CSM126

#335 Post by CSM126 » Fri May 27, 2022 1:57 pm

By god The Chooper is coming to Blu-Ray. What a world.

If only there were more people putting this kind of effort into good obscure films/directors.

Matt

#336 Post by Matt » Fri May 27, 2022 2:00 pm

Definitely much closer to Adamson than Milligan. Maybe he's kind of like Ed Wood if his ambition was to be William Asher? Or Herschel Gordon Lewis if he wanted to be Vincente Minnelli (but with the skills and imagination of neither)?

agnamaracs

#337 Post by agnamaracs » Fri May 27, 2022 2:47 pm

One of his last projects was a multi-part documentary about his (and my, sorta) hometown of Reading, PA. And that's on here along with Rat Pfink a Boo Boo, Incredibly Strange Zombies, and something called "Dr. Cock Luv" (subtle!).

Yeah, I'm gonna have to get this.

Didn't Nicholas Winding Refn "present" a restoration of Wild Guitar? I wonder if Severin used that version.

Glowingwabbit

#338 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri May 27, 2022 2:50 pm

agnamaracs wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:47 pm
One of his last projects was a multi-part documentary about his (and my, sorta) hometown of Reading, PA.
Oh interesting. I went to undergrad in Reading, PA. That spikes my interest a bit more.

colinr0380

#339 Post by colinr0380 » Fri May 27, 2022 2:58 pm

Here's an episode of Jonathan Ross' Incredibly Strange Film Show focused on Steckler. Interesting to learn that Vilmos Zsigmond got his start on many of these films!

I have only seen Wild Guitar out of these films but kind of love it! Although I should admit that even then I prefer the Exploitica re-edit of it!

A lot of the musical moments from these films turn up on that Golden Turkeys album, which presumably tied in with Michael Medved's book of the same name. So whilst I have not seen the films they come from, I am aware of the painfully groovy likes of Shook Out Of Shape, Yes, I Will, We're The Lemon Grove Kids, Rat Pfink and Big Boss A-Go-Go Party from Rat Pfink A Boo Boo.

And Red Letter Media tackled Blood Shack (aka The Chooper) a little while back. I like one of the comments under that video that "why would you not title this film Blood Shed?!"
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue May 31, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

brundlefly

#340 Post by brundlefly » Fri May 27, 2022 3:03 pm

Just part of the long, slow crawl toward seeing Coleman Francis in UHD.

colinr0380

#342 Post by colinr0380 » Sat May 28, 2022 7:35 am

brundlefly wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:03 pm
I'd buy a UHD of The Skydivers in a heartbeat!

And I see that Coleman Francis narrates The Thrill Killers! Which also stars Liz Renay, over a decade before she was in John Waters' Desperate Living!

brundlefly

#343 Post by brundlefly » Sat May 28, 2022 5:04 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 7:35 am
brundlefly wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:03 pm
I'd buy a UHD of The Skydivers in a heartbeat!
Now realize that, since I have the old Rhino MST3K flip-disc collection that included un-riffed versions of the movies, I own this on DVD. Hope I'm never tempted to upgrade my low-res shame.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#344 Post by swo17 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:46 pm

My signed Out of the Blue UHD arrived today!

hearthesilence

#345 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:20 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:46 pm
My signed Out of the Blue UHD arrived today!
Who ended up signing it?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#346 Post by swo17 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:41 pm

The restoration producers, who incidentally sent this message out a few days ago:
Signed and Numbered 4K UHD Disc Sets for Backers are scheduled to be shipped out tomorrow. We're so glad that we were able to offer this UHD upgrade to those that wanted it -- and we had no idea it would be so many of you!

There were some unforeseen technical difficulties both at our post-house partner Roundabout Entertainment in outputting the Dolbyvision master and then for Severin in both disc authoring and replication - [Real head-scratchers!] Because we had to have the UHD disc sets shrink-wrapped separately with hand-signed numbered covers this added an extra step also in the usual Severin work flow.

The important news is that OUT OF THE BLUE 4K Restoration looks unbelievably great in Dolbyvision HDR!

Thanks to all of you for your understanding and patience.

Because the UHD discs are greater capacity to accommodate the HDR version of the movie - we had some extra space to add some new bonus material! (and without any additional compression of the UHD feature!) The US Theatrical Opening Night Premiere Q&A With Julian Schnabel and Natasha Lyonne and Restoration Producers John Alan Simon and Elizabeth Karr at the Metrograph, NYC. Plus an additional version of the trailer - the original 1982 US theatrical version with all the clips replaced with the 4K restored footage.

We expect Severin to once again generate tracking info, but will only send out to backers if/when they need to check on the individual status.

Please let us know what you think of the UHD quality and all the disc extras!

We really appreciate hearing from so many of the DVD and Blu-ray backers about how meaningful having a beautiful copy of Dennis Hopper's astonishing film is to you!

dwk

#347 Post by dwk » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:31 pm

House Of Psychotic Women: Rarities Collection coming on 10/25/22.
In 2012 Kier-La Janisse published House of Psychotic Women, billed as “an autobiographical topography of female neurosis in horror and exploitation films.” It soon became one of the most “vital” (Tim Lucas, Video Watchdog) and “astonishing” (Daily Grindhouse) genre tomes of all time. To mark the book’s 10th anniversary, award-winning writer/programmer/filmmaker Janisse (WOODLANDS DARK AND DAYS BEWITCHED) now presents four of the strongest and strangest explorations of onscreen delirium and hysteria, all on American Blu-ray for the first time: Elizabeth Taylor stars in 1974’s IDENTIKIT (aka THE DRIVER’S SEAT) as a hostile woman who travels to Rome to find the most dangerous liaison. In the surreal 1986 Polish horror-comedy I LIKE BATS, a female vampire discovers that love may be the cruelest curse of all. Florinda Bolkan stars in the startling 1975 amnesiac giallo FOOTPRINTS from the director of THE FIFTH CORD. And British screenwriter and radical theatre icon Jane Arden directs 1972’s harrowing THE OTHER SIDE OF THE UNDERNEATH. Each film has been restored from original vault elements, with all-new introductions by the author and hours of Special Features produced exclusively for this collection.

Disc 1: Identikit (1974)
In what remains the most obscure, bizarre and wildly misunderstood film of her entire career – and perhaps even ‘70s Italian cinema – Elizabeth Taylor stars as a disturbed woman who arrives in Rome to find a city fragmented by autocratic law, leftist violence and her own increasingly unhinged mission to find the most dangerous liaison of all. Academy Award® nominee Ian Bannen (THE OFFENCE), Mona Washbourne (THE COLLECTOR) and Andy Warhol co-star in this “unique, hallucinatory neo noir” (Cult Film Freaks) – barely released in America as THE DRIVER’S SEAT – directed by Giuseppe Patroni Griffi (‘TIS PITY SHE’S A WHORE), adapted from the unnerving novella by Muriel Spark (The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie) and featuring cinematography by three-time Oscar® winner Vittorio Storaro (APOCALYPSE NOW, THE LAST EMPEROR), now restored in 4K by Cinematheque of Bologna and Severin Films.

Special Features:
Introduction By Kier-La Janisse, Author Of House Of Psychotic Women
Audio Commentary With TCM Underground Curator Millie De Chirico
A Lack Of Absence — Writer And Literary Historian Chandra Mayor On Muriel Spark And The Driver's Seat
Trailer

Disc Specs:
Aspect Ratio: 1.85.1
Audio: English Mono / Italian Mono
Closed Captions / Optional English Subtitles
Region A
Runtime: 102 min

Disc 2: I Like Bats (1986)
Directed and co-written by Grzegorz Warchol – the Polish actor best known for his performance in THREE COLORS: WHITE – this 1986 Perspektywa Film Group production combines splashes of absurdist black comedy with jolts of old-school gothic horror for a slyly contemporary take on the female bloodsucker mythos. Katarzyna Walter stars as a happily single young vampire who works in her aunt’s curio shop when not feeding on various suitors and sleazebags. But when she falls for a handsome psychiatrist, she’ll discover that no affliction is more horrific than love. Co-scripted by feminist writer/activist Krystyna Kofta and featuring poet, songwriter and cabaret icon Jonasz Kofta in his sole film role, I LIKE BATS is now scanned in 2K from the only 35mm print known to exist.

Special Features:
Audio Commentary With Kamila Wielebska, Actor And Co-Editor Of A Story Of Sin: Surrealism In Polish Cinema
TV Spot

Disc Specs:
Aspect Ratio: 1.66.1
Audio: Polish Mono
Optional English Subtitles
Region Free
Runtime: 81 min

Discs 3 & 4: Footprints (1975) – U.S. Cut and Italian Cut
In the most criminally underseen giallo of the ‘70s, Florinda Bolkan (A LIZARD IN A WOMAN’S SKIN, FLAVIA THE HERETIC) stars as a freelance translator who wakes one morning missing all memory of her past three days. But will a trail of odd clues lead her to a place where perception and identity are never what they seem? Nicoletta Elmi (DEEP RED), Evelyn Stewart (THE SWEET BODY OF DEBORAH), Lila Kedrova (THE TENANT) and Klaus Kinski co-star in this “visually stunning gem” (Mondo Digital) – also known as FOOTPRINTS ON THE MOON – directed by Luigi Bazzoni (THE FIFTH CORD) with cinematography by three-time Oscar® winner Vittorio Storaro (THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE), now scanned in 4K from the original camera negatives.

Special Features:
To The Moon — Interview With Actress Ida Galli
Nicoletta Elmi: Italian Cinema's Imp Ascendent — Video Essay By Film Scholars Alexandra Heller-Nicholas And Craig Martin
Audio Commentary With Film Historian Kat Ellinger (Italian Cut)
Light Of The Moon — Interview With Cinematographer Vittorio Storaro
Trailer

Disc Specs:
Aspect Ratio: 1.85.1
Audio: English Mono / Italian Mono
Closed Captions / Optional English Subtitles
Region A
Runtime: 93 min (U.S. Cut) / 96 min (Italian Cut)

Disc 5: The Other Side of the Underneath (1972)
It’s been called “harrowing” (The Guardian), “seriously disturbing” (Blu-ray.com) and “part documentary, part primal scream” (Screen Slate). More than half a century later, it remains all that and more: In 1972, screenwriter/feminist/radical theater icon Jane Arden adapted her own multimedia stage production "A New Communion for Freaks, Prophets and Witches" into a nightmarish exploration of reason, chaos and her own battles with mental illness unlike anything audiences have seen before or since. Sheila Allen (CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED), Ann Lynn (THE BLACK TORMENT), renowned visual artist Penny Slinger and Arden herself star in the only British feature film of the 1970s solo-directed by a woman, recently restored in 2K by the British Film Institute.

Special Features:
Extended Workprint Version Of The Film
Sheila Allen Interview
Natasha Morgan Interview
Extended Sequences
Penny Slinger Live At The Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies
PENNY SLINGER: OUT OF THE SHADOWS Trailer

Disc Specs:
Aspect Ratio: 1.33.1
Audio: English Mono
Closed Captions
Region Free
Runtime: 111 min

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#348 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:36 pm

I’ve only seen Footprints but I wasn’t impressed at all by the fiftieth variation on
SpoilerShow
heroine goes insane
Elizabeth Taylor starring in a film with Andy Warhol is tempting, though!

senseabove

#349 Post by senseabove » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:46 pm

As a fan of Taylor in OTT mode and of Spark in general, Identikit one I've been waiting to see for a long time, as the extant DVD is so bad I turned it off before the title credits were done. I have very low expectations, but I'm still excited for that one.

beamish14

#350 Post by beamish14 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:59 pm

The Driver’s Seat/Identikit is reason enough to purchase this. Probably Taylor’s last great film, and it’s a doozy.

I do hope Michael Landsay-Hogg’s Nasty Habits, another great Muriel Sparks adaptation, will get a home video release

I have the BFI’s incredible release of Other Side of the Underneath, which includes the workprint version and quite a bit more