Vinegar Syndrome et al.

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#1301 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:21 pm

swo17 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 1:30 am
I just compared The Hourglass Sanatorium to the Polish Blu-ray from the Scorsese set. To my eyes, they're from about the same source but the old Polish Blu-ray has visibly better compression
I've now also compared the two discs for The Saragossa Manuscript. In this case, I can't really tell a difference between the two transfers

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#1302 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:39 pm

This is a bit confusing regarding the Szulkin release. If I understand, it was sold out as soon as announced and that's why it's not listed on the site? I guess I'll trust a post on the blu-ray.com forum that says it'll be back on July 1st.

CSM126

#1303 Post by CSM126 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:42 pm

Wrong thread, but VS is only displaying partner label releases this month. Mainline products will be back next month.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1304 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:12 pm

Thanks. Sorry about the wrong thread, I don't quite know how that happened.

Matt

Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#1305 Post by Matt » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:21 am

SeizureMilk wrote:Asked the mods about a Deaf Crocodile thread but they said to just keep discussion of that kind here, sorry.
Booo, mods Image But fair, seeing as how DC still have less than a dozen releases. They do seem to be carving out something of a niche for themselves, though.

I will admit, I’m still very confused about the Szulkin set. Are the Vinegar Syndrome Labs releases limited to an overall number despite having “limited” and “standard” editions? The “standard” edition was sold out (not just out of stock) by the end of the recent sale, but there still seemed to be hundreds of copies of the “limited” edition for sale just before the site went dark for Partners Month. I assume both will be available again in July and that maybe VS only pressed enough of the “standard” edition that they could reasonably ship during June, but I’ve got nothing on which to base this assumption. Maybe I’ll have more luck and clarity when the Radiance set gets fully detailed.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1306 Post by swo17 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:37 am

Did the SE of the Szulkin set sell out its initial allotment, or were they trying to push the LE by not even making the SE available yet? I feel like the first time I noticed it was "sold out" was very close to the start of the sale. Some things do sell out fast, but not that fast. Did anyone here actually order the SE or see it in stock at some point? Either way, I really wouldn't worry about the SE being gone for good

brundlefly

#1307 Post by brundlefly » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:16 am

Is the booklet exclusive to the LE? If so, since it's more than a slipcover, maybe they went the route of other labels and are going to SE only after the LE sells out. All of which would have been nice to know upfront of course.

pianocrash

#1308 Post by pianocrash » Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:33 am

Matt wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:21 am
SeizureMilk wrote:Asked the mods about a Deaf Crocodile thread but they said to just keep discussion of that kind here, sorry.
Booo, mods Image But fair, seeing as how DC still have less than a dozen releases. They do seem to be carving out something of a niche for themselves, though.

I will admit, I’m still very confused about the Szulkin set. Are the Vinegar Syndrome Labs releases limited to an overall number despite having “limited” and “standard” editions? The “standard” edition was sold out (not just out of stock) by the end of the recent sale, but there still seemed to be hundreds of copies of the “limited” edition for sale just before the site went dark for Partners Month. I assume both will be available again in July and that maybe VS only pressed enough of the “standard” edition that they could reasonably ship during June, but I’ve got nothing on which to base this assumption. Maybe I’ll have more luck and clarity when the Radiance set gets fully detailed.
The VS numbers game only really matters if they specifically state at the top of any title's listing (seen on most of the OOP titles page, like this one for Heavy Metal Parking Lot, which was capped at 2,500 total, forever). I don't recall seeing that on the Szulkin page, but since it was only live for a weekend, no cache to be had. However, I do remember that the Standard Edition did sell out, which seemed totally at odds with their overall slipcover ethos (go figure), but it also was $7 less than the Limited Edition, during a site-wide sale where things like that cause people to cave into better/worse fiscal choices (YMMV!).

Anyway, VS has had a habit of goosing the numbers for whatever reason (seems to be a physical numbers-on-hand for most titles, apart from the zany numerical wilderness of their higher profile pre-orders), as they can vary wildly, especially during sales, with some numbers getting refreshed when the numbers dwindle.

As for the booklet, it might not be included on the standard edition, if Cloak & Dagger is any indication, but other, let's say, leaflets?, were usually included in the past. But that was also before this new era of 4K hardbound deluxe magnetic snapping cases, so...... ](*,)

SeizureMilk

#1309 Post by SeizureMilk » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:38 pm

swo17 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:37 am
Did the SE of the Szulkin set sell out its initial allotment, or were they trying to push the LE by not even making the SE available yet? I feel like the first time I noticed it was "sold out" was very close to the start of the sale. Some things do sell out fast, but not that fast. Did anyone here actually order the SE or see it in stock at some point? Either way, I really wouldn't worry about the SE being gone for good
I know I’m a bit late to this post but I see 2 main options:
1.) They were testing the waters to see how well it would perform as confirmed by the clues saying that it’s prep for further releases
Or
2.) A little bit more far fetched but perhaps because this was such a big event (literally every channel moderately interested in Syndrome was live streaming their reactions) and one of only 2 big sales, then most likely since standard are released in sets of I believe 1,000 or less and how many people were interested in Piotr Sulkin’s set, it’s no surprise it sold out so quick (see also Prague Nights, a similar Eastern European horror-esque release that grabbed people’s attention and after less than 2 weeks has sold over half it’s copies, or the Has films as an example of another Polish quick seller)

therewillbeblus

#1310 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:58 am

brundlefly wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:54 pm
I'm a big fan of Tilman Singer's Luz, available via Altered Innocence. For those who like inherently re-watchable pile-ons/have several souls.
I rewatched this recently and appreciated it a whole lot more this time around knowing what I was getting into. I picked up the Altered Innocence disc (not sure if it's actually going OOP, but you can get it cheap on DD and my backordered copy didn't take long to ship), and The Tilman Singer shorts are terrific extras that thrive on atmosphere, particularly The Events at Mr. Yamamoto’s Alpine Residence. The one caveat is it doesn't have SDH/English subs, and the dictation from the computer voice before the final lines was indiscernible no matter how loud I turned my volume - a bit frustrating since I'm pretty sure whatever is being said is supposed to add to the punchline of emotion before the credits. Still a great short - I'd love to see that concept stretched a bit longer, even if played in some kind of layered recycled fashion like the main feature!

brundlefly

#1311 Post by brundlefly » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:24 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:58 am
I rewatched this recently and appreciated it a whole lot more this time around knowing what I was getting into. I picked up the Altered Innocence disc (not sure if it's actually going OOP, but you can get it cheap on DD and my backordered copy didn't take long to ship), and The Tilman Singer shorts are terrific extras that thrive on atmosphere, particularly The Events at Mr. Yamamoto’s Alpine Residence. The one caveat is it doesn't have SDH/English subs, and the dictation from the computer voice before the final lines was indiscernible no matter how loud I turned my volume - a bit frustrating since I'm pretty sure whatever is being said is supposed to add to the punchline of emotion before the credits. Still a great short - I'd love to see that concept stretched a bit longer, even if played in some kind of layered recycled fashion like the main feature!
I may be missing something, but the last lines I heard from the computer in that short before the man's question were
SpoilerShow
An error message, "Out of memory, x-o-c underscore (etc.)" and then "Deviation in physique," which was just another step in the slow recognition (iris texture, height) the computer was making that they had abducted the wrong person. Such elaborate effort thrown off by refusing to consider that someone might open someone else's package.
If there was something after that, I didn't hear it. But not being able to hear and understand everything may be one of Singer's calling cards/concerns; it fits well with the hesitant, untranslated Japanese at the start and of course all the delighted confusion in Luz. I liked that short as well. Striking shots fragmenting the actor. Extra fun for Prisoner fans. I will admit to not being able to stay awake through "El Fin Del Mundo" on my one attempt at that.

SeizureMilk

#1312 Post by SeizureMilk » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:52 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:58 am
(not sure if it's actually going OOP, but you can get it cheap on DD and my backordered copy didn't take long to ship)
It's not mentioned in the list of OOP titles:
https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections ... f-print-pl

therewillbeblus

#1313 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:18 pm

It was during the sale, but not at sale price

What A Disgrace

#1314 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:51 pm

My Sale order has not shipped yet, but I did get a shipping confirmation for their June titles.

SeizureMilk

#1315 Post by SeizureMilk » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:18 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:51 pm
My Sale order has not shipped yet, but I did get a shipping confirmation for their June titles.
The reason your Sale order hasn’t shipped is because it goes Subscribers first, Flash Pre-Order next, and then non subscribers in order to productively work through orders. As for the June titles since you preordered the Partner Labels they’ll be shipped out faster and since they’re independent contractors they don’t have to worry about the Halfway to BF sale.

What A Disgrace

#1316 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:35 pm

Right, I just thought it was kind of amusing that I might get my June pre-orders before the flash sale ships.

therewillbeblus

#1317 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:18 pm

I'm not a subscriber and my sale order shipped yesterday, so expect it soon

SeizureMilk

#1318 Post by SeizureMilk » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:53 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:18 pm
I'm not a subscriber and my sale order shipped yesterday, so expect it soon
Did you order it during the Flash Pre-Order because that might explain why?

therewillbeblus

#1319 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:02 pm

I mean, I pre-ordered one item, but they ship the sale items all together so I don't think that's it

SeizureMilk

#1320 Post by SeizureMilk » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:07 pm

Maybe it’s like order stacking where because they saw you preordered one item and then got the rest they just shipped it all together, I guess

SeizureMilk

#1321 Post by SeizureMilk » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:09 pm

Seen it happen to people on the Blu-Ray Forum

MV88

#1322 Post by MV88 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:06 am

I just got my shipment confirmation yesterday, but now I’m hearing reports of audio issues on the Showgirls 4K that will likely lead to a replacement disc being sent, so if that turns out to be true, I suspect they might halt shipments of that release going forward until they get this issue sorted out. So if you ordered it during the sale and haven’t gotten a shipment confirmation yet, it’s possible you won’t be getting it until the replacement discs are ready (assuming the reports are accurate and it affects all of the discs).

therewillbeblus

#1323 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:42 pm

We're All Going to the World's Fair has been actively populating my conscious thoughts for a while - probably in part because I play Alex G's score frequently while driving, and I was much more impressed with it on a revisit. A lot's been said about its horror-commentary on internet culture and Gen Z and all that, but I came away much less disturbed and much more empathetic (and significantly, connected) to the sense of alienation and the tools used to engage with isolated feelings. Anna Cobb's behavioral choices and self-analyses all point towards a lonely person grasping for a sense of control, and her commentary on deciding to take the challenge to begin with, despite lived experience relaying objective reservations, specifically hits on how some people feel more comfortable choosing to be uncomfortable; more 'in control' choosing to be out of control. She talks about how anxiety-provoking it is to go back to a hypervigilant state of not knowing what's going to happen when she goes to sleep, but at least that acuity disrupts her banal existence of sitting with emotions without a channel to resolve them. There's something oddly comforting to a part of us about choosing our own path of self-destruction if we're already feeling lost and eaten up, since at least we have a tangible practice or idea of what's causing that feeling, and we can tell ourselves a story that we're in control of submitting to it, as opposed to being constantly coerced into submitting to life on life's terms. We can see her become relieved and liberated when she loses control at times, or when she's talking about feeling out of control - which is the reason she's touching the stone and goes hand in hand with the fear. It's such a wonderful performance by Cobb, and as talented as Schoenbrun is behind the camera, a film like this hinges on its lead's performance to sell its alienating formal approach. This film doesn't seem to be sparking that kind of intimacy with most viewers who love it, but I felt a greater warmth with Cobb -and her resilience in creatively wielding her agency- than I have with a character in a film in a long time

What A Disgrace

#1324 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:32 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:35 pm
Right, I just thought it was kind of amusing that I might get my June pre-orders before the flash sale ships.
My Flash Sale order shipped on the day I received my June orders, in fact.

Please check your A New Old Play booklets, folks. I encountered an odd printing error, in which several pages are reprinted and others are missing in their place. and though this doesn't seem to be a widespread issue, it could happen to you!

headacheboy

#1325 Post by headacheboy » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:46 pm

I just came from DibaolikDVD's site and they suddenly have copies of Piotr Szulkin’s Apocalypse Tetralogy (the Limited Edition version with slipcover and book). I picked up a copy as it sold out from under me at Vinegar Syndrome (like many other readers on this site) unexpectedly. Usually there is countdown on Diabolik as to how many remain in stock but at the moment it just reads "in stock." I certainly didn't expect to find this on the site today when I went searching for the Blu Ray of BFI's La Regle du Jeu.