Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
jazzo

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#2451 Post by jazzo » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:56 pm

swo17 wrote:Looney Tunes Vol. 3 supposedly came out last week but still appears as a preorder
That is weird. I have my copy from my local Toronto video store

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2452 Post by swo17 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:31 am

Looney Tunes Vol. 2 is $10.79 on Amazon right now with a coupon

Costa

#2453 Post by Costa » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:32 am

swo17 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:31 am
For anyone interested, I've read in a review that the audio in a short is out of sync.
I'd like to buy it, but without a replacement programme I don't.

jheez

#2454 Post by jheez » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:42 am

Costa wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:32 am
swo17 wrote:
For anyone interested, I've read in a review that the audio in a short is out of sync.
I didn't hear any noticeable sync errors, but maybe more discerning viewers would. FWIW I ran it through an AV receiver to speakers with proper speaker distances set.

dwk

#2455 Post by dwk » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

Devil's Doorway is getting a Blu-ray from WAC on April 30th.
Coming to Blu-ray on April 30th from the Warner Archive Collection!
New 2024 1080p HD master from 4K scan of best presevation elements.
DEVIL’S DOORWAY (1950)
BD-50
87 Minutes
B&W
16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
DTS-HD MA 2.0
English SDH
Directed by Anthony Mann
Special features: Classic cartoons “The Chump Champ” and “Cue Ball Cat”
Cast: Robert Taylor, Louis Calhern, Paula Raymond
Shoshone tribesman and Civil War hero Lance Poole (Robert Taylor) returns home with a Congressional Medal of Honor on his chest and a saddlebag full of dreams about prospering as a cattleman on his family’s land. But Native Americans have no citizenship, no property rights. The courts, despite the efforts of Lane’s attorney (Paula Raymond) offer no remedy. Lance and his people must fight to keep their land. Devil’s Doorway, the first of the several groundbreaking Westerns by master auteur filmmaker Anthony Mann (The Naked Spur) is one of the earliest films sympathetic to the plight of Native Americans, standing alongside the same year’s Broken Arrow. Perhaps not coincidentally, Lane Poole’s tribal name is Broken Lance.

Finch

#2456 Post by Finch » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

Friendly Persuasion, The Nun's Story & You're A Big Boy Now got pushed to May 14.

More Anthony Mann is excellent news. Bob Taylor is playing a Native American in Devil's Doorway and I'm half expecting WAC to put a notice in front of the movie to say yes we know the indigenous lead is played by a white guy but it was either that or no film at all in 1950 so please don't get upset about it.

Hoping either Sony upgrades Black Book/Reign of Terror to BD themselves or let Indicator take care of it. Are we still thinking Winchester 73 is with CC (since KL haven't licensed it or not been able to)?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2457 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

I’d rather they rescue the Tall Target from their DVD-R holdings, alas

tolbs1010

#2458 Post by tolbs1010 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 pm

An unlikely upgrade that I would love to see is Zandy's Bride. It seems no one involved with this film was happy with it (Hackman, Troell, WB), but there is so much there to like. Watching it again recently, it feels like a film that was drastically cut down by the studio with whole scenes excised and others trimmed. No proof that this is true, but some of the cuts are jarring and the overall pacing and structure feel...off. Still, there are some remarkable scenes. It has the same kind of authentic feel for actual Western living that McCabe & Mrs. Miller has. Troell wasn't allowed to serve as his own cinematographer due to union rules, but the film looks wonderful nonetheless thanks to Jordan Cronenweth. Troell's trademark eye for small visual details that say so much is still present. The leads are both excellent (though Hackman's Zandy is relentlessly unlikable), and there are brief but memorable performances from great character actors (Stanton, Tyrell, Eileen Heckart, Frank Cady).

I admit to an immediate bias towards this film due to the Big Sur setting. It's awesome to see Hackman riding a horse down the Sur with the ocean in the background. I'd like to see it in a better presentation. 50th Anniversary Special Edition time!

beamish14

#2459 Post by beamish14 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:20 pm

tolbs1010 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 pm
An unlikely upgrade that I would love to see is Zandy's Bride. It seems no one involved with this film was happy with it (Hackman, Troell, WB), but there is so much there to like. Watching it again recently, it feels like a film that was drastically cut down by the studio with whole scenes excised and others trimmed. No proof that this is true, but some of the cuts are jarring and the overall pacing and structure feel...off. Still, there are some remarkable scenes. It has the same kind of authentic feel for actual Western living that McCabe & Mrs. Miller has. Troell wasn't allowed to serve as his own cinematographer due to union rules, but the film looks wonderful nonetheless thanks to Jordan Cronenweth. Troell's trademark eye for small visual details that say so much is still present. The leads are both excellent (though Hackman's Zandy is relentlessly unlikable), and there are brief but memorable performances from great character actors (Stanton, Tyrell, Eileen Heckart, Frank Cady).

I admit to an immediate bias towards this film due to the Big Sur setting. It's awesome to see Hackman riding a horse down the Sur with the ocean in the background. I'd like to see it in a better presentation. 50th Anniversary Special Edition time!

I’m a big fan of this film as well and was just thinking about it the other day. The Archive disc looks exceptionally poor and dirty

Costa

#2460 Post by Costa » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:35 am

jheez wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:42 am
Costa wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:32 am
swo17 wrote:
I didn't hear any noticeable sync errors, but maybe more discerning viewers would. FWIW I ran it through an AV receiver to speakers with proper speaker distances set.
I read it here:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/looney ... ay-review/
It's in the short The Eager Beaver.