Deaf Crocodile

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Finch

Re: Deaf Crocodile

#276 Post by Finch » Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:42 pm

^ Turbine and The Frighteners comes to mind. It still hasn't had a release elsewhere.

MichaelB

#277 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:00 am

I'm very pleasantly surprised that they haven't overlapped with Second Run yet. True, their emphases are slightly different - Second Run is more towards the auteur-driven arthouse end of central/eastern European cinema, while Deaf Crocodile is much more into genre films and animation, but Second Run's Ikarie XB-1 and Tomorrow I'll Wake Up And Scald Myself With Tea would fit perfectly into the Deaf Crocodile catalogue.

Interestingly, they're both putting out Oldřich Lipský films this year, but they've picked different ones - Second Run did Happy End, while Deaf Crocodile did Mysterious Castle in the Carpathians and the forthcoming Adela Has Not Had Supper Yet.

Incidentally, if you have the BFI's Jan Švankmajer shorts set, there's a five-minute compilation of Švankmajer-designed scenes from Adela, under the alternative English title Nick Carter in Prague. And it's so obviously Švankmajer's work that it's hilarious - I've said this before, but the man-eating plant's distressingly realistic tongue is as convincing as a signature.

(Švankmajer was banned from making his own films at the time, so took a day job as a VFX supervisor at the Barrandov Studios in Prague - hence his collaborations with Lipský.)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#278 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:55 pm

As a reminder, subscriptions through DiabolikDVD close at the end of the month