FrauBlucher wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2026 3:01 pm
Here's a good one...
Coming Soon on 4KUHD!
Brand New UHD SDR Master by UCLA!
PITFALL (1948) Starring Dick Powell, Lizabeth Scott, Raymond Burr, Jane Wyatt & John Litel – Shot by Harry J. Wild (Murder My Sweet, The Big Steel) – Screenplay by Karl Kamb (Main Street After Dark, The Captive City) – Directed by Andre De Toth (House of Wax, Crime Wave, Day of the Outlaw, Play Dirty).
Wow! Hadn't seen that coming.
It would be nice with new commentary as well, though the old Eddie Muller one isn't bad. The main thing is the upgrade, of course (fingers crossed).
French Noir III announced (hopefully better than the previous set...)
Coming Soon on Blu-ray!
2K Restorations by Gaumont!
French Noir: Collection III
• The Last One of Six (1941) Starring Pierre Fresnay | Michèle Alfa | Suzy Delair | Jean Tissier
Shot by Robert Lefebvre (Casque d’Or)
Screenplay by Henri-Georges Clouzot (The Wages of Fear)
Based on a Novel by Stanislas-André Steeman (The Murderer Lives at Number 21)
Directed by Georges Lacombe (The Night Is My Kingdom)
• The Moment of Truth (1952) Starring Jean Gabin | Michèle Morgan | Daniel Gélin | Doris Duranti
Shot by Gianni Di Venanzo (8 ½) | Luise Hölscher | Robert Lefebvre (Marie-Octobre)
Directed by Jean Delannoy (Inspector Maigret)
• The Strange Mr. Steve (1957) Jeanne Moreau | Lino Ventura | Philippe Lemaire | Armand Mestral
Shot by Jacques Lemare (They Were Five)
Screenplay by Raymond Bailly & Frédéric Dard (The Beast is Loose)
Directed by Raymond Bailly (Seul... à corps perdu)
• Paris Pick-Up (1962) Robert Hossein | Lea Massari | Robert Dalban | Maurice Biraud
Shot by André Bac (Le Jour Se Léve)
Score by Georges Delerue (A Little Romance)
Screenplay by Marcel Bluwal & Frédéric Dard (Back to the Wall)
Directed Marcel Bluwal (A Killing Success)
The Lacombe is a Msr Wens story, a character recently seen in the omnibus Indicator released, and was produced during Nazi occupation (seems like we’re seeing a lot of these films lately). It was already subbed in English on the French Blu, so not much of a rescue. The Bluwal is a masterpiece but already released by Radiance. Haven’t seen the Dellanoy but those are three major stars in it, so I’m intrigued
Bluwal is credited with “A Killing Success” which is an alternate title for Carambolages. Let’s hope that means it’s on Kino’s radar (though I doubt it)
ChunkyLover wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2026 9:21 pm
French Noir III announced (hopefully better than the previous set...)
• Paris Pick-Up (1962) Robert Hossein | Lea Massari | Robert Dalban | Maurice Biraud
Shot by André Bac (Le Jour Se Léve)
Score by Georges Delerue (A Little Romance)
Screenplay by Marcel Bluwal & Frédéric Dard (Back to the Wall)
Directed Marcel Bluwal (A Killing Success)
Well this alone makes it better than all the previous releases, I thought Criterion had it. It's also in Radiance's World Noir 4., so maybe they decided to hold off for a 4k resto.
Haven't seen three of the films, but I liked The Moment of Truth.
The previous set was mostly kind of blah, but I'd still recommend La mort de belle (The Passion of Slow Fire).
A sharp acidic mystery with Simenon's story transplanted from America to Switzerland, tautly directed and well
acted, especially Jean Desailly.
ATLANTIC CITY (1980) Starring Burt Lancaster, Susan Sarandon, Kate Reid, Michel Piccoli, Hollis McLaren, Robert Joy, Al Waxman, Robert Goulet, Ces Linder & Wallace Shawn – Shot by Richard Ciupka (The Terry Fox Story) – Music by Michel Legrand (The Thomas Crown Affair) – Screenplay by John Guare (Taking Off, Six Degrees of Separation) – Directed by Louis Malle (Elevator in the Gallows, Viva Maria!, Murmur of the Heart, Au Revoir Les Enfants, Vanya on 42nd Street).
domino harvey wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2026 8:22 pm
Was just wondering when it would be since they happen every quarter and there’s only a few more days left on this one
Going OOP and added to the While Supplies Last sale:
Adventures of Captain Marvel (Serial)
Baxter
Below the Belt
The Blue Lamp
Carole Lombard Collection I
Carole Lombard Collection II
Chains of Gold
The Claim
Fluke
Garbo Talks
Goldengirl
Happy Birthday to Me (Special Edition)
Honky Tonk Freeway
I Walk Alone
The Kiss Before the Mirror
Love with a Proper Stranger
Madame Rosa
Paravision Dreams: The Golden Age 3-D Films
Percy
Quantez
The Reincarnation of Peter Proud
Seven Sinners
Son of Ali Baba
The Sporting Club
The System (aka The Girl-Getters)
They Came to Cordura
Tony Curtis Collection
The Veil
The War
Who Done It?
I Walk Alone, Love With the Proper Stranger, and Quantez come recommended!
I second I Walk Alone & would add The Blue Lamp & The Kiss Before The Mirror.
Honky Tonk Freeway was an oddball satire that I loved as a kid as it turned up on HBO in its early days, but I don't know how well it holds up today as I haven't watched it in decades, but I remember it makes a good double bill with Smile.
Kiss Before the Mirror is available from Indicator (standalone) and Imprint (Whale box). The System also had an Indicator release (now OOP) but there are still affordable copies on eBay