Two Mrs Carrolls is Bogart’s worst film. Unconscionable choice
domino harvey wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:38 pmthe Two Mrs Carrolls (Peter Godfrey 1947) A film so bad that Warners sat on it for years waiting for Bogart to be popular enough for it to not matter to audiences. Bogart and Barbara Stanwyck are the unlikely pairing at the center of this ripoff of Suspicion and Gaslight, with Bogart's worst performance (I haven't seen them all but there's no possible way he was ever worse than this) and one of the worst child performances ever captured. Lots of milestones here, none of them positive.
domino harvey wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:25 pm Johnny Eager's probably more a gangster film than noir, but nevertheless, it's a real crackerjack with a fun Robert Taylor performance-- I'm starting to wonder if I've had such a negative view of Taylor just because his best roles are buried in TCM/Archive limbo? Van Heflin’s drunktank act is a little tired, though surprise surprise, the Academy gave him an Oscar for it. This one has some clever setpieces and good interplay between worlds of deception and is a nice entry in the tail-end of the gangster genre. It is also a better film than anything in the last two Gangster sets-- seriously, someone wanted Picture Snatcher over this?
My Favorite Wife leaves only Destination Tokyo and the Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer left from the Cary Grant Signature box, so I assume/hope they’re on the docket
And Babes in Arms means they’re willing to release the blackface Mickey and Judy musicals, so I’m sure the other one is coming soon too
WTF I just learned that like many of us, Van Heflin is an Oklahoman. He even went to OU! Granted he won in an absolutely miserable year of contenders (I like Bendix better but they were never giving him an Oscar) but I guess I can feel a little better about it now
I will say, something about My Favorite Wife really repels me, as do the two remakes (Move Over, Darling and the aborted Monroe one). Like, everything about it is too weird and otherwise traumatic to possibly be all that funny, and it’s not really clear why they kept trying to make it work
The main guy mentioned on the podcast that he’d like to release Up the Down Staircase, which unfortunately implies it isn’t one of the 100+ titles in development. Was really hoping that one would pop up some month soon
domino harvey wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 12:36 am
The main guy mentioned on the podcast that he’d like to release Up the Down Staircase, which unfortunately implies it isn’t one of the 100+ titles in development. Was really hoping that one would pop up some month soon
I would love to finally get that in 4K. An absolute gem.
To add to dom's review of Johnny Eager, the Letterboxd takes are pretty kind/solid across the board, too. If you forced me at gunpoint to buy any of November's titles, it'd be this one. Zhivago's UHD hopefully means they're now done with Lean's plodding epics and give us The Treasure of the Sierra Madre as one of two 4Ks in December, the other hopefully being The Devils.
I mean, for me, 4K UHD of Doctor Zhivago and a BD of Bachelor Mother is a great month for those alone, as they are two favorites. Getting another 3D title in The Charge at Feather River with the 3D version of Lumber-Jack Rabbit is a nice little bonus.
very diabolical month for me personally. I have grown to like many of David Lean's films but Zhivago is definitely not one
I was wondering out loud with my sister tonight when they might visit some of their Hitchcock holdings for 4K...they did North by Northwest but kinda stopped there. feel like Strangers on a Train and Dial M for Murder should happen any time now? especially when you consider how quickly Universal got out all their holdings
captveg wrote:I mean, for me, 4K UHD of Doctor Zhivago and a BD of Bachelor Mother is a great month for those alone, as they are two favorites. Getting another 3D title in The Charge at Feather River with the 3D version of Lumber-Jack Rabbit is a nice little bonus.
Warner suddenly releasing a bunch of golden age 3D films that have never been released in the format is hugely exciting. We already know The Bounty Hunter got restored and The 3D Film Archive also just hinted that Devil’s Canyon and Second Chance would be upcoming
Have the 4k releases here improved? Know that the NXNW and Searchers restorations mostly looked amazing but had a ton of filtered audio. Is that still the case with some of their more recent releases?
Mark this down as idle time while having morning coffee… The early signs suggest that WAC will survive (could be totally wrong, sigh). My thoughts and hopes and dreams, haha, is Feltenstein and company actually get handed the Paramount catalogue to curate and release either under the current Archive label or create a Paramount version. As much as we bitch about what they haven’t released yet, they do a stellar job with many of their releases. So this would be a total win for the collector enthusiasts
Paramount has been licensing for so long that there’s not much left to release, so I hope if WA does continue it doesn’t dilite further considering there are sooo many WB/RKO/MGM/et al holdings still not out there, more than enough for decades of releases
I kind of agree but wonder if there will be some sort of consolidating for a small group of an enthusiasts’ market. If it has to go in one direction or the other I certainly hope it’s WAC (signs pointing up) and by default they could be responsible for the Paramount catalog, especially the 50s and 60s eras. Hopefully it won’t lead to what you suggest, Dom. Maybe they will take on select titles that can be released in UHD or improve upon the previous releases
For those who pay attention to the technical side how has Paramount been with their older releases?